Gilmore: The Shadow Knows

I was reliably informed that Stephon Gilmore is crap. How can these stats be? Erik must be lying :)

On a serious note, let me his rattle off his full stats (courtesy of PFF). Also, a comparison to 2015.

2015 (12 games) - 92 targets, 50 receptions (54.3% completion rate), 666 yards (13.3 YPC), 190 YAC, 5 TDs allowed, 3 INT, 6 PD.

2016 (15 games) - 69 targets (nice!), 40 receptions (58% completion rate), 627 yards (15.7 YPC), 188 YAC, 2 TDs allowed, 5 INT, 7 PD.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reliably informed that Stephon Gilmore is crap. How can these stats be? Erik must be lying :)

On a serious note, let me his rattle off his full stats (courtesy of PFF). Also, a comparison to 2015.

2015 (12 games) - 92 targets, 50 receptions (54.3% completion rate), 666 yards (13.3 YPC), 190 YAC, 5 TDs allowed, 3 INT, 6 PD.

2016 (15 games) - 69 targets (nice!), 40 receptions (58% completion rate), 627 yards (15.7 YPC), 188 YAC, 2 TDs allowed, 5 INT, 7 PD.

Just FYI, that's a passer rating allowed of 67.7

http://www.csgnetwork.com/quarterbackratecalc.html

No surprise coming from a guy named Koolaid.

Let our best corner and a top corner in the league walk. Yes he will be expensive but worth it, IMO. Is it your money?

Honestly, I don't disagree with Koolaid's sentiment. This corner class looks stacked and we're probably looking at a $4m average annual salary with the 10th pick. Striking a deal with Gilmore, that figure might be closer to $14m. There's some merit in letting Gilmore walk, especially considering the potential for a 3rd round comp pick in 2018 if we play the FA game smartly.

I would say the sample size is to small to draw a fair conclusion one way or the other on Gilmore.

It does beg the question why they only did it twice though.

It's something Rex Ryan seemed reluctant to do, but apparently Gilmore was able to talk him into it late in the season. They should have been allowing him to shadow the opposing team's best earlier, but I suspect they weren't anticipating such a dramatic falloff from Darby.

I do admit that Stephon seemed to turn it on in the 2nd half of the year, but we have money tied up in places that may not allow us to pay him(I think he walks in FA as stated in a previous thread). But all things considered I am starting to think that Darby may be better served being slid into the FS spot ala Malcolm Jenkins. Just as a scenario let's throw out there that Tyrod is not kept, which is fully what I believe is going to happen. We then slide Darby to the FS position and have Graham @ SS. The money that could have gone to Tyrod then be used to strike a deal with Gilmore. Not Josh Norman money, but say $13 mill per. We go out and grab the best CB on the board @ #10 which is likely going to be Marlon Humphrey from Alabama, The Secondary gets a revamp and could immediately be a strength if the top 10 pick performs like one.

Some of the lack of aggressiveness could have been the scheme to cover up our serious shortcomings at the Safety position. If we get better safeties, Gilmore and Darby will be more free to isolate their top-2 receivers and shut them down. Also, the tackling could be symptomatic of the Ryan coaching style. More than just Gilmore forgot how to tackle.

We do NOT want to create another hole. He is not Revis-in-his-prime but he is still pretty good. I hope we can keep him at a reasonable contract.

You didn't read the tweet or get it obviously. Carry on.

If you say so...

it took me a while but it's cute way of disagreeing without actually saying anything due to his inability for original thought.

ftfy means fixed that for you, where he decides what you said should be edited to fit his narrative, specifically it lacks substance, original thought or anything that isn't ctrl v.

don't mind him, crusades are hard.

silly man, it wasn't on twitter - how would he know!?

According to Pro Football Focus, Gilmore allowed seven receptions to three different wide receivers on eight targets, surrendering 129 yards, with 35 yards-after-catch.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/16/buffalo-bills-stephon-gilmore-2016/

Exactly!

I remembered he had a horrific game that day. So, Gilmore is trying to pat himself on the back just for the last two games, but he's been inconsistent overall. That game vs Ryan Fitzpatrick (who's a very inconsistent player himself) torched Gilmore all game long. Gilmore wants to be paid like an elite CB, but he's average at best.

If you say so...

Exactly!

I remembered he had a horrific game that day. So, Gilmore is trying to pat himself on the back just for the last two games, but he's been inconsistent overall. That game vs Ryan Fitzpatrick (who's a very inconsistent player himself) torched Gilmore all game long. Gilmore wants to be paid like an elite CB, but he's average at best.

You attribute a tweet from cover 1 as Gilmore patting himself on the back?

Yea he is good and all that but his lack of tackling ability sure makes it tough to appreciate his other skills.

+1

Many of times, he would just try the Donte Whitner style tackle (just drive his shoulder him the player, in hopes that would knock him down), instead of using his arms to wrap up the player.

If you say so...

Exactly!

More like you are trying to use one (or two actually ) bad game to marginalize an entire season of great play.

Anyone that looks at his numbers and calls him average is loony.

2 TDs allowed all season and a 67 passer rating allowed.

Average? :lol:

+1

Many of times, he would just try the Donte Whitner style tackle (just drive his shoulder him the player, in hopes that would knock him down), instead of using his arms to wrap up the player.

Who had more tackles this year: Gilmore or Richard Sherman?

Who had more INTs?

Who had a lower passer rating allowed?

Who allowed more TDs?

I eagerly await your response.

100 percent corect. Also, vs the Jets, some of those plays saw him in near perfect position only to lose a jump ball on a perfect throw.

"You cant defend the perfect pass." The truest football statement ever, IMO.

More like you are trying to use one (or two actually ) bad game to marginalize an entire season of great play.

Who had more INTs?

Who allowed more TDs?

You mad bro? LOL, damn those pesky facts...

Who had more INTs?

Who allowed more TDs?

Who's Faster than a speeding bullet?

Who's more powerful than a locomotive?

Who's able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?

Who's Faster than a speeding bullet?

Who's more powerful than a locomotive?

Who's able to leap tall buildings in a single bound?

I am not going to lie: that's the biggest cop out that I've ever seen in a debate...anywhere...on any subject.

Thanks for admitting that you have no salient point here whatsoever

"You cant defend the perfect pass." The truest football statement ever, IMO.

You mad bro? LOL, damn those pesky facts...

Hey, every now and then you have to let a dude know :lol:

I am not going to lie: that's the biggest cop out that I've ever seen in a debate...anywhere...on any subject.

Thanks for admitting that you have no salient point here whatsoever

You don't get the joke, so I'll fill you in. The way you're carrying on about Gilmore is the answer to the question [superman], which he is far from it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-25-nfl-cornerbacks-this-season/

Look who didn't make the list? Superman...excuse me, Gilmore!

You don't get the joke, so I'll fill you in. The way you're carrying on about Gilmore is the answer to the question [superman], which he is far from it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-25-nfl-cornerbacks-this-season/

Look who didn't make the list? Superman...excuse me, Gilmore!

No, I got the joke--it was lame as a joke, but even lamer as a response

Thanks for the rankings from 6 weeks ago--great stuff :lol:

PFF's grades often don't match up with their own advanced stats.

They themselves have Gilmore at 2 TDs allowed and a 67 passer rating against.

Yet somehow that doesn't compare to Sean Smith, who routinely gets abused in coverage.

Ever remember Gilmore allowing a 98-yard TD? Yeah, me neither.

Find me another corner with those numbers...believe it or not, it'll bolster your stance better than a lame joke.