Whaley wants Cardale to be 2017 starter

If he is obviously better than EJ, then he still would have been made #2. They would have been naming him to the roster as backup and not dressing EJ.

I think that the thought was EJ can finish the game. They want to put Cardale in position to succeed. If it would have been multiple weeks they would have gotten CJ ready to play. They didn't want to have to play him yet but they knew EJ was a scrub.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the thought was EJ can finish the game. They want to put Cardale in position to succeed. If it would have been multiple weeks they would have gotten CJ ready to play. They didn't want to have to play him yet but they knew EJ was a scrub.

Exactly. The Bills decided before the year started the pecking order. Tyrod starter, EJ backup, Cardale developmental QB that would never dress.

If this is the route they decide to go wouldn't totally be against it. If you are not going to pay Taylor. I would be in favor of signing veteran QB to back up Cardale like McCown. If we bottom out in 2017 we are in good shape to land top QB in 2018 draft. We could still draft a QB in 2017 but not in the 1st rd.

However, if they decide to do this they need to be all in and that means blowing up team. Letting Gilmore walk and cutting some high priced veteran players like Graham, Woods, Williams both Kyle and Aaron, etc...

It's time to tank.

Spending significant money on a QB who can't help the team win more than 8 games is a waste of time and money.

Throw Cardale in there. Hope for the best, but gladly accept the worst.

This makes Whaley smart, in my opinion.

not a terrible idea if you consider all the other QB's out there to be nothing more than 8 game winners. This saves a ton of money and surrounds a "rookie" QB with good weapons, perhaps keeps the D intact and adds at WR and OL. If he fails, you could draft Sam Darnold in 2018.

Edited by RyanC883

If this is the route they decide to go wouldn't totally be against it. If you are not going to pay Taylor. I would be in favor of signing veteran QB to back up Cardale like McCown. If we bottom out in 2017 we are in good shape to land top QB in 2018 draft. We could still draft a QB in 2017 but not in the 1st rd.

However, if they decide to do this they need to be all in and that means blowing up team. Letting Gilmore walk and cutting some high priced veteran players like Graham, Woods, Williams both Kyle and Aaron, etc...

Good, we can continue to suck for 5 more years......outstanding

It's time to tank.

Spending significant money on a QB who can't help the team win more than 8 games is a waste of time and money.

Draft Chad Kelly and sell fans on the QB battle in training camp.

I think you are inventing a scenario to fit your opinion of Cardale.

Seems incredibly obvious to me that Cardale wasn't outperforming anybody. If he had been, the coaches surely would have moved him up a notch to number 2. It is crazy to think otherwise.

No we can't play him because we just drafted him and he's not supposed to be ready yet? How absurd is that?

You don't think the coaches and Whaley would have been happy to announce Cardale is progressing faster than we thought and has earned the move to number 2. Then we could realistically think he might have a legit shot at being a starter this year.

Coaches and GM would be very happy to start a draft guy sooner if he was outplaying the other guy(s). Ridiculous to think otherwise.

Oh, he is playing too well in practice. We better not let him play in a real game. Think about how ridiculous that sounds.

It's time to tank.

The Buffalo sports mentality.....let's keep losing....maybe we'll win one day

Seems incredibly obvious to me that Cardale wasn't outperforming anybody. If he had been, the coaches surely would have moved him up a notch to number 2. It is crazy to think otherwise.

No we can't play him because we just drafted him and he's not supposed to be ready yet? How absurd is that?

You don't think the coaches and Whaley would have been happy to announce Cardale is progressing faster than we thought and has earned the move to number 2. Then we could realistically think he might have a legit shot at being a starter this year.

Coaches and GM would be very happy to start a draft guy sooner if he was outplaying the other guy(s). Ridiculous to think otherwise.

Oh, he is playing too well in practice. We better not let him play in a real game. Think about how ridiculous that sounds.

I have no opinion on Cardale other than what we saw last. He did not look ready.

The Buffalo sports mentality.....let's keep losing....maybe we'll win one day

Actually, the mentality is .... let's keep hovering around .500 ... maybe we'll win one day.

That hasn't worked for the last 17 years.

We should try something different.

Not really, teams do that all of the time. It's not uncommon that the vet finishes the game and the young guy plays for weeks. The Texans kind of did it with Tom Savage (although he entered during a game).

You don't put the rookie in to finish a game. You give him a week to prepare. If he isn't ready you start the vet and try again the next week. This isn't uncommon at all in the NFL. The staff knew EJ sucked. He wasn't going to be the answer in an extended absence of TT. They would have rolled Cardale out and let him sink or swim.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Actually, the mentality is .... let's keep hovering around .500 ... maybe we'll win one day.

That hasn't worked for the last 17 years.

We should try something different.

I would love to compete for a playoff spot and win games. But when I look at this roster do I see a 9-7 or 10-6 team. No.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.” Sun Tzu

With Tyrod playing well enough to keep us in the playoff race into December (and healthy), what would have been the benefit of announcing that Cardale has surpassed EJ on the depth chart? When has a similar situation happened, ever? I have very little with which to base my opinion of CJ, just like you, but to say he's no good because the team didn't officially promote him to #2 is just absurd, IMO.

Carucci used to be a reputable reporter. Now he's just a hack.

seriously. he has fallen totally off the cliff of credibility. its sad to see someone who used to be so good fall so far. its like hes losing his mind

serious question: how old is he? is there any chance hes developing early dementia? im not even joking, something seems wrong that he can turn so completely in the other direction from where he used to be