NFL needs to downsize

major

Looking at what happened to the Chargers this week, I've realized what the NFL needs to do is downsize. Following teams that need to be gone: Chargers & Jags (and possibly Miami). Why did I choose these two: lack of enthusiasm from their community and little to no fan base. Forget expansion. Time to cut some waste. NFL has hit its peak, in my opinion, and is on downward trajectory. Time to adjust.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at what happened to the Chargers this week, I've realized what the NFL needs to do is downsize. Following teams that need to be gone: Chargers & Jags (and possibly Miami). Why did I choose these two: lack of enthusiasm from their community and little to no fan base. Forget expansion. Time to cut some waste. NFL has hit its peak, in my opinion, and is on downward trajectory. Time to adjust.

The Bills would probably be on any short list of teams to get downsized/relocated.

Edited by old school

I think the NFL would do everything it can to keep the team in Miami. The Jags should move. Three NFL teams in Florida seems like a bad idea, anyway. Two teams in LA is going to fail.

I agree that the NFL has peaked, but I think a team in Toronto, and maybe Mexico City (what about Vancouver?) might be good ideas.

I don't agree that the Bills would be one of the first teams relocated.

Edited by HoF Watkins

We wouldn't be downsized. Look at the support and ticket sales each year- and we haven't sniffed the playoffs in 17 years and counting. I know our ticket prices aren't like as high as rest of year but we have community support and fan base like Green Bay that will never disappear from NFL

Or this

You relocate to places that want teams. Like Toronto or Mexico City, vegas etc

We wouldn't be downsized. Look at the support and ticket sales each year- and we haven't sniffed the playoffs in 17 years and counting. I know our ticket prices aren't like as high as rest of year but we have community support and fan base like Green Bay that will never disappear from NFL Or this

Doesn't matter we are the 2nd smallest market and we are a historically bad franchise. It was a miracle that the Pegulas bought us and wanted to keep us here. It makes zero business sense to do so with Toronto right there.

Doesn't matter we are the 2nd smallest market and we are a historically bad franchise. It was a miracle that the Pegulas bought us and wanted to keep us here. It makes zero business sense to do so with Toronto right there.

You are definitely not the Mayor of Pegulaville.

Even though it would make for more competitive games or fewer meaningless games, this is probably not going to happen. Relocating some teams would help beef up revenue a bit, broadcast rights are still the cash cow, but as long as teams are worth hundred of millions of dollars downsizing is not on most peoples' minds.

i am in the minority . but i think the NFL needs markets like buffalo, obviously green bay.. if you have teams in big "glamor" markets, the novelty wears off. watching games in domes, antiseptic fan base.. it may work for a while.. but the game is built on tradition.. .. and it will implode .. people will get sick of watching a "rollerball" type league .. but that is just MHO

Edited by dwight in philly

Disagree on the Bills being a casualty of downsizing. The NFL likes Buffalo as a market and it is very strong regionally. It would look bad to take a team away from one of the most loyal fan bases in the league and one that fills the stadium every Sunday no matter how dismal the team Plays. New Orleans is a similar market. Agree that the Jags would be gonzo in a heartbeat though.

Edited by SF Bills Fan

Our win loss record has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. It makes perfect sense - Toronto sucks. The Pegulas are making money and you don't seem to know how.

Our win loss record has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. It makes perfect sense - Toronto sucks. The Pegulas are making money and you don't seem to know how.

That's either a joke or an extremely misinformed opinion. Toronto is one of the largest cities in North America and it's right down the road. The amount of money there rivals cities like NY, Chi, LA. Don't be naive, if the Pegulas wanted to make money they would move there in a second. Lucky for us they have no interest in making more money which is very rare in the business world. We just saw an owner that is already a billionaire leave San Diego just to make more money in LA. People are interested in making more money believe it or not. Even rich people

How do you propose that the 28-30 other owners that make up the rest of the league compensate the 2-4 owners of billion dollar investments that return tens of million dollars per year? Or the municipalities that have entered contracts with those owners and subsequently dumped hundreds of millions of dollars into facilities that would then be basically useless?

Edited by sodbuster

You might want to get your facts right before making these kinds of statements. I don't know about Jax but the Chargers have a strong, enthusiastic and long-time fan base. What they don't have is a willingness to underwrite a stadium for a billionaire (the vote requires 67% of the voters to pass the stadium tax).

Here are the rough numbers as I've read them: The team is worth over $2 billion. It will cost Spanos $650 million in payments to other teams to move which he could have used on a new stadium; the NFL was investing $350 million in the new stadium. That leaves a balance of $175 million which Spanos, worth nearly $3 billion, could have found in his sock drawer. He could have owned it like Kronke in LA and used it to leverage other businesses like Kronke is doing with the surrounding land. But he wanted the city to pay it. And now he'll be a tenant in Kronke-land, drawing crowds for at least ten games a year...to the surrounding businesses Kronke's developing, putting more money in someone else's pocket. Go figure.

Note: The Rams value has been upgraded to an estimated $4 billion since the move to LA. Don't know if that includes the stadium. Still, pretty rich. And maybe a reason Spanos is moving. BTW, for the North San Diego county fans, it isn't really all that far to Inglewood. Think Rochester or Ontario. Plus there will be train service right to the door.

That's either a joke or an extremely misinformed opinion. Toronto is one of the largest cities in North America and it's right down the road. The amount of money there rivals cities like NY, Chi, LA. Don't be naive, if the Pegulas wanted to make money they would move there in a second. Lucky for us they have no interest in making more money which is very rare in the business world. We just saw an owner that is already a billionaire leave San Diego just to make more money in LA. People are interested in making more money believe it or not. Even rich people

Really? Pegs stop drilling today?

Really? Pegs stop drilling today?

On the team. He said he's not interested in making money on the team. He said if he needs money he will go drill a hole. This is very uncommon. Most people like making money, even rich people. Luckily Pegula sees the team like how some people see a shiny car. It's just something fun to have

Edited by kdiggz