All Pro squads are out - PFF and AP

I far prefer PFF's squad to the AP's, but at the end of the day there's not a huge amount of difference. The Bills allegedly talent-laden squad scored not one first- or second-team placement in PFF's system, although Lorax and -- bizarrely -- Zach Brown both made the second team at LB for the AP squad. (I say bizarrely because Brown played poorly down the stretch.)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2016-pff-all-pro-team/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000770458/article/three-rookies-matt-ryan-among-players-named-to-allpro-team

I'll say this about Belichick: he's looking very smart about Marcus Cannon right now (surprise surprise). Cannon was a liability last season, and I thought he was a problem they had to solve. He was great this year, especially in the run game.

Edited by dave mcbride

I far prefer PFF's squad to the AP's, but at the end of the day there's not a huge amount of difference. The Bills allegedly talent-laden squad scored not one first- or second-team placement in PFF's system, although Lorax and -- bizarrely -- Zach Brown both made the second team at LB for the AP squad. (I say bizarrely because Brown played poorly down the stretch.)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000770458/article/three-rookies-matt-ryan-among-players-named-to-allpro-team

I'll say this about Belichick: he's looking very smart about Marcus Cannon right now (surprise surprise). Cannon was a liability last season, and I thought he was a problem they had to solve. He was great this year, especially in the run game.

I swear Bellicheat* is the best talent evaluator in the league...

Our talent is severely overrated...

I love BB but Cannon improvement is do to the greatest acquisition the Pats made in the off season. The return of Scar as OLine coach! That man works miracles with almost anyone on the line! The Pats OLine under him was always top notch.

They were solid pickups at a reduced rate. At the same time, Alexander is entering his 12th season and not someone to build around and Brown is probably going to win big in UFA. The roster on the whole isn't "close" as the GM would have some believe.

I swear Bellicheat* is the best talent evaluator in the league...

Our talent is severely overrated...

So Rex did a good job getting us to 7 wins in 15 games???

I love BB but Cannon improvement is do to the greatest acquisition the Pats made in the off season. The return of Scar as OLine coach! That man works miracles with almost anyone on the line! The Pats OLine under him was always top notch.

As someone said, Bellichick is a great talent evaluator. He finds good players and he finds good coaches.

PFF 2nd Team RB: Jay Ajayi

PFF 3rd Team RB: Le'Veon Bell

Seems like our defense kept Shady off of the PFF All-Pro team too.

Interesting observation. Probably some truth there.

If Dante doesn't end up in the Hall of Fame, it'll be a travesty. Bill will still be coaxing him out of retirement when he's 92 :)

If Dante doesn't end up in the Hall of Fame, it'll be a travesty. Bill will still be coaxing him out of retirement when he's 92 :)

I agree! He is the unsung third member of the Pats Championship tree. They won nothing without him. (And almost got Brady killed behind that line last year in Denver.)

Not counting special teamers, and not counting David Johnson twice*, a total of 57 players made it on the AP list and 48 on the PFF list. That's a little under 2 per team on the AP side and only 1.5 per team on the PFF side. I don't think it's necessarily fair to draw conclusions about the overall talent level based on not getting enough players into such small pools. Especially since the voting (more so on the AP side) is heavily biased by the team's record. (And, looking at the overall results, it seems biased by media market/exposure as well - the Giants had the most AP All-Pros!)

The Bills were one of 8 teams to get no players on the PFF All-Pro team, which isn't great. But that set of 8 also includes (weak) playoff teams the Texans and Lions. (The Lions didn't get any All-Pros on either list.) Fifteen teams didn't have any first-teamers on either list - including the Dolphins, Packers, and Saints. The Saints defense stinks but I defy anyone to rationally say they don't have talent on offense. And yet, their only All-Pro was Cam Jordan on the PFF second-team.

So yeah, despite these results, I continue to believe that this team has talent. Probably not better than 10-6 or maybe 11-5 talent with good coaching, but talent nonetheless. I don't feel like the team was well-coached overall. Probably about a B or C on offense (F through the first 2 games), and a D on defense. That got us a 7-9 record, with a chance to win in almost all of the losses. We outscored our opponents by 21 on the year - 13th best in the league. Upgrade to A or B coaching overall, and I think we're a playoff team.

*For some reason, the AP has David Johnson as 1st team "flex" and 2nd team RB. I call BS on that. Once a guy makes it at flex, shouldn't he be off the board for the positions that feed into flex?