Defense! Defense! Defense!!!

ROONDOGG55

Dude, the problem was that the defense gave up those leads. I don't understand why some of you think TT needs to put up crazy numbers for us to win. Winning games late when the defense has shut down the offense is a must, and some times he can't make the plays. But dude, when the defense gives up 20 point leads late in the game there's not much a QB can do to fix that.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain to me how it is difficult to win with a great defense? Almost every championship winning team had a great defense. You have no idea what you are talking about do you?

I don't see 7-9 without TT. Having said that, he is frustrating to watch. I'm in the keep TT camp, on a restructured deal.

Explain to me how it is difficult to win with a great defense? Almost every championship winning team had a great defense. You have no idea what you are talking about do you?

Statistics somewhat support your notion, but you get an incomplete grade for not doing your homework. If we look at the last 15 years in the NFL as a sample, the average offense and defense both are in the top ten (9.9 and 8.4). The standard deviation and confidence intervals support that the offenses that have won Superbowls are more consistent year to year. At a 95% interval, the offense would be ranked 6.7-13.1, while the defense would be ranked 4.0-12.8. You really can't say statistically that one is "better" than the other, but can draw a conclusion that there's much more variation. There are clearly some really good defenses that have won Superbowls, but they've been backed by solid offenses as well. Over this sample, only 3 offenses were below average, and they were backed by top-10 defenses. Over this same timeframe, there were 4 defenses that were below average as well, and 3 out of 4 had top-10 offenses backing them up. Only the 2007 Giants with the 14th ranked offense and 17th ranked defense was the exception. They did play lights out defense in the playoffs none the less.

My conclusion is that if you're mediocre on both sides of the ball, you're not going to win anything. If you're exceptional at either, you have a chance.

You clearly missed my point. It's hard to rely on winning by creating a team that can even have a great defense. You need a lot to go right... Every team wants a great defense. It's not easy to accomplish because you need 11 great players and no significant injuries to get that done. It's NOT EASY.