Is George Whitfield really a "QB Whipererer"?

#34fan

Is this guy legit??? Sure, he's worked with some big names, (Luck, RG3, Manziell) but the results have been questionable... According to Cardale Jones, Whitfield taught him improper footwork. Then there's questions about his resume...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/george-whitfield-qb-coach-afl-060414

Would you recommend his services to Trubisky, Watson, or any of the QB's coming out this year?

Cousins, Tannehill, Brock osweiler, Chandler Harnish and Matt Blanchard are the qbs listed in the bio. Ouch

on the other side of that, he has quite a few QBs paying him to get themselves better.

Is a QB Coach we know of who just kills it with success?

i bet there is not. Also, because the QBs do not become amazing does not quiet equate to the Coaches suck now does it ( not a shot at you breh )

I apply the same rule to him as I do to Kiper and McShay....If they were really "gurus" some NFL team would be paying them A LOT more money than ESPN.

Maybe some team would if they would be willing to work as hard as coaches who often put in ungodly hours. It is why many of the talking heads who used to be coaches no longer are and settle for just being a broadcaster now.

Maybe some team would if they would be willing to work as hard as coaches who often put in ungodly hours. It is why many of the talking heads who used to be coaches no longer are and settle for just being a broadcaster now.

"You want me to just sit around for a few hours talking football with other guys and you'll pay me what?"

I don't know how much I really believe in this "QB Guru" stuff. There's part of me that believes a QB either has it or doesn't. It's one thing when these guys are in high school, but it's another when they are already pros.

Yup. We see that with pitching coaches in baseball. Remember when Leo Mazzone was responsible for those great Braves rotations? Then he went to the Orioles and somehow wasn't able to turn guys named Adam Loewen and Daniel Cabrera into the next Smoltz and Glavine. And then Mike Maddux was the flavor of the month with the Rangers, despite not having had the best record as a pitching coach before that with the Brewers. QB coaches seem to have an impact in working with coordinators to help a young QB with natural ability to internalize an offensive scheme/quickly move through his progressions, but I have yet to see anyone have a significant/repeated impact on teaching things like footwork/release point and all that technical stuff people obsess over. In fact, a lot of really good QBs succeed despite having objectively suboptimal mechanics - Stafford, Rivers, etc.

I don't know how much I really believe in this "QB Guru" stuff. There's part of me that believes a QB either has it or doesn't. It's one thing when these guys are in high school, but it's another when they are already pros.

That's kind of like saying post-college track athletes either have it or don't - and don't need coaches anymore.

Lots of coaches - Bill Walsh, for example - are/were really big on coaching technique at the pro level. No college athlete is a perfectly polished gem when they enter the NFL.

I do think, though, there's a certain amount of innate accuracy that can't be changed. Some of accuracy is purely genetic. But completion rates go up when QBs improve their footwork, throwing mechanics, ability to read defenses, progressions, pocket presence, etc. This is where QB gurus can help.