28. Brock Osweiler

29. Jared Goff

Need Replacing:

30. Ryan Fitzpatrick

31. Colin Kaepernick

32. Robert Griffin III

21. Tyrod Taylor

Gugny,

How could you put Eli in the ELITE category? He had one of his worst years ever and he has always been a turnover machine.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got asked by a non-Bills supporting NFL loving friend last week where I thought Tyrod ranked in the NFL Quarterbacks. I though long and hard about the way I would categorise and rank them taking into account play in 2016, overall body of work and potential. Here is what I came up with.....

Elite:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Rothlisberger

Definite Franchise Quarterbacks:

5. Matt Ryan

6. Philip Rivers

7. Russell Wilson

8. Andrew Luck

9. Matthew Stafford

10. Eli Manning

11. Joe Flacco

12. Cam Newton

Next Gen:

13. Derek Carr

14. Marcus Mariota

15. Jameis Winston

16. Dak Prescott

The Game Managers:

17. Alex Smith

18. Andy Dalton

19. Kirk Cousins

20. Ryan Tannehill

21. Tyrod Taylor

22. Sam Bradford

The Down Slope:

23. Carson Palmer

24. Jay Cutler

The Unproven:

25. Carson Wentz

26. Blake Bortles

27. Trevor Seimian

28. Brock Osweiler

29. Jared Goff

Need Replacing:

30. Ryan Fitzpatrick

31. Colin Kaepernick

32. Robert Griffin III

Flame away TBD..... do your worst.....

Excellent work. Eli is fading. Maybe he belongs in the down slope.

Your ranking of TT is reasonable and fair. Considering your assessment you are making a case to let him go and not be bothered by it. I'm a little more generous with my ranking of Cousins. I wouldn't be reluctant to move him up to the next generation.

Gugny,

How could you put Eli in the ELITE category? He had one of his worst years ever and he has always been a turnover machine.

Because I'm not silly enough to judge a QB who has two rings simply on one subpar season.

Gugny,

I almost took the time to write an honest reply, until I realized you're a Patriots*** fan and of course you don't like Eli Manning.

I also think it's worth noting that Eli completed 63% of his passes for over 4,000 yards with 26 TDs and 16 INTs ... on their way to the playoffs.

I'd also point out that the 26 TDs is 2 below his yearly average. And the 16 INTs represent an average season for him. Oh, the 63% completion rate ... yeah, his best season ever was 63.1%.

No one would argue that he was elite as recently as last season. For this year, his numbers were just par for HIS course. His course that is leading him into Canton.

That makes him elite.

~fin

Edited by Gugny

Because I'm not silly enough to judge a QB who has two rings simply on one subpar season.

Except it isn't one season. Eli threwout his career is either good or awful. He is IMO way to inconsistent to be Elite, franchise sure.

Also Eli if you watched the games looked ok, but he would strike fear in no good team. He also had a sub par year because just LOOK at the WR talent he had and he did his average. You put Cruz and OBJ with ANY of the other elites and not only do they have career years so does that QB and I dare say they break records.

I have never heard ANYONE call Eli Elite. No one has ever ranked him in the top 5 anywhere. So no even last year he was not Elite.

Edited by PatsFanNH

I got asked by a non-Bills supporting NFL loving friend last week where I thought Tyrod ranked in the NFL Quarterbacks. I though long and hard about the way I would categorise and rank them taking into account play in 2016, overall body of work and potential. Here is what I came up with.....

Elite:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Rothlisberger

5. Matt Ryan

6. Philip Rivers

7. Russell Wilson

8. Andrew Luck

9. Matthew Stafford

10. Eli Manning

11. Joe Flacco

12. Cam Newton

Next Gen:

13. Derek Carr

14. Marcus Mariota

15. Jameis Winston

16. Dak Prescott

The Game Managers:

17. Alex Smith

18. Andy Dalton

19. Kirk Cousins

20. Ryan Tannehill

21. Tyrod Taylor

22. Sam Bradford

The Down Slope:

23. Carson Palmer

24. Jay Cutler

The Unproven:

25. Carson Wentz

26. Blake Bortles

27. Trevor Seimian

28. Brock Osweiler

29. Jared Goff

Need Replacing:

30. Ryan Fitzpatrick

31. Colin Kaepernick

32. Robert Griffin III

Nice work here. Close enough to my opinion to agree for the most part.

Elite:
1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Ben Rothlisberger
5. Matt Ryan

6. Philip Rivers
7. Russell Wilson
8. Andrew Luck
9. Matthew Stafford
10. Eli Manning
11. Cam Newton
Next Gen:
12. Derek Carr
13. Marcus Mariota
14. Jameis Winston
15. Dak Prescott

16. Kirk Cousins
The Game Managers:

17. Joe Flacco
18. Alex Smith
19. Andy Dalton
20. Ryan Tannehill
21. Tyrod Taylor
22. Sam Bradford
The Down Slope:
23. Carson Palmer
24. Jay Cutler
The Unproven:
25. Carson Wentz
26. Blake Bortles
27. Trevor Seimian
28. Jared Goff
Need Replacing:

29: Brock Osweiler
30. Ryan Fitzpatrick
31. Colin Kaepernick
32. Robert Griffin III

Elite:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Rothlisberger

5. Matt Ryan

6. Philip Rivers

7. Russell Wilson

8. Andrew Luck

9. Matthew Stafford

10. Eli Manning

11. Joe Flacco

12. Cam Newton

Next Gen:

13. Derek Carr

14. Marcus Mariota

15. Jameis Winston

16. Dak Prescott

The Game Managers:

17. Alex Smith

18. Andy Dalton

19. Kirk Cousins

20. Ryan Tannehill

21. Tyrod Taylor

22. Sam Bradford

The Down Slope:

23. Carson Palmer

24. Jay Cutler

The Unproven:

25. Carson Wentz

26. Blake Bortles

27. Trevor Seimian

28. Brock Osweiler

29. Jared Goff

Need Replacing:

30. Ryan Fitzpatrick

31. Colin Kaepernick

32. Robert Griffin III

It's debatable but i'd take Tyrod over all the other "game managers".

IMO he adds about 15-20% onto the rushing production over what those guys would.

Basically a yard or a bit more per carry and extra scores.

And that's before HIS OWN rushing totals/TD production.......which I assume are part of the equation already.

The system matters significantly........it puts him in position to do things that he does well.......but it matters a lot with the other game managers as well.

In my opinion he is about 15th best QB in the NFL right now and in the short term he might be more scoring impactful than some of those in the top 15 even.

And though skepticism is warranted........he may have room for improvement.

Whether he gets that much hotter at what he's cold at or not......I still don't think he's come all that close to hitting his ceiling statistically.......I think 35-40 total TD's accounted for rushing and passing....and a near the top of league scoring offense is probably his ceiling if given health and a significant weapon added opposite Sammy at WR2.

Edited by #BADOL

Elite:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Rothlisberger

5. Matt Ryan

6. Philip Rivers

7. Russell Wilson

8. Andrew Luck

9. Matthew Stafford

10. Eli Manning

11. Joe Flacco

12. Cam Newton

Next Gen:

13. Derek Carr

14. Marcus Mariota

15. Jameis Winston

16. Dak Prescott

The Game Managers:

17. Alex Smith

18. Andy Dalton

19. Kirk Cousins

20. Ryan Tannehill

21. Tyrod Taylor

22. Sam Bradford

The Down Slope:

23. Carson Palmer

24. Jay Cutler

The Unproven:

25. Carson Wentz

26. Blake Bortles

27. Trevor Seimian

28. Brock Osweiler

29. Jared Goff

Need Replacing:

30. Ryan Fitzpatrick

31. Colin Kaepernick

32. Robert Griffin III

Good thread idea.

One caveat: Palmer actually played well at the end of the season - a 95.9 rating in the final five games (11 TDs/3 INTs) and the Cards went 3-2, with one of the losses in OT in a monsoon in Miami. I think he's got another good year in him. He was amazing in 2015.

Edited by dave mcbride

Solid list; I agree with almost all your choices.

Here we are with 4 teams left standing.

Their QBs are ranked 1, 2, 4, and 5 on your list.

Meanwhile, we debate if we should retain #21!

Note to Bills: GET A GOOD QB. KIDNAP HIM IF NECESSARY. JUST GET ONE.

I'm in the keep TT camp, but when you put it that way.............. great point you posted

It's debatable but i'd take Tyrod over all the other "game managers".

IMO he adds about 15-20% onto the rushing production over what those guys would.

Basically a yard or a bit more per carry and extra scores.

And that's before HIS OWN rushing totals/TD production.......which I assume are part of the equation already.

The system matters significantly........it puts him in position to do things that he does well.......but it matters a lot with the other game managers as well.

In my opinion he is about 15th best QB in the NFL right now and in the short term he might be more scoring impactful than some of those in the top 15 even.

And though skepticism is warranted........he may have room for improvement.

Whether he gets that much hotter at what he's cold at or not......I still don't think he's come all that close to hitting his ceiling statistically.......I think 35-40 total TD's accounted for rushing and passing....and a near the top of league scoring offense is probably his ceiling if given health and a significant weapon added opposite Sammy at WR2.

Was gonna post something similar. Great point on the rushing production alone. Agree 100 %

Would add:

If one looks at NFL as a pastime/entertainment - which in the big scheme of life it is - Taylor is also miles ahead of those other game managers on the OP list in terms of fun to watch. Watching Smith and Bradford this year was almost painful - I'd rather watch paint dry.

Say what you want about the Bills in the TT era - they weren't boring - largely because at any second you knew TT could do something spectacular.

Was gonna post something similar. Great point on the rushing production alone. Agree 100 %

Would add:

If one looks at NFL as a pastime/entertainment - which in the big scheme of life it is - Taylor is also miles ahead of those other game managers on the OP list in terms of fun to watch. Watching Smith and Bradford this year was almost painful - I'd rather watch paint dry.

Say what you want about the Bills in the TT era - they weren't boring - largely because at any second you knew TT could do something spectacular.

I think all game managers tend to be tough to watch at times because they don't make the amazing throws.

When you make a few amazing throws......like the passes Brady inevitably drops in a bucket to a well covered receiver or the sideline pass that Rodgers hit at the end of the victory over Dallas last week..........the fact that you aren't getting into the end zone as much tends to be overlooked or blamed on the supporting cast.

Honestly think some people aren't satisfied when Tyrod runs the ball into the end zone from 20 yards out. It's not the amazing throw or the well executed route/pass combo. But it's part of his game, it's 6 points and it's something only a handful of starting NFL QB's can even do.

The bottom line with Tyrod versus all the other game managers is that he leads an offense that creates a remarkable amount of BIG PLAYS.

To me.....THAT is entertaining.

And what I like most about watching TT is him throwing the deep ball. He has a gun and very good deep ball accuracy. This year we didn't even get to see much of it because Sammy was out but the Bills kept producing big plays on offense.

Elite:

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Rothlisberger

5. Matt Ryan

6. Philip Rivers

7. Russell Wilson

8. Andrew Luck

9. Matthew Stafford

10. Eli Manning

11. Joe Flacco

12. Cam Newton

Next Gen:

13. Derek Carr

14. Marcus Mariota

15. Jameis Winston

16. Dak Prescott

The Game Managers:

17. Alex Smith

18. Andy Dalton

19. Kirk Cousins

20. Ryan Tannehill

21. Tyrod Taylor

22. Sam Bradford

The Down Slope:

23. Carson Palmer

24. Jay Cutler

The Unproven:

25. Carson Wentz

26. Blake Bortles

27. Trevor Seimian

28. Brock Osweiler

29. Jared Goff

Need Replacing:

30. Ryan Fitzpatrick

31. Colin Kaepernick

32. Robert Griffin III

It's a solid list: only thing I would say is, Flacco, Eli, and Cam are living off of their name and name only. One can easily make the argument that TT had, at a minimum, an equivalent season to those 3 QB's.

Solid list though.

Also, I know Game Managers is a common term, but can we create a category for those QB's that end up being directly responsible for their teams' losses due to untimely turnovers? I can think of Cam, Bortles, Osweiler, Cutler, Eli, Rivers, etc. Maybe call that category the Game Clunkers.

It's a solid list: only thing I would say is, Flacco, Eli, and Cam are living off of their name and name only. One can easily make the argument that TT had, at a minimum, an equivalent season to those 3 QB's.

Solid list though.

Also, I know Game Managers is a common term, but can we create a category for those QB's that end up being directly responsible for their teams' losses due to untimely turnovers? I can think of Cam, Bortles, Osweiler, Cutler, Eli, Rivers, etc. Maybe call that category the Game Clunkers.

Disagree on Cam, he was named MVP of the league and played in the Super Bowl less than a year ago. He had a bit of a down year but he's at worst a franchise guy and 8 months ago would have fallen in the elite category.

Disagree on Cam, he was named MVP of the league and played in the Super Bowl less than a year ago. He had a bit of a down year but he's at worst a franchise guy and 8 months ago would have fallen in the elite category.

But that's the thing, look at his career...he's literally had one great season, and then average again this year. But of course, we can't take last season away b/c it was certainly great, but his career as a whole has been nothing great, and he did absolutely nothing this year to be ranked 12th compared to TT at 21.

Looking at the numbers, one can easily argue that no single season in Cam's entire career (aside from one season last year) is that much better statistically than anything TT has done here in two seasons.

Edited by bobobonators

But that's the thing, look at his career...he's literally had one great season, and then average again this year. But of course, we can't take last season away b/c it was certainly great, but his career as a whole has been nothing great, and he did absolutely nothing this year to be ranked 12th compared to TT at 21.

Looking at the numbers, one can easily argue that no single season in Cam's entire career (aside from one season last year) is that much better statistically than anything TT has done here in two seasons.

He has averaged 37 TDs a year in his career. That's a lot. TT isn't close to that. Cam is in a lot higher than TT.