Sean McDermott's Introductory Presser on 1/13/17 at 2 PM ET

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Though he handled it very well. I like the quiet intensity where you can just picture him 'unloading' some of it on deserving players. When he says culture starts with me I believe it.

A minor point, but I also like that he recognized and gave the fan base a shout out without the forced "I'm basically a Buffalonian" narrative straight from the PR machine that Rex and Marrone tried to push so hard. i think he feels just him being his genuine self will be what is relatable.

Choice for college came down to William & Mary and West Point.

Went with gut to go to go to W&M.

John Murphy: "Most people don't turn down appointments to a service academy!"

"That was the environment I grew up in. Discipline. Doing things the right way. Core values."

I would say he's a poor speaker.

And that is directly related to intelligence.

But back to the new coach hiring.

You don't have any idea what kind of speaker he is in private, so you can't possibly comment on anything other than his public speaking ability, which I agree is below average.

Attempting to link that to intelligence is absurd.

I made the mistake of watching the press conference on wivb.com. It was unbelievably bad. Horrendous. They would cut away from the press conference to show highlights of some of the stuff they were talking about, with the audio continuing from what McDermott or Doug or Terry were saying BUT would have the audio playing from the highlights, too. So I would hear the cheers of the crowd from the stadium in addition to the press conference, which made it hard to hear at times. Incredibly poor decision and technical problem. Unbelievably amateurish.

Ha i was thinking the same thing. Talk about amateur overproduction. You have one job - put a camera on a tripod and point it at the guy everyone wants to see and hear

Does it concern anyone else how poor of a public speaker Terry Pegula is.

Whether it's an appearance on WGR radio or opening a press conference today, I've found him to be pretty brutal.

A part of me believes that ones ability to communicate gives you a little insight on ones intelligence and ability to asses other people, and I just wonder if Pegulas total ineptitude when it comes to public communication means anything.

it means nothing. i imagine he has a extremely high IQ to build what he built. i work with lot's of business owners, and some of them just don't feel comfortable in a room or having an audience larger than 5 people. public speaking and intelligence have no correlation. i have met some great public speakers that are nothing more than mouth pieces with little depth or substance.

Whaley has been around TT and seen what he can do on the field and behind closed doors, if he is the GM of this team he should be making the decision on TT not the new coach. He should have a much better handle on TT's capabilities than a new coach just watching game tape.

Which fits with the team waiting to hire an OC and determining what kind of offense they're going to install. TT's clearly not the worst QB in the league, and he's clearly not the best. He didn't blow the team away and make them adamant that his option needed to be picked up, but his play also didn't warrant kicking him to the curb outright. His contract, if they pick it up, puts him in the mid-range salary for a starter. A reasonable commitment even if the plan is to look for a long term answer to replace him in two years. There's no clearly better long term answer in free agency, and barring an unexpected trade, he's probably the best available QB we could hope for over the next few years. It's also not outside the realm of possibility that with a good QB coach he'll improve. Given a decision doesn't need to be made until March, what are you expecting?

Yeah Bill Belichick is a way more awkward speaker. McDermott speaks in coach cliches but you can tell he quickly processes what's in front of him.

I do like how he mentioned indirectly that he understands the fans because he grew up an Eagle fan. They boo Santa Claus so he knows what will happen if he messes up.

Edited by jeffismagic

This guy is very easy to read.

Disciplined, probably slightly obsessive-compulsive. Detail oriented. Routine oriented. Focused. Has an idea on how to do everything and doesn't deviate from that. Hard worker. Probably a bit stubborn and inclined to do things his way only. Intense, much more than the average person.

People with these skills often end up doing things like flying fighter planes, becoming astronauts, Olympic champions, successful entrepreneurs, etc.

He seems to have a lot of good qualities for success in general. We'll see if it translates to head coaching in the NFL.

He definitely does not have that stench of detritus on him like most Bills coaching hires in the last 15 years or so.

Anxious to see how he gets along with Dareus. I see Dareus losing that battle.

This guy is very easy to read.

Disciplined, probably slightly obsessive-compulsive. Detail oriented. Routine oriented. Focused. Has an idea on how to do everything and doesn't deviate from that. Hard worker. Probably a bit stubborn and inclined to do things his way only. Intense, much more than the average person.

People with these skills often end up doing things like flying fighter planes, becoming astronauts, Olympic champions, successful entrepreneurs, etc.

He seems to have a lot of good qualities for success in general. We'll see if it translates to head coaching in the NFL.

He definitely does not have that stench of detritus on him like most Bills coaching hires in the last 15 years or so.

Anxious to see how he gets along with Dareus. I see Dareus losing that battle.

I'm ok with that. If there is a battle between McD and Dareus re: discipline, Dareus needs to lose. I'm not saying McD needs to pick a fight, but if that's what it comes to, I'm confident McD will not bend.

Edited by dulles

You don't have any idea what kind of speaker he is in private, so you can't possibly comment on anything other than his public speaking ability, which I agree is below average.

Attempting to link that to intelligence is absurd.

I've heard him speak in a wide variety of contexts which would not be described as traditional "public speaking" type scenarios, even if the speaking was public.

I'm talking about a sustained, casual, 20 minute chat with Schopp and the Bulldog (on air admittedly) in an abandoned HSBC Arena or whatever they are calling it now. That's not what is meant by "public speaking."

An ability to orally express yourself is related to your ability to think, as is ability to write. I have never known a bright person who couldn't express himself/herself clearly in words rather verbal or written.