Official: Leslie Frazier Hired to be McDermott's DC

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who ran the D in Carolina? Rivera or McDermott? My understanding is that McDermott ran the D. Can you understand the possibility he will do the same thing Rivera did for him?

McDermott and Rivera are both Jim Johnson disciples. Again, there's no way the HC who specializes in defense is going to let someone come in a run a scheme he doesn't believe in. Not happening!

I will give you that there is a possibility that he defers to Mcdermott who is the head coach. But this guy's preference is a conservative Tampa 2 D.

We will see what happens but I find it very possible that the younger McD will let Jauron, I mean Frazier, run the D his way.

Frazier will most likely call plays but the defense will not be "run" his way.

McDermott and Rivera are both Jim Johnson disciples. Again, there's no way the HC who specializes in defense is going to let someone come in a run a scheme he doesn't believe in. Not happening!

Exactly.

Take a deep breath, homey.

It's hardly mid-January.

Hey, I want to drink the Koolaid. But Leslie Frazier is a huge red flag for me. I hope you are right and he is just there to provide support and structure for an attacking D. But I also fear McDermott leaning on Dick Jauron 2.0 for advice on punting and playing not to lose.

Oh.

Looks like "Tampa 2" is the early 2017 shorthand for "I don't know **** about defense but I'm guessing this is bad so I'm going to complain about it before anything actually happens."

See: "Wide Nine, 2014."

Also, last time we ran what folks here have decided they hate in the "Tampa 2" we fielded a middling defense run by the likes of John DiGorgion and Angelo Crowell.

Anyways, back to the unwarranted bitching/hand wringing.

The Wide Nine sucked and was basically Brandon Spikes and DaNorris Searcy balling.

Hey, I want to drink the Koolaid. But Leslie Frazier is a huge red flag for me. I hope you are right and he is just there to provide support and structure for an attacking D. But I also fear McDermott leaning on Dick Jauron 2.0 for advice on punting and playing not to lose.

If only an exceptionally broad middle existed somewhere between the chasm separating "drinking the koolaid" and you...

And "hope I'm right"..? Right about what? Nobody knows what's going to happen, we haven't been told what's going to happen, and we're light years from SEEING what will happen. I don't have an opinion yet. That's the point here. Step off the ledge.

Edited by The Big Cat

Yeah, folks forget that Lynn was just running a scaled back version of Romans offense, not his own. Would be nice to get a proven OC though.

Without a QB. Just let that sink in. Tyrod seems done in Buffalo. Whaley botched the contract on that one and there is no reason to pay Tyrod that much. RIvers won't come if he is let go; he will head straight to Denver with McCoy. So the Bills could pick up Fitzpatrick.

Without a QB. Just let that sink in. Tyrod seems done in Buffalo. Whaley botched the contract on that one and there is no reason to pay Tyrod that much. RIvers won't come if he is let go; he will head straight to Denver with McCoy. So the Bills could pick up Fitzpatrick.

You crack me up man. :lol:

Huge hire

Yes, I like it. Never hurts to have an ex-head coach to help a new head coach. I don't recall whether Gregg W., Mularkey or Marrone did this when they were hired. Marrone added Schwartz after Pettine left for Cleveland.

I remember when Leslie was supposed to be the next great HC.

Heard it here on TSW.

Tears of regret were promised.

I like hiring Frazier better than elevating a Panthers or Texans assistant but I would have preferred a proven-adaptable DC like Wade.

So Tyrod is done, but Whaley botched his contract so he's not done? :blink: