Report: "Tyrod unwilling to take less to remain with bills"

I think expecting the D to improve from a 27th ranking in DVOA...........when they were rarely asked to overcome a turnover............is a very reasonable expectation.

And for all we dog Danny Crosshairs special teams units.......the Bills were actually leading the NFL in fewest yards per return going into the Raiders game...........it's not like this unit was constantly put in tough situations..........Rex/Rob/Thurman were utterly incompetent.

If you add that to the stretch lf 17 TDs in 18 RZ possessions I do not know how you couldn't expect it to improve? This holds especially true when you look at how effective they were before with largely the same group. They had one of the worst stretches in NFL history. I don't think that is hyperbole either. Unless a team has given up 18 TDs on 18 straight RZ possessions. If they are just okay the team takes big steps. 27th in DVOA doesn't suggest okay.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect the Bills simple zone schemes to be carved up by Tom Brady next year. Maybe against weaker teams we will "play faster" and beat up on some scrub QB's.

I don't get where this great improvement is coming from. Is it because Rex was holding back all the talent? You really believe that?

Of course. :doh:

You really believe he was doing anywhere close to the best he could with these guy?

You probably thought Wannstedt wasn't holding them back when Alex Smith and the Niners put 650 yards on that Bills D and the Seahawks put up 50 plus on them in Toronto.

Coaching can make a huge difference on defense and nothing turns around easier than defense.

Of course. :doh:

You really believe he was doing anywhere close to the best he could with these guy?

You probably thought Wannstedt wasn't holding them back when Alex Smith and the Niners put 650 yards on that Bills D and the Seahawks put up 50 plus on them in Toronto.

Coaching can make a huge difference on defense and nothing turns around easier than defense.

Sure, coaching can make a huge difference. Who is calling the plays next year?

I expect the Bills simple zone schemes to be carved up by Tom Brady next year. Maybe against weaker teams we will "play faster" and beat up on some scrub QB's.

I don't get where this great improvement is coming from. Is it because Rex was holding back all the talent? You really believe that?

yu mean a qb that carves up every nfl team will also carve us up? probably....but maybe we wont make everyone else LOOK like brady

yu mean a qb that carves up every nfl team will also carve us up? probably....but maybe we wont make everyone else LOOK like brady

I expect simple zones, non-aggressive defense to make our team look even worse next year against Brady. As for the other teams waiting to find out who is calling the plays.

Sure, coaching can make a huge difference. Who is calling the plays next year?

I'm not a big fan of McDermott and Frazier's past defensive work but I felt the same way when they hired Schwartz.........who had fielded mostly mediocre defenses before coming to Buffalo.........and he had clearly improved with age.

In a league that values young, innovative minds the defensive side of the ball is still dominated by older coaches who have often improved with age.

Is it hard to imagine the Bills making the playoffs with TT? It makes sense that once in the playoffs, anything can happen. The best team doesn't always win or even make it to the Super Bowl once in the playoffs. So if the Bills get to the playoffs with TT, why can't they win or make it to the Super Bowl.

The Patriots never allowed a team in the regular season score more than 25 points (Bills week 8 and that's it). The Bills in contrast, allowed 25 or more points 8 times. ALL LOSSES. Allowed 30 or more points 6 times (twice by the Jets).

3 (Miami twice and 1st Jets game) of these games could have been won by just 1 final defensive stop another if Woods was looking at his QB when he was scrambling on the final play of the Seattle game. They teach that in PeeWee.

The topic that should be flooding this Wall is how we're going to improve our defense to make this a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Not who's going to be our QB, we already have one. We'd be stupid to let him go. If it was so easy to produce a QB better than TT the Bills would already have one. We haven't had anyone better in 17 years.

Is it hard to imagine the Bills making the playoffs with TT? It makes sense that once in the playoffs, anything can happen. The best team doesn't always win or even make it to the Super Bowl once in the playoffs. So if the Bills get to the playoffs with TT, why can't they win or make it to the Super Bowl.

The Patriots never allowed a team in the regular season score more than 25 points (Bills week 8 and that's it). The Bills in contrast, allowed 25 or more points 8 times. ALL LOSSES. Allowed 30 or more points 6 times (twice by the Jets).

3 (Miami twice and 1st Jets game) of these games could have been won by just 1 final defensive stop another if Woods was looking at his QB when he was scrambling on the final play of the Seattle game. They teach that in PeeWee.

The topic that should be flooding this Wall is how we're going to improve our defense to make this a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Not who's going to be our QB, we already have one. We'd be stupid to let him go. If it was so easy to produce a QB better than TT the Bills would already have one. We haven't had anyone better in 17 years.

The top 4 teams in the playoffs with elite QBs this year beg to differ

decisions, decisions

with or without Taylor McD is in for a big challenge going forward.

draft

fa/replacing players

scheme adjustments

schedule

it would seem this would be Whaley's last regime carousel if it were to fail and they need to improve in all phases, especially defense. offense was top 10 last season but one could expect changes with a new OC and still question remaining at the most important position? could be as good, better, or worse?

I believe the D improves with McD/Frazier/Waufle bringing in a new philosophy and discipline...

I'm not a big fan of McDermott and Frazier's past defensive work but I felt the same way when they hired Schwartz.........who had fielded mostly mediocre defenses before coming to Buffalo.........and he had clearly improved with age.

In a league that values young, innovative minds the defensive side of the ball is still dominated by older coaches who have often improved with age.

Yes in fact when they appointed Schwartz you said during that offseason you'd have preferred a DC who doesn't need such specific high priced talent (ie. Pass rushers) to win. Shall I remind you of the example you gave......?

The playoffs are a matchup game. Yes, it's possible the Bills could beat a Houston or Kansas City type team in the playoffs. But we've seen repeatedly what happens when we play a motivated Brady-Pats team, we saw what happened when we played the Steelers, eventually you are going to run into a game where you need to outscore the opposing team. With Tyrod at QB the team is not built to win those types of games.