Capaccio: Sammy Undergoes 2nd Foot Surgery

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Don't play in Week 17 and continue to have your toughness and commitment questioned, especially when you may not be clear additional surgery is needed. Play through week 17 and have your intelligence and commitment questioned because you didn't make a different decision with knowledge you didn't have a month ago.

I think that's fair. I just don't think that people would question his toughness in a meaningless game. If he didn't play in the games that still mattered that's probably true. The Jets game was virtually a preseason game. They sat the QB so he wouldn't get hurt. Logic suggests that they should have sat their banged up, star WR.

They could have (and should have) started the process the second that they were eliminated. There was no reason to wait a month. It may end up being nothing but the sooner you start the sooner he can get back on the field. If he misses some of camp or worse a week or 2 of the season it's a big mistake.

yup. his end of season physical should have been Christmas, not new years.

not the end of the world, and i am not losing sleep over it --- but it seems like the kind of attention to detail and smart decision making that the organization has lacked. maybe in the shuffle of rex and tyrod and.... sammys foot might have gotten lost a little? i really dont see a reason for him to have practiced and played the extra week though.

not the end of the world, and i am not losing sleep over it --- but it seems like the kind of attention to detail and smart decision making that the organization has lacked. maybe in the shuffle of rex and tyrod and.... sammys foot might have gotten lost a little? i really dont see a reason for him to have practiced and played the extra week though.

If that were the case, the fact that it was discussed here and not at OBD is a major problem. I'm sure that it was talked about but they agreed that he should play. I don't know if that's better or worse than overlooking it?

If he can play in 2017 it will be a plus, but I am not counting on it at all. Damaged goods.

I'll bet you $100 he plays in 2017.

Sammy probably wanted to play, and they figured it wouldn't injure him further and delaying surgery by a week wouldn't make a difference in availability next season.

Edited by Doc

If that were the case, the fact that it was discussed here and not at OBD is a major problem. I'm sure that it was talked about but they agreed that he should play. I don't know if that's better or worse than overlooking it?

I can't tell if you guys are being funny or not.

The clear reason Sammy played in the season finale was because Doug Whaley's boy EJ was playing and Doug didn't want to deprive him of any weapons when he went out there. It was EJ's time to shine and Doug was doing everything in his power to make that happen.

I can't tell if you guys are being funny or not.

The clear reason Sammy played in the season finale was because Doug Whaley's boy EJ was playing and Doug didn't want to deprive him of any weapons when he went out there. It was EJ's time to shine and Doug was doing everything in his power to make that happen.

No one besides a few people here actually believed EJ still had a future going into that game. I think that Doc's probably right. Sammy wanted to play and couldn't injure it worse so they agreed. The Bills should have stepped in and expedited the process.

The surgery was performed the first week of January, the same week the season ended, so it's not like he waited. I guess we can question the wisdom of having him play once we were eliminated, but it's not like he can just call up Dr. Anderson and say "get me in tomorrow", either.

yea, i dont know. i guess maybe not completely forgotten but the docs said he was good so the conversation just never progressed from there kind of "lost in the shuffle"

i dont understand a conversation where the decision makers sit down and discuss it and say "yea lets send him out there its better for him and the team"

The surgery was performed the first week of January, the same week the season ended, so it's not like he waited. I guess we can question the wisdom of having him play once we were eliminated, but it's not like he can just call up Dr. Anderson and say "get me in tomorrow", either.

understood. and im not trying to flame them or anything. mostly just wondering out loud about it and not finding a stellar explanation.

but i will say, they probably could have gotten him in pretty quick. especially if someone reached out on the very real likelihood that we were being eliminated that week. a lot had to go our way for the final week to matter.

yea, i dont know. i guess maybe not completely forgotten but the docs said he was good so the conversation just never progressed from there kind of "lost in the shuffle"

i dont understand a conversation where the decision makers sit down and discuss it and say "yea lets send him out there its better for him and the team"

understood. and im not trying to flame them or anything. mostly just wondering out loud about it and not finding a stellar explanation.

but i will say, they probably could have gotten him in pretty quick. especially if someone reached out on the very real likelihood that we were being eliminated that week. a lot had to go our way for the final week to matter.

This assumes Dr. Anderson was available during the holidays. I've had some bad luck making doctor appointments during the holiday season myself.

Ultimately, the decision to have surgery or not rests with Sammy Watkins. Period. His post game comments after the Jets game suggested he preferred not to have another surgery. The very next day it was announced he would have the surgery later that week. I would assume the team doctors and others sat him down and did some convincing.

Julio is a beast Sammy is a kitty cat, so since we are giving him things I suggest we include a pair of balls.

Right. Ask Shazier what it was like to get trucked by that kitty cat on national TV.

I don't think anyone felt it was EJ's "time to shine", but if one of the motivations is a final look at the 1st round draft choice before you kick him to the curb, you do want to make sure he has WRs so there are no questions that it's curb time.

This doesn't look good imo. Dez and Julio both had their surgeries performed closer together than Sammy. Dez had surgery at the beginning of a season, and again at the end. He was ready to go the next season. Julio also had his surgery separated by only a few months. Sammy is having the second surgery further after the first than those guys. The first surgery ruined this season for him. Now we are going through it again hearing that he "should be ready for training camp". It just sounds concerning. Dez and Julio only lost one season due to the two foot surgeries. If this surgery ends up like the last it could cause Sammy to lose two seasons because of the foot. That would not be good news for his career.

Same principal. They all had surgery, they all tried to play after the first one, they all needed a 2nd. Timing is due to the way the injury fell in regards to the season. Nothing more to see here. :thumbsup:

f913e410c72c89ae27c8d37c1a7cdc8c.jpg

LMAO

In fairness, Sammy is no Julio Jones.

Two completely different performance tiers.

I don't know...look at Julios first few years in the league. I live in cleveland...and I recall fans here thinking they robbed the Falcons blind based on his health and production.

With that said...julio is a stud. I get your sentiment

This is a good read in Dez Bryant's injury by a former NFL team doctor. Dez had a very similar injury, had first surgery in September 2015, came back and played in 2nd part of year, and then had a 2nd surgery in January 2016. His second surgery was same timing as Sammy in regard to the next season.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/dez-bryant-foot-fracture-and-bone-graft-top-10-things-to-know/

As far as Edelman, he didn't have his second surgery until last May so cut it very close to TC. It's anywhere from a 4-12 week recovery time but then as we saw, it takes time to get re-acclimated. Sammy will have over 7 months.

Edited by YoloinOhio