Hackett Hired as new Jaguars OC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Nate Hackett did an okay job adjusting during his tenure in Buffalo. My biggest complaint with him was that he would call pass plays in which the target was 2 yards shy of the first down marker - usually thrown to Chandler, who was not a YAC TE. But even that got better.

Don't forget, the Bills had a 9-7 record under the Marrone/Hackett regime.

I hope these guys do well in Jax, actually.

8 & 8 really the Pats game was a throw away game just like the first Pats game this past year !!

There were none of the high powered starters in the game when Marrone was coaching same as when Rex coached them this past year & seeing as once again with Brady the Pats are in the AFC championship game both of those games were throw aways !!

I know a win is a win but not sure just how much weight either of those carry !!

But i did like Hacket & think he could be good if Marrone leaves him to his job & let's him do what he thinks best for the offense !!

Edited by T master

I agree that Hackett wasn't impressive as Bills OC but in fairness to him it starts and ends with QB. He had EJ, Jeff Tuel, Tavaris Jackson and Kyle Orton to work with... with that group run, run, run wouldn't have surprised me.

And he was Marrone's puppet here. Hopefully - for his sake - he'll have more autonomy there. He's had time to mature and learn as a leader and coach.

We had a top 3 D under Schwartz (which helped us win more games than our game-management offense) and the game that put us over .500 was with NE backups.

Marrone quit on his team because he couldn't get past his ego and Hackett was one of the most uninspiring OCs in recent memory. I won't expend any energy wishing bad will on them, but if they failed, I wouldn't be upset.

I think he quit because he couldn't work with Whaley; for that I don't blame him.

And he was Marrone's puppet here. Hopefully - for his sake - he'll have more autonomy there. He's had time to mature and learn as a leader and coach.

I agree that Marrone probably held his leash pretty tightly but I its my suspicion that both them have matured and learned from what went wrong here. Going from HC to an offensive line coach can be pretty humbling.

I think he quit because he couldn't work with Whaley; for that I don't blame him.

I agree that Marrone probably held his leash pretty tightly but I its my suspicion that both them have matured and learned from what went wrong here. Going from HC to an offensive line coach can be pretty humbling.

You may be right. I don't think Marrone is as egomaniacal, socially inept, and downright evil as some make him out to be.

Watching the Bills offense in action, though, I never got the impression that he was an adept student of Sean Payton. Marrone doesn't seem like a bright Xs and Os guy. But some say Hackett is. And now with some extra years in the NFL, Hackett might be ready to attack an NFL caliber defense.

Marrone could provide the leadership and discipline while Hackett adds the tactical acumen and cheerleader energy. It might work.

You may be right. I don't think Marrone is as egomaniacal, socially inept, and downright evil as some make him out to be.

Watching the Bills offense in action, though, I never got the impression that he was an adept student of Sean Payton. Marrone doesn't seem like a bright Xs and Os guy. But some say Hackett is. And now with some extra years in the NFL, Hackett might be ready to attack an NFL caliber defense.

Marrone could provide the leadership and discipline while Hackett adds the tactical acumen and cheerleader energy. It might work.

I agree with you on both counts.

8 & 8 really the Pats game was a throw away game just like the first Pats game this past year !!

There were none of the high powered starters in the game when Marrone was coaching same as when Rex coached them this past year & seeing as once again with Brady the Pats are in the AFC championship game both of those games were throw aways !!

I know a win is a win but not sure just how much weight either of those carry !!

But i did like Hacket & think he could be good if Marrone leaves him to his job & let's him do what he thinks best for the offense !!

Not true - Brady played the first half - he was getting smacked around and he was losing when they decided to keep him out for the second half.

Not if you don't believe you did anything wrong in the first place. Marrone strikes me as that sort of guy.

Yes, it's true, some guys pull it together during their second stint as a HC but I'm not putting my money on Saint Doug to be one of those guys. He's all ego without the brainpower to back it up.

Not if you don't believe you did anything wrong in the first place. Marrone strikes me as that sort of guy.

Yes, it's true, some guys pull it together during their second stint as a HC but I'm not putting my money on Saint Doug to be one of those guys. He's all ego without the brainpower to back it up.

You might be right but i think he has the makings of a pretty good coach