The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@3rdnlng  I didn't want to copy all what was posted by quoting, so...

First, posting a defense using Breitbart is like me using MSNBC or Krugman.  The first response is always "consider the source."  That said...

As the Politifact article said, WHO adopted the German protocol on Jan 17, but the US decided to develop their own which became available Jan 28th.  Certainly our choice, but one delay.  Then, the issue you noted about the failure with its test.  Regardless, for many different reasons, testing was too slow to be implemented which led to the inability to control the outbreak by mitigation.  In fact, we still are not testing enough.  Erie county said they no longer have the ability to test. Incredible.  I'm not sure why..?

My main issue throughout has been Trump not taking it seriously enough, and seeming to be more concerned about the economy and stock market. I posted that video of him at the CDC talking about bringing the cruise ship in to SF and his comments about higher numbers being bad.  You guys responded that's just they way he talks or something to that effect.  throughout this time, many in the administration were singing the same tune, saying it was being contained (Kudlow and others).  Even Trump was saying it was under control.  It was not until the stock market took its first huge drop that he started to focus more.  He gave his address to the nation, which created more confusion than confidence.  At Sunday night's presser, he came out all giddy talking about the Fed's rate cut to zero, and saying "Wall Street would be very happy."  They weren't.  Investors aren't stupid.  They recognized the lack of focus.   Finally, after Monday's near-record breaking drop, he was slapped in the face with reality.  Starting at Monday's afternoon presser anyone not biased could see he changed his tone and focus.  As I mentioned, I really liked what I saw from him at Tuesday's presser.  Haven't seen much in the past two days because I've been a bit busy.  

I try, and have, given trump credit when it's due.  I don't know that many of you can say that you've ever criticized him for anything. As I also said from the beginning, showing leadership on this from the start would compensate for any impact on the economy.  I don't think he did, but I also think the Dem leadership has been so bad that he can overcome that poor start.  The only person who can stop him, is himself....

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Should the oil be transported by rail, truck, or magic...? You know, since pipelines are apparently evil now.

They should use empty plastic water bottles. That would be a good use of them. 

Let's see. A barrel of oil is 42 gallons. So 77 million barrels is roughly 3,234,000,000 gallons. 

Tanker ships can haul between 310,000 and 550,000 barrels of oil. 

So we're looking at about 150 + large tankers worth of oil. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Posted earlier but: 

Owned. By. China. 

Not our friends. 

So it looks like they were relying on evidence from China, not their own analysis?  Regardless, according to the various articles posted, WHO was offering the German protocol for testing on Jan 17, which we opted not to adopt. Developing our own which became available Jan 28.  Time and testing are critical to mitigation efforts.  We failed at both, which puts us where we are...  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TPS said:

So it looks like they were relying on evidence from China, not their own analysis?  Regardless, according to the various articles posted, WHO was offering the German protocol for testing on Jan 17, which we opted not to adopt. Developing our own which became available Jan 28.  Time and testing are critical to mitigation efforts.  We failed at both, which puts us where we are...  

They pushed blatantly untrue information as fact, and cost the world weeks. Add that to their faulty tests and the WHO is clearly either not a reliable institution or purposefully care more about appeasing the CCP than their actual stated mission. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, TPS said:

@3rdnlng  I didn't want to copy all what was posted by quoting, so...

First, posting a defense using Breitbart is like me using MSNBC or Krugman.  The first response is always "consider the source."  That said...

As the Politifact article said, WHO adopted the German protocol on Jan 17, but the US decided to develop their own which became available Jan 28th.  Certainly our choice, but one delay.  Then, the issue you noted about the failure with its test.  Regardless, for many different reasons, testing was too slow to be implemented which led to the inability to control the outbreak by mitigation.  In fact, we still are not testing enough.  Erie county said they no longer have the ability to test. Incredible.  I'm not sure why..?

My main issue throughout has been Trump not taking it seriously enough, and seeming to be more concerned about the economy and stock market. I posted that video of him at the CDC talking about bringing the cruise ship in to SF and his comments about higher numbers being bad.  You guys responded that's just they way he talks or something to that effect.  throughout this time, many in the administration were singing the same tune, saying it was being contained (Kudlow and others).  Even Trump was saying it was under control.  It was not until the stock market took its first huge drop that he started to focus more.  He gave his address to the nation, which created more confusion than confidence.  At Sunday night's presser, he came out all giddy talking about the Fed's rate cut to zero, and saying "Wall Street would be very happy."  They weren't.  Investors aren't stupid.  They recognized the lack of focus.   Finally, after Monday's near-record breaking drop, he was slapped in the face with reality.  Starting at Monday's afternoon presser anyone not biased could see he changed his tone and focus.  As I mentioned, I really liked what I saw from him at Tuesday's presser.  Haven't seen much in the past two days because I've been a bit busy.  

I try, and have, given trump credit when it's due.  I don't know that many of you can say that you've ever criticized him for anything. As I also said from the beginning, showing leadership on this from the start would compensate for any impact on the economy.  I don't think he did, but I also think the Dem leadership has been so bad that he can overcome that poor start.  The only person who can stop him, is himself....

jmho but...

the President should be worried about the economy and the markets. if they are going to thrust the wold economy into a global recession, that by itself could very well kill more people than a pandemic would. not saying he shouldn't be worried about them more than the CV scare, but one is possibly more impactful than the other.

as for your perception that he cares more about the markets, that may just be your perception of #orangemanbad than reality.

Edited by Foxx

45 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

They pushed blatantly untrue information as fact, and cost the world weeks. Add that to their faulty tests and the WHO is clearly either not a reliable institution or purposefully care more about appeasing the CCP than their actual stated mission. 

Agree that they accepted China's false information about the ability to transmit the disease from person to person and also that test kits in China were defective.  Were the German kits the ones the Chinese were using?  Had thought the Chinese used their own test protocols.

And also understand that the WHO did NOT offer test kits to the US.  But, haven't seen anywhere that the German kits (which were the basis of the protocol that the WHO shared to 3rd world countries) were defective.  Were those defective too?

56 minutes ago, TPS said:

Just another establishment politician. Never was impressed with him. If he was really knowledgeable he would have reinvested in the companies that manufacture Charmin, etc. and hand sanitizer/moisturizer. 

• Like (+1) 1