Seahawks May Lose 2nd Rounder for Hiding Sherman Injury

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid rule.

The guy played all season.

Opponents can see what's going on. If his injury was limiting him on the field, other teams would have seen it,

exactly. This is a very stupid rule. If they hid him from the report the week leading to a game and then suddenly he is out, that's different. But this is total nonsense.

That is flat out ridiculous. Teams hide injuries for good reason - other teams target such players to exacerbate injuries. The NFL needs to wake up to the real problem, which is the latter, not the former. They're more worried about gambling spreads than the health of their players and always have been.

I agree with your main point that there shouldn't be rules in are more worried about gambling spreads than the health of the players. That said, it's still a rule, the teams know it is and when you break the rules you face the consequences.

Every team is expected to follow all of the rules or risk getting punished. Debating whether the rule is stupid is irrelevant to that point.

The NFL has this rule so bettors with inside information can't gain an advantage when gambling on a game. However, since teams now have to let the world know who's injured, hiding players from the list is creating an unfair advantage for your team (avoid opponents from targeting an injured player, etc.)

If a team truly feels listing a player on the injury report would compromise the safety of the player, then perhaps he shouldn't be playing.

Edited by Fortunesmith

So a team wouldn't target the injury if they were aware of it?

Every team they played had every opportunity to injure Sherman's knees, whether they were already injured or not.

What if his injury was thrombosed hemorrhoid, and he was able to play through the pain? That should be reported too?

Stupid rule.

The guy played all season.

Opponents can see what's going on. If his injury was limiting him on the field, other teams would have seen it,

Not a stupid rule say a player sues the NFL b.c of it. People used to do it to McDonalds b.c they were dumb and drank hot coffee.

Every team is expected to follow all of the rules or risk getting punished. Debating whether the rule is stupid is irrelevant to that point.

The NFL has this rule so bettors with inside information can't gain an advantage when gambling on a game. However, since teams now have to let the world know who's injured, hiding players from the list is creating an unfair advantage for your team (avoid opponents from targeting an injured player, etc.)

If a team truly feels listing a player on the injury report would compromise the safety of the player, then perhaps he shouldn't be playing.

Should the Bills surrender a second round pick for not reporting Robert Woods' torn groin in the latter games of the 2015 season? They in fact didn't report it. Woods had surgery on it and stated after the season that it had hampered him for weeks.

More broadly, check out all of the surgeries for all of the players across the league that will occur over the next two months and then check to see if they were all on injury reports late in the season. If you think that most were on it, I suspect you'll be very surprised. I also think that you'll see that every team does this. Remember those post-season surgeries Lee Evans used to have? He wasn't on any injury reports in at least one and perhaps more of the late game-parts of those seasons.

This penalty is a freaking joke.

Edited by dave mcbride

Should the Bills surrender a second round pick for not reporting Robert Woods' torn groin in the latter games of the 2015 season? They in fact didn't report it. Woods had surgery on it and stated after the season that it had hampered him for weeks.

More broadly, check out all of the surgeries for all of the players across the league that will occur over the next two months and then check to see if they were all on injury reports late in the season. If you think that most were on it, I suspect you'll be very surprised. I also think that you'll see that every team does this. Remember those post-season surgeries Lee Evans used to have? He wasn't on any injury reports in at least one and perhaps more of the late game-parts of those seasons.

This penalty is a freaking joke.

Yes, I expect the Bills to get punished for skirting the rules, if that is the case. Again, it doesn't matter if you think the rule is bad - it was collectively bargained as such. My biggest takeaway from this ordeal is it's probably best for teams to not to publicly admit when they break the rules.

I just checked - Robert Woods was on the injury report pretty much all season in 2015, starting in week 1. He apparently tore it in training camp, according to the old articles. Albeit the Bills were reporting a hip injury, but perhaps they are not required report more than one ailment per player.

Edited by Fortunesmith

Every other team has to follow the injury reporting rules, which are negotiated by both the players and owners in the CBA. Seahawks blatantly broke the rule and publicly admitted doing so. Punishment well deserved.

So didnt Bills and every other team. But ok

Why is it so hard for Seahawks to just say Sherman, knee, probable, full participant?

Simple rule. Follow it or get punsihed.

So Bills ready to give up your pick for Taylor?

I just checked - Robert Woods was on the injury report pretty much all season in 2015, starting in week 1. He apparently tore it in training camp, according to the old articles. Albeit the Bills were reporting a hip injury, but perhaps they are not required report more than one ailment per player.

You've got to wonder why a player didn't "target" it. :rolleyes:

Like someone above said: Sherman Leg Injury Probable - Done.

So didnt Bills and every other team. But ok

So Bills ready to give up your pick for Taylor?

Taylor was on the report.