IF Whaley Drafts a QB:Kizer vs Watson vs Trubisky vs Mahomes

Draft time is coming. With or without Tyrod Taylor we need to draft a QB for the future. Doug Whaley with his job on the line goes "all in" and trades up from #10 to #2. If you were in the Bills war room who are you pushing we draft and why?

Per WalterFootball.com

DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
Height: 6-4. Weight: 230.
Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
Projected Round (2017): 1.

1/9/17: In this analyst's opinion, Kizer is the top quarterback prospect for the 2017 NFL Draft. He has a better physical skill set than either Mitch Trubisky or Deshaun Watson. Some league sources have told me they think Kizer will be a high first-rounder, though others are not enthusiastic about Kizer. Still, he's expected to go early in Round 1 and has announced he will enter the 2017 NFL Draft. One playoff general manager told me Kizer has the tools to be the prototypical quarterback prospect but never seems to put everything together and doesn't win.

Kizer is capable of making beautiful touch passes with superb accuracy and ball placement while being under fire from the pass rush. His field vision is very good as he moves his eyes through his progressions, even with defenders bearing down on him. Additionally, Kizer has the arm strength to make all the throws and beat good coverage. He consistently shows the ability to drop in accurate touch passes downfield and the mobility to make plays with his feet. Kizer is an excellent pocket passer.

Mitch Trubisky*, QB, North Carolina
Height: 6-3. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.77.
Projected Round (2017): 1-2.

1/9/17: Trubisky has more of a second-round-caliber skill set, but that doesn't preclude teams from reaching on him in the first round. Teams have had second-day grades on many quarterbacks who ended up going as top-32 picks. Sources from three different teams told me they graded Trubisky in Round 2, but he received a first-round estimation from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.

The consensus belief around the league is that Trubisky will enter the 2017 NFL Draft. One playoff general manager told WalterFootball.com that he rates Trubisky higher than DeShone Kizer because Trubisky has the tools to play with accuracy and athleticism, and he wins games while Kizer's team was sub .500.

Deshaun Watson*, QB, Clemson
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2017): 1-4.

1/9/17: I surveyed teams around the league to see where their initial draft grades were for Watson. Two playoff teams told me they had third-round grades on Watson. One said it was on the low end as a third- to fourth-rounder. Another playoff team told Walt that they had a third-round grade on Watson. Two other teams said they had second-round grades on Watson. Another team thought that Watson still could be a late first-round quarterback, similar to Teddy Bridgewater, because of the dire need at the position across the NFL.

In this draft analyst's opinion, I would grade Watson as a third-round pick for the 2017 NFL Draft. Watson has been off with his accuracy this year, displaying poor ball placement, especially when going downfield. He has missed a lot of potential touchdowns as a result. Watson's performance against Louisville confirmed the accuracy and ball-placement problems we've seen all season. He hasn't dominated, and his play is not that of a top quarterback prospect. All of this illustrates that Watson still has room for improvement with his field vision, ball placement, and accuracy. He did finish the regular season playing better, but that doesn't make up for the struggles in the first two-thirds of the season.

Pat Mahomes*, QB, Texas Tech
Height: 6-3. Weight: 219.
Projected 40 Time: 4.68.
Projected Round (2017): 1-3.

1/9/17: WalterFootball.com was the first to report that Mahomes was planning on entering the 2017 NFL Draft, and he announced that in early January. Mahomes is seeking out experienced NFL quarterback coaches to help him develop for his rookie season. Mahomes completed 66 percent of his passes in 2016 for 5,052 yards with 41 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He also rushed for 12 touchdowns.

Some team sources are intrigued by Mahomes, but others are skeptics. Mahomes has a good arm and has flashed the ability to be a pocket passer. He also has athleticism with enough mobility to buy time and pick up some yards on the ground. Mahomes is a sleeper who could be a steal.

One playoff team told me they have a second-round grade on Mahomes and compare him to Derek Carr coming out of Fresno State. Two other teams said they had Mahomes in the third round, while one playoff general manager said he had him in Round 4. There is love/hate with Mahomes in part because of his college offense, but Mahomes is an accurate passer with a good arm, bulk, flashes of field vision, and mobility.

GO!

BILLS!

- Marty McFly

Edited by Marty McFly

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.

The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Thanks for this. Very different from what I've seen. I've read that Trubisky is the clear cut favorite.

I feel like I never really hear Kizer's name this year.

It sucks having so many question marks at such a major position. There's no "answer"

Thanks for this. Very different from what I've seen. I've read that Trubisky is the clear cut favorite.

It sucks having so many question marks at such a major position. There's no immediate "answer"

FTFY, imo.

If I am trading up to 2. I am taking.....

Trubinksy or Watson (whichever is left).

I like Mahomes at 10 as well

You are taking Watson at #2?!?

The TT hate makes so much more sense now

FTFY, imo.

Fair enough. And the draft is always a crap shoot. But I feel like the qb's the past few years have been completely hit or miss.

It sucks having so many question marks at such a major position. There's no "answer"

Well Some have Watson higher. but I would not trust Waltersfootball in their grading

You are taking Watson at #2?!?

The TT hate makes so much more sense now

Fair enough. And the draft is always a crap shoot. But I feel like the qb's the past few years have been completely hit or miss.

In the context of this thread. Yes. I would take the 2nd best QB at two.

Trubinksy is gone No1.

the reality is I would rather stay at 10 and take Mahomes. But the thread forced me to trade up to two.

If we trade to #2 I would take Myles Garrett, assuming Cle went QB and didn't take him. Cleveland has to take a QB high in this draft, but it doesn't mean it has to be 1st overall. If I was Cleveland, I would absolutely without question go Garrett and grab a QB with their next pick. There is no other player to me in this draft though I would say is worth trading up for than Garrett.

No QB in this draft is worthy of us trading a bounty to get the #2 pick regardless if all of them are still available. Honestly I think its possible only 1 QB goes in the top 10, and probably not more than 2. Meaning we can most likely get Watson, and probably get Mahomes at 10 without having to trade up. If the draft was today, the first QB off the board is likely Kizer. All the other prospects are capable of falling to 10, and I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of them were still on the board when we picked in the 2nd like the year with Geno and EJ. This is not a great year to need a QB in the draft and with success of guys like Wilson and Dak, teams I don't think will feel they must reach anymore to take a QB.

Edited by Alphadawg7

With Cleveland, San Fran, and Chicago going 1-3, I think 2 qb's will go in the top 10. I think that could cause other qb's to accelerate up the board due to lack of options.

I could see Cleveland trade back for people trying to get Jack. If he doesn't go first, I expect to see some trades up.

There isn't a QB in this draft that excites me. If either of the top 2 drop to 10, I'd say you have to take one. Not Watson though

I'm not sure why anyone would consider trading up in this draft for a QB. There isn't one of them that should even be top-10 on most draft boards and certainly no clear cut "can't miss" prospect. Trubisky, Watson and Kiser (in that order) are clearly the top QB's out there. Not good enough to move up for though.

Garrett or Jonathan Allen

I don't see any of the QBs worth trading up to get. At least one will likely go before 10 (I hope) and Watson is likely my favorite of the group but I would be apocalyptic if Whaley made this move.

Also, do we have to use the "R word"? I get that's a saying, but we can use a better word choice.

Garrett or Jonathan Allen

I don't see any of the QBs worth trading up to get. At least one will likely go before 10 (I hope) and Watson is likely my favorite of the group but I would be apocalyptic if Whaley made this move.

Also, do we have to use the "R word"? I get that's a saying, but we can use a better word choice.

Quick personal anecdote:

I worked for a local ARC which works with developmentally disabled adults. "The R Word" was worse than the f word or any other curse. I still cringe when I see it expecting people to come out of the woodwork to shout someone down.

Honestly, I was more offended by him quoting Walter Football.

:lol: I used to love Walter Football. Then I realized he has no idea what he is talking about. He is no better than a poster here. I cringe all the time when people parrot them. On top of it all he hates the Bills and every move they make.

With Cleveland, San Fran, and Chicago going 1-3, I think 2 qb's will go in the top 10. I think that could cause other qb's to accelerate up the board due to lack of options.

I could see Cleveland trade back for people trying to get Jack. If he doesn't go first, I expect to see some trades up.

There isn't a QB in this draft that excites me. If either of the top 2 drop to 10, I'd say you have to take one. Not Watson though

I get why you would say that, but I actually disagree that teams will be compelled to go QB just to go QB. I think the recent successes of QB's taken outside the top half of the first, or outside the first round in general combined with all the QB's that keep failing that were taken high just because of physical gifts rather than on field performance will make teams hesitant to reach for a QB in what is an overall weak QB draft class. Much like the 2013 draft where a QB wasn't taken until we took EJ despite guys like Geno and Bridgewater projected early in the first.

Cleveland, SF, and Chicago have lots of holes as they have bad rosters. I would think taking a better prospect at another position of need would be tempting and going QB with on of their next picks rather than reaching for a QB they aren't enamored with.

But who knows what teams are thinking on draft day...just because this draft class isnt considered great for QB's doesn't mean they wont be enamored with one once the combine, interviews, etc happen. I personally would go for the best player in their shoes versus reaching for a QB as things sit today.

I used to love Walter Football. Then I realized he has no idea what he is talking about. He is no better than a poster here. I cringe all the time when people parrot them. On top of it all he hates the Bills and every move they make.

Tony Pauline teaming up with Walter was the weirdest thing ever. I love Tony, he's as well connected as they come, chose to waste his talents on that toilet paper for a while.

I'm not exactly in a position to shout people down because I'm not far off Walter myself. There's just a host of places I'd take my readership to before Walter.