Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the opinion that for the most part you really cannot go wrong with going with former HC's as coordinators as long as their preferred systems match the skills of your players

Somewhere along the way.....these guys were thought highly enough of to be made head coaches

We REALLY need a OC that has had success in developing quarterbacks....because Shady is a big part of this offense having coaches that have a positive familarity with him is important as well.

Tyrod isn't exactly a quick thinking QB who can see the field and get the ball out fast.

What your talking about is him trusting timing patterns and releasing the ball before a player gets to the position. He too often as a pocket passer waited. In the West Coast he will be on the move immediately and either keeping the ball, handing it off or turning and throwing it to a set player. The calls will come from the sidelines and he will execute. In a spread he will have time in the shotgun to view his options. He will look at the defense and make a choice. He then has to watch the snap and go to that play. If he is no huddling he can adjust his snap count cause he has time till he knows where he is going. Pro game at the line requires huddle and then at the line making quick decisions, line call changes and a fast release. He is not a Pro Set QB.

@chiefsinsider

Can't see #Chiefs letting Brad Childress leave for #Bills OC gig. He's third most valuable staff member next to Reid & Ballard!

That would be a jerk move to block it. It would be a big promotion. More money, play calling duties, more power. I don't think Reid would do McDermott and Childress dirty like that

Hokie, I know you watched Taylor through college and glimpses with the Ravens. Can you elaborate a little bit on why you feel he can run a WCO?

Superficially to me, it seems antithetical to his skill set with its emphasis on precise route running and timing and short, horizontal passing routes in lieu of running plays

Sure. I suppose first and foremost, Andy Reid's west coast concepts were the very first that Tyrod was introduced to after college. He trained regularly with Mike Vick when he was getting ready for the draft, and Mike taught him a lot about the timing, the route concepts, and accepting what your gut tells you once in a while as long as you hit your timings. Tyrod is also very much a rhythm passer, and some of the short screens and run/pass rollout concepts can put him in his comfort zone early and snowball into confidence and big plays later in the game. Some of the erratic play calling and trick plays this past year really hurt in this regard. Also, as alluded to with the timing training, a lot of the plays will have quick timings, which will eliminate the overthinking that Tyrod can tend to do while everyone else is yelling 'throw the :censored: ball!'. Finally, I think a lot of people's eyes will be opened when they see what Tyrod can do when he's asked to do what Alex Smith does instead of what he was asked to do that past 2 years.

Tyrod was also coached, first by Rex, and also by Roman, and then Lynn, to not turn the ball over. Mostly by Rex who strongly believed that defense, run game, no turnovers, in that order, won football games. Well we all know Rex miscalculated a lot. But the point is, his coaches totally stressed don't throw interceptions. We can win if we don't turn it over. So a lot of Tyrod's hesitation was that he didn't force throws, he wouldn't throw guys open because they were covered and he was coached not to turn the ball over. It's another reason why he ran so quickly and so much.

If Rex and his OC's didn't stress that so much, he would have passed for a lot more yards, he would have thrown over the middle a lot more, and he would have thrown a lot more interceptions.

Sure. I suppose first and foremost, Andy Reid's west coast concepts were the very first that Tyrod was introduced to after college. He trained regularly with Mike Vick when he was getting ready for the draft, and Mike taught him a lot about the timing, the route concepts, and accepting what your gut tells you once in a while as long as you hit your timings. Tyrod is also very much a rhythm passer, and some of the short screens and run/pass rollout concepts can put him in his comfort zone early and snowball into confidence and big plays later in the game. Some of the erratic play calling and trick plays this past year really hurt in this regard. Also, as alluded to with the timing training, a lot of the plays will have quick timings, which will eliminate the overthinking that Tyrod can tend to do while everyone else is yelling 'throw the :censored: ball!'. Finally, I think a lot of people's eyes will be opened when they see what Tyrod can do when he's asked to do what Alex Smith does instead of what he was asked to do that past 2 years.

thumbs up man.....thumbs up

Tyrod was also coached, first by Rex, and also by Roman, and then Lynn, to not turn the ball over. Mostly by Rex who strongly believed that defense, run game, no turnovers, in that order, won football games. Well we all know Rex miscalculated a lot. But the point is, his coaches totally stressed don't throw interceptions. We can win if we don't turn it over. So a lot of Tyrod's hesitation was that he didn't force throws, he wouldn't throw guys open because they were covered and he was coached not to turn the ball over. It's another reason why he ran so quickly and so much.

If Rex and his OC's didn't stress that so much, he would have passed for a lot more yards, he would have thrown over the middle a lot more, and he would have thrown a lot more interceptions.

You said the same thing about EJ and I called BS then just like I am now. It's a poor excuse for both of their flaws.

Good article. College stays in the spread. NFL uses it, Kelly used the spread with 4-5 receivers in the No Huddle and gave draws to Thurman. He also linedup at the line. I think this would work with Travis if we keep him. Childress could be another Marcabrodia for the Bills. hope they get him.

The fact that Tyrod has a winning record as starting QB is why I made the statement. Your statement is to draft a QB and making them a starter right away. We have done that too with Losman and EJ. So how is your statement SMARTER than mine. Who is the QB you think we can draft 10th over all that your sure will be better someday than even Tyrod or may get to be a franchise QB? Easy to make bold statements but back yours up at least a little bit. I have the Bills past and Tyrods present play in one system to back what I say. I am sure Tyrod can be better in a West Coast or Spread offense that uses his athletism.

I never said the rookie QB has to start. And I also never advocated that we draft another EJ.

That would be a jerk move to block it. It would be a big promotion. More money, play calling duties, more power. I don't think Reid would do McDermott and Childress dirty like that

+ 1. Reid says that Childress deserves another shot at HC. Can't see him getting another shot w/o being a full time OC somewhere. I think Reid will let Childress come to Bills.

+ 1. Reid says that Childress deserves another shot at HC. Can't see him getting another shot w/o being a full time OC somewhere. I think Reid will let Childress come to Bills.

and I know it doesn't matter in terms of whether or not they can block it, but I could see Childress getting an AHC title here

You said the same thing about EJ and I called BS then just like I am now. It's a poor excuse for both of their flaws.

Marrone and Hackett never coached EJ like that, nor did they have the same philosophy. EJ was hesitant but he didn't read defense fast. So he wouldn't throw. Not at all the same thing.