1-5: Tyrod Taylor is Having Surgery Today

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you ever even consider that defense has any effect on the game?

Of course. It's not rocket science.

30th ranked passing is still 30th ranked passing. A "terrible defense" should inflate his passing numbers but he can't pass.

I'm done with this subject. We can resume with the excuses when we cut him or retain him and mess up another season with the gimmick at qb.

Have at it CoT'ers. Let those excuses fly.

30th ranked passing is still 30th ranked passing. A "terrible defense" should inflate his passing numbers but he can't pass.

I'm done with this subject. We can resume with the excuses when we cut him or retain him and mess up another season with the gimmick at qb.

you are the cult of defense doesn't matter. just for you i'm sure you'll love this stat....the 2 years seattle went to the superbowl their passing offense was 26th and 27th! oh boy eat that stat! burn

I don't think anyone is saying we can't get better at QB, just that until we have a better option, Tyrod should be on this team.

I know I know. We scored 25 vs the pats !

Which was more than Seattle the very next week.

30th ranked passing game. Bold strategy Cotton.

Houston made it with the 29th ranked passing game, Miami made it with the 26th, Dallas with the 23rd.

Buffalo had more yards on the year than KC, Detroit, Miami, NYG, and Houston.

Buffalo scored more points than 11 of the 16 playoff teams.

Buffalo's Defense on the other hand only finished better in yards that playoff teams Miami, Oakland, KC, and Houston.

Buffalo's Defense gave up less points than 4 of the 16 playoff teams.

Just some MORE food for thought.

I don't think anyone is saying we can't get better at QB, just that until we have a better option, Tyrod should be on this team.

The issue for me is timing. We can't sign or trade someone until the league year begins. So that window is extremely tight to make a move and move on from Tyrod. If day 3 comes and we don't have anyone we're at a bit of a crossroads. Do we cut him full well knowing we don't have another starter on the roster?

The draft isn't until May - so if the plan is to cut Tyrod and draft someone, we may be forced to move up since everyone will know we're going QB. At the very least, a team may look to jump us in the 2nd if we don't go QB in round 1.

The issue for me is timing. We can't sign or trade someone until the league year begins. So that window is extremely tight to make a move and move on from Tyrod. If day 3 comes and we don't have anyone we're at a bit of a crossroads. Do we cut him full well knowing we don't have another starter on the roster?

The draft isn't until May - so if the plan is to cut Tyrod and draft someone, we may be forced to move up since everyone will know we're going QB. At the very least, a team may look to jump us in the 2nd if we don't go QB in round 1.

Don't forget that Taylor's cap hit is around $15MM. It's not much for a QB. Anyone we bring in trade will be a lot more. Only a rookie is cheaper.

But who are we going to trade for / sign who is a better option than Tyrod?

I guess my question is...

Team A: Scores 24 points, 1 turnover

Team B: Scores 24 points, 1 turnover

Does it make a difference if Team A scored 14 points on rushing, and fumbled the ball, whereas Team B scored 0 points on rushing, and threw one interception? Aren't points points? I'm not suggesting Tyrod is the best QB in the world, but if the team moves the ball with him as QB, I don't really care if it's him making throws, or the team running well (partially due to him) that gets us there. I'd love to have some HoF gun slinger back there, but chances are slim a draft pick this year is going to be that, so why not keep a successful offense in tact, develop a young QB or two, and focus on improving a disappointing defense?

Am I insane for wanting to make the playoffs vs tanking every year until we luck out on getting an elite QB in the draft?

It makes a difference if one of those teams can sustain drives and flip the field before punting. Every drive doesn't have to result in points but just putting up the average points per game and saying they are both equal doesn't tell the entire story. It definitely helps the team when the offense doesn't just go 3 and out, both in terms of field position and time of possession.

What's better for the team, the offense picks up some first downs, punts from mid field and the opposing team gets the ball inside the 15 or the offense goes 3 and out, punts from the 25 and the opposing team gets the ball at their own 40?

The Bills O was pretty much feast or famine. The Bills offense was the 10th worst team in the league in terms of 3 and outs. They were down there with the likes of the Browns, Rams, Niners, Giants, Broncos, Jags and Dolphins. They were in the top 10 in TDs/Drive ratio and also in red zone scoring and Pts per drive. But they were in the bottom 10 in 3 and outs and punts per drive ratio. Basically, if the Bills O started moving the ball on a drive it had a good chance of ending in a TD. Otherwise, they barely moved it. That results in points, but not really in an efficient, effective offense.

Time of possession is a team stat but its very telling that the team that led the league in rushing didn't have a positive ToP number. Sure, much of that is on the D, but much of it is on the O and their inability to stay on the field. Not saying it's all Taylor's fault, but he shoulders some of that blame.

It makes a difference if one of those teams can sustain drives and flip the field before punting. Every drive doesn't have to result in points but just putting up the average points per game and saying they are both equal doesn't tell the entire story. It definitely helps the team when the offense doesn't just go 3 and out, both in terms of field position and time of possession.

What's better for the team, the offense picks up some first downs, punts from mid field and the opposing team gets the ball inside the 15 or the offense goes 3 and out, punts from the 25 and the opposing team gets the ball at their own 40?

The Bills O was pretty much feast or famine. The Bills offense was the 10th worst team in the league in terms of 3 and outs. They were down there with the likes of the Browns, Rams, Niners, Giants, Broncos, Jags and Dolphins. They were in the top 10 in TDs/Drive ratio and also in red zone scoring and Pts per drive. But they were in the bottom 10 in 3 and outs and punts per drive ratio. Basically, if the Bills O started moving the ball on a drive it had a good chance of ending in a TD. Otherwise, they barely moved it. That results in points, but not really in an efficient, effective offense.

Time of possession is a team stat but its very telling that the team that led the league in rushing didn't have a positive ToP number. Sure, much of that is on the D, but much of it is on the O and their inability to stay on the field. Not saying it's all Taylor's fault, but he shoulders some of that blame.

In the end it's all about points. The rest is static. If you are scoring points at a clip that puts you top 7 in the league, and you are .500 or worse, guess what? Your offense isn't the problem.

Any talk of " tanking" is a charade. It doesn't work in the NFL, strictly a hockey concept. The passing game was 30th, yes. Can it improve? Sure. We all know the scheme was basic . Healthy WRs and using the middle of the field will increase passing yards. It will likely increase INTs as well. The goal of Offense is still to score points. There is no great passer of the football available (that we know of) . Either keep Taylor or trade for Romo ( or other proven vet upgrade ) . Draft a young QB . You keep trying to upgrade the position, but there is no magic bullett solution out there right now.

The team had over 600 yards of offense the last time he saw the field and the team NEVER turned the ball over.

But yes he can't see the middle of the field so get rid of him and replace him with a rookie!😂😂

Just imagine the stat line if those receivers hadn't been interfered with in the end zone. Two of the most egregious non calls I've ever seen.

and on your planet defense doesn't exist. it's the funniest thing i've ever seen.

Green Bay Miami Oakland Dallas all had no defense and made playoffs.

When your qb can't anticipate routes or be trusted to throw a screen pass you don't make playoffs.

He stinks. Guess you want 1 more year or stink.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Green Bay Miami Oakland Dallas all had no defense and made playoffs.

When your qb can't anticipate routes or be trusted to throw a screen pass you don't make playoffs.

He stinks. Guess you want 1 more year or stink.

Except Green Bay, Miami, Oakland, and Dallas had much better DVOA's; and all ranked higher at creating turnovers. And guess what, all of those defenses had to deal with their offense turning the ball over at a much higher rate than our powder puff group.