1-5: Tyrod Taylor is Having Surgery Today

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor's core muscle surgery was performed this week with the Bills being aware of, and involved in the process to have it done, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. This was not a surprise to the Bills. Taylor was diagnosed with a core muscle issue late in the season and played with it until Week 17. Bills doctors told Taylor that surgery was possible and they even recommended that he visit Dr. Meyers in Philadelphia. None of this was done independently by Taylor; all of it was done with them being fully aware. Dr. Meyers determined there was no medical alternative; surgery was the only option. Taylor's recovery is expected to be six to eight weeks, possibly longer.

@mikerodak

Despite their statement yesterday, Bills were "fully aware" of Tyrod Taylor's groin surgery and involved in process, per @AdamSchefter.

Yeh. Like most of us have been saying.

This has been one of the weirdest off seasons so far for the Bills. I have to admit the level of noise and conflicting reports is astounding.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor's core muscle surgery was performed this week with the Bills being aware of, and involved in the process to have it done, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. This was not a surprise to the Bills. Taylor was diagnosed with a core muscle issue late in the season and played with it until Week 17. Bills doctors told Taylor that surgery was possible and they even recommended that he visit Dr. Meyers in Philadelphia. None of this was done independently by Taylor; all of it was done with them being fully aware. Dr. Meyers determined there was no medical alternative; surgery was the only option. Taylor's recovery is expected to be six to eight weeks, possibly longer.

Good find, Thanks. This is consistent with what Taylor said in his locker-cleanout interview. It also gives a different background to the report that some in the organization wanted to bench Taylor several games back, when the playoffs became improbable - it was not due to any "lack of faith" or "already moved on", it was because what's medically best for the player and for the team's business options, sometimes conflicts with what's best for coach and the team. Taylor wouldn't want to be shut down, because he wants to be "The Man" and because once you give up your job, there's no guarantee in the NFL that you get it back (see: Alex Smith. See also: RGIII/Shanahan decision to try to play.)

It is clearly also best for the Bills options with Taylor's contract for him to get the surgery done right away, so there's the best chance of being recovered by the start of the league year (now 9 weeks away). If Taylor delayed and sought additional opinions or tried a period of rest and PT before surgery, it would actually increase the chances he would still be injured in a way the Bills doctors believed to require surgery.

This puts a different perspective on the moving (cue violins) story by Vrenas in MMQB about how Rex called the question on his firing with Pegs because "Ryan had made a promise to Taylor, telling him that he’d be the Bills starting quarterback as long as Ryan was the coach. Ryan didn’t want to break his word." He knew the guy was playing with an injury that required surgical repair, and he didn't care about the possible impact to the guy's career (playing with an injury such as torn muscle almost always presents heightened risk of worsening the injury by tearing more muscle, more completely) even in a meaningless game, as long as Rex could notch another win. Rex promised he would never quit on the team, but in fact, when he couldn't 100% his way with an injured player, he took his ball and went off to the Clemson game. So much for promises.

I understand that the NFL is a business, and that team success (which players want, it raises their value) requires that players be willing to compromise medically to achieve team goals, but I just threw up in my mouth a little bit at "spinning" Rex's refusal to sit an injured, surgery-requiring Taylor for a meaningless game because he wanted to pad his W-L record to a .500 season as "keeping a promise to Taylor" (cue violins).

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

"Hopefully its not as bad as they [the doctors] think it is," Taylor said. :lol: :lol:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/05/bills-qb-tyrod-taylor-hernia-surgery/

News still pushing the "interesting wording" angle, even after the know Bills suggested surgery. Ah, dysfunction.

BTW there is zero chance the injury clause is pushed by Taylor's side. None. Not when free agency awaits.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

His extension/injury clause has offset language so not really.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I figured he could be paid twice (unlike, say, coaches). Do you have the clause? If not, I still believe you!

No. If he gets paid, he's Bills property.

That is true. I was assuming a cut, which I probably shouldn't. That said, the bad blood will be pretty awful.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I figured he could be paid twice (unlike, say, coaches). Do you have the clause? If not, I still believe you!

That is true. I was assuming a cut, which I probably shouldn't. That said, the bad blood will be pretty awful.

@mikerodak

Important to note: Tyrod Taylor's contract contains offset language that would reduce the amount of any injury guarantee the Bills owe him 2017 by whatever 2017 salaries and bonuses are paid to him by his new team.

C1c2sIiUoAAgRYF.jpg

Taylor will get over it when he gets his FA payday.

Bills aware of, involved in Tyrod Taylor's decision to have surgery

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18418657/buffalo-bills-involved-decision-tyrod-taylor-core-muscle-surgery

Fire berchtold now.

How about fire Joe Buscaglia who started this "Bills didn't know" narrative when he focused solely on the wording of the Bills news release on Tyrod's surgery and not the fact (that was reported days earlier) that the Bills doctors suggested he get surgery and was going to get a second opinion. Not everything is the Bills fault, people.

Of course that's bull **** reporting. The bills however need to tighten ship and not let that stuff happen with any ambiguity.

When someone is out to make you look bad, anything you say or do can be spun. There was no ambiguity in the Bills statement, if you take it in context. But leave out the context and BOOM a four-alarm blaze of outrage.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

How about fire Joe Buscaglia who started this "Bills didn't know" narrative when he focused solely on the wording of the Bills news release on Tyrod's surgery and not the fact (that was reported days earlier) that the Bills doctors suggested he get surgery and was going to get a second opinion. Not everything is the Bills fault, people.

This is what happens when the media use other media as "sources" and I don't understand why any self-respecting editor allows this practice. When Vic C. and co. use terms like "sources from around the league" I just assume it's from other reporters and not actual sources within the league. The media purposely choose to blur the lines so as to appeal to their low information consumers and it's a dishonest practice at best.

This is what happens when the media use other media as "sources" and I don't understand why any self-respecting editor allows this practice. When Vic C. and co. use terms like "sources from around the league" I just assume it's from other reporters and not actual sources within the league. The media purposely choose to blur the lines so as to appeal to their low information consumers and it's a dishonest practice at best.

Yeah, well Vic's Editor doesn't care what you assume--he simply asks Vic who his sources are.