Defense! Defense! Defense!!!

ROONDOGG55

For all of those QB hatin' naysayers out there that consistently blame our QB for the Bills problems (Including Jim Kelly), you are fricken wrong!! That mediocre QB orchestrated the best rushing attack our team has ever had. And a lot of that has to do with his dual threat capabilities. Now our passing game wasn't the greatest, but it also didn't need to be either. Our defense was absolutely horrid, and even worse when we really needed stops. The QB has nothing to do with guys whiffing tackles, blitzing the house EVERY time on 3rd down, playing a 5'6" CB on a 6'7" TE (and then bench him failing in coverage lmfao). I can go on for days, but none of this has anything to do with the damn QB. The defense let us down when we all thought it would be our best asset.

Now, to be honest, I would love to have a prolific QB that can sling the rock up and down the field, but we have had zero success in finding one. I really don't believe that our scouting department has a clue about evaluating QB talent at all. Cardale is definitely not the answer either. The dude has tremendous talent with his size and arm strength, but like EJ, he just doesn't have the ability to make an educated decision. Now off the filed these guys are bright and intelligent young men, but will never be consistent QBs.

So basically what I am saying, is we need to restructure TT's deal and keep him. Hire a defensive minded HC or pick up a great coordinator that can reshape this defense into what it was three seasons ago. Most of the parts are still there. Retain Z. Brown, Lorax, maybe Woody, draft a ball hawking safety and a replacement for Gilly. Drafting Malik Hooker or Quincy Wilson could fill one of those holes with the top pick in the draft.

As for replacements at the top spot, I'm good with retaining Lynn, The Rocket Scientist, and maybe McDerminator. Was big on him last year when the Panthers D was unstoppable, but this year was pretty bad.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of those QB hatin' naysayers out there that consistently blame our QB for the Bills problems (Including Jim Kelly), you are fricken wrong!! That mediocre QB orchestrated the best rushing attack our team has ever had. And a lot of that has to do with his dual threat capabilities. Now our passing game wasn't the greatest, but it also didn't need to be either. Our defense was absolutely horrid, and even worse when we really needed stops. The QB has nothing to do with guys whiffing tackles, blitzing the house EVERY time on 3rd down, playing a 5'6" CB on a 6'7" TE (and then bench him failing in coverage lmfao). I can go on for days, but none of this has anything to do with the damn QB. The defense let us down when we all thought it would be our best asset.

Now, to be honest, I would love to have a prolific QB that can sling the rock up and down the field, but we have had zero success in finding one. I really don't believe that our scouting department has a clue about evaluating QB talent at all. Cardale is definitely not the answer either. The dude has tremendous talent with his size and arm strength, but like EJ, he just doesn't have the ability to make an educated decision. Now off the filed these guys are bright and intelligent young men, but will never be consistent QBs.

So basically what I am saying, is we need to restructure TT's deal and keep him. Hire a defensive minded HC or pick up a great coordinator that can reshape this defense into what it was three seasons ago. Most of the parts are still there. Retain Z. Brown, Lorax, maybe Woody, draft a ball hawking safety and a replacement for Gilly. Drafting Malik Hooker or Quincy Wilson could fill one of those holes with the top pick in the draft.

As for replacements at the top spot, I'm good with retaining Lynn, The Rocket Scientist, and maybe McDerminator. Was big on him last year when the Panthers D was unstoppable, but this year was pretty bad.

Something tells me you haven't run the numbers here.

Something tells me you haven't run the numbers here.

Nah, no need to run the numbers when I can visually see at least 5 players rushing the QB on third down. What exactly were you watching?

1-6 vs .500 teams. Qb is a looooooooza.

Like I said, the QB never lost those games. The defense did

Nah, no need to run the numbers when I can visually see at least 5 players rushing the QB on third down. What exactly were you watching?

There were lots of times we rushed 3.

So absolutely a need to run the numbers.

I agree a good/great defense will also make your chances at winning greater since it means you can get away with a less than stellar offense (see the 1999 teams). Yet Tyrod showed a few times this year including against Baltimore and Seattle when he had to step up with the game on the line he failed. Yes, our defensive stats sucked and we have to improve on that side of the ball but our offense (namely QB) wasn't good enough either. To me what makes QB above average is coming through when you need to, Eli has shown it with he Giants, Elway showed it with the Broncos etc. etc.

Well if TT wasn't a dumpster fire he would complete checkdowns when heavily rushed like the good qb's do (5 rushers)

Ahhh it was all the defense. Not the guy who can't complete passes. Got it. Listen to jimbo, TT ain't it bruh.

The Bills D was average, the Bills O was Average. Bills record (if you didn't tank the last game.) was average. Oakland had a terrible D and a stellar O and are in the playoffs. Bills need to excel on one side of the ball or the other. IMO they are closer to doing that on O than D right now. Great RB check! Great/good WR Check, decent O line check... QB ????? (I ain't touching that one with a ten foot pool)

There were lots of times we rushed 3.

So absolutely a need to run the numbers.

I don't thin Rex ever just rushed 3 unless it was a prevent defense. Now when we didn't blitz we were very successful, but it seems like when we needed a stop they would send the house and almost fail every time. Maybe you can find the stats to prove me wrong because I haven't seen any 3rd down blitz percentage reports any where.

Well if TT wasn't a dumpster fire he would complete checkdowns when heavily rushed like the good qb's do (5 rushers)

Ahhh it was all the defense. Not the guy who can't complete passes. Got it. Listen to jimbo, TT ain't it bruh.

Dude I am definitely saying TT is the truth. The dude cannot see the middle of the field to save his life, and has missed the open guy on several different occasions. All I'm saying is that he is better than every other QB since Jimbo, and that we have had horrible success finding an answer.

The Bills D was average, the Bills O was Average. Bills record (if you didn't tank the last game.) was average. Oakland had a terrible D and a stellar O and are in the playoffs. Bills need to excel on one side of the ball or the other. IMO they are closer to doing that on O than D right now. Great RB check! Great/good WR Check, decent O line check... QB ????? (I ain't touching that one with a ten foot pool)

Hey it ain't pretty, but the offense was definitely above average running the ball. As for passing we were horrid. If we would excel on the defensive side like we should have, then we would be in the same position as the Chiefs with their mediocre QB Alex Smith.

I agree a good/great defense will also make your chances at winning greater since it means you can get away with a less than stellar offense (see the 1999 teams). Yet Tyrod showed a few times this year including against Baltimore and Seattle when he had to step up with the game on the line he failed. Yes, our defensive stats sucked and we have to improve on that side of the ball but our offense (namely QB) wasn't good enough either. To me what makes QB above average is coming through when you need to, Eli has shown it with he Giants, Elway showed it with the Broncos etc. etc.

I'd love to have a stellar QB, but with our scouting department and GM, that will never happen. That is why we should continue with what we have. Ground and pound with the offense and destroy on defense. Kill the clock and play ball like the Seahawks when they won it all a few years ago.

In 2014 the O averaged 21ppg, the D gave up 18, and the bills were 9-7.

With Rex, the O ppg has gone up by about 5, but the D has gone up 5.5 ppg, and the bills have been a .500 team. For both the O and D, the 2-year trend is up.

Without having a franchise qb, the bills were able to generate enough offense to make the playoffs. The D failed them.

Better passing O and we're in the playoffs. Better defense and we're in the playoffs. Improve both we're talking super bowl. The difference is great defenses fade faster than great QBs. With a great QB everything else is easier to fix. So do whatever it takes to get that guy. TT is not that guy. I'm not against drafting 2 every year until we find the guy.

Better passing O and we're in the playoffs. Better defense and we're in the playoffs. Improve both we're talking super bowl. The difference is great defenses fade faster than great QBs. With a great QB everything else is easier to fix. So do whatever it takes to get that guy. TT is not that guy. I'm not against drafting 2 every year until we find the guy.

I wouldn't say it's easier. There a few great QBs out there now with horrible defenses that can't seem to carry their team to the promise land. I'm also not saying TT is the savior either, but he is the best we've had in a while. Having him and drafting QB prospects that could potentially dethrone would be an ideal situation in my opinion.

They have tried to build the D up the past 2 years but the coaching change royally screwed this up by changing schemes. It's hard to win with a great defense because you have to rely on having 11 good to great players and little to no injuries.

A good QB can get a mediocre defense to the playoffs.

We can go 7-9 without Tyrod. He isn't the answer at the position.

1-6 vs .500 teams. Qb is a looooooooza.

Is the coach a loser, or the QB?

Did the D fail to deliver or the O?

While I'm not enamored with TT's poor accuracy, he did lead an offense that scored a lot of points. And the OP is right, TT helped this running attack work.

I see the logic here with the OP. We haven't had a really good QB since Kelly so let's be realistic. We're probably not going to find the new Kelly soon. So let's build the offense around TT and fix the D.

This offense scored a lot of points without a real RT and a cast of walking wounded and rejects at WR. If we go all in on the TT offense, we could score more points next year. Enough points to get to the playoffs if the D steps up.

I'd rather find a franchise QB but I understand the alternative solution.

I don't thin Rex ever just rushed 3 unless it was a prevent defense. Now when we didn't blitz we were very successful, but it seems like when we needed a stop they would send the house and almost fail every time. Maybe you can find the stats to prove me wrong because I haven't seen any 3rd down blitz percentage reports any where.

Dude I am definitely saying TT is the truth. The dude cannot see the middle of the field to save his life, and has missed the open guy on several different occasions. All I'm saying is that he is better than every other QB since Jimbo, and that we have had horrible success finding an answer.

Hey it ain't pretty, but the offense was definitely above average running the ball. As for passing we were horrid. If we would excel on the defensive side like we should have, then we would be in the same position as the Chiefs with their mediocre QB Alex Smith.

I'd love to have a stellar QB, but with our scouting department and GM, that will never happen. That is why we should continue with what we have. Ground and pound with the offense and destroy on defense. Kill the clock and play ball like the Seahawks when they won it all a few years ago.

The problem is Tyrod and his passing struggles don't allow us to sustain drives late in the game to kill clock etc. Jim Kelly called him out on it yesterday perfectly.

While I'm not enamored with TT's poor accuracy, he did lead an offense that scored a lot of points. And the OP is right, TT helped this running attack work.

I see the logic here with the OP. We haven't had a really good QB since Kelly so let's be realistic. We're probably not going to find the new Kelly soon. So let's build the offense around TT and fix the D.

This offense scored a lot of points without a real RT and a cast of walking wounded and rejects at WR. If we go all in on the TT offense, we could score more points next year. Enough points to get to the playoffs if the D steps up.

I'd rather find a franchise QB but I understand the alternative solution.

Since a rookie contract is cheap, I think the best shot is to retain Tyrod and keep looking for that really good QB in the draft.

The problem with thinking "toss this dude on the scrap heap, he's not good enough" is that the draft is far from a sure bet, even with the best talent evaluators.

Meanwhile losing becomes a habit, just like anything else a team does - so if you have a losing culture, and you plug in a QB who might be a winner on a team that's used to trying hard, he's pushing a rock uphill.

Better IMHO to keep a capable QB who can win some games and push to have a scrappy team that tries hard 100% of the time, while looking for a better QB.