MMQB: Peter King on the Bills' HC Search

17 years, drafting 4 QB's, 2 in the first round, is "prioritizing the position?"

We've taken 4 CB's in the first round in that amount of time.

We've taken 3 RB's in the first round in that amount of time.

Were you intending to be sarcastic?

You need more CB's on the roster than QB's. And we were wrong to draft 3 RB's in the first round.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok?

Any way to prove that because it certainly isnt being proved on the field

We haven't seen Hack on the field, but we sure as hell have seen Wentz and he's the truth.

But for the sake of argument John, let's say Hack isn't good and the Jets take Watson next year and he IS good. Then it works.

You need more CB's on the roster than QB's. And we were wrong to draft 3 RB's in the first round.

You need a good QB on the team more than 3 good players of any position.

Ya know, it is arguably the case that the Bills worst victory of this century is their week 5 victory in OT over Cincinatti in 2003. Eric Moulds, who was on fire that season, got hurt on his game-deciding big reception in OT (torn groin) and was a shell of himself the rest of the season (when he actually played). It basically completely destroyed the offense (30th in points; 30th in yards), which was doing well beforehand. If they had managed to lose that game? They would drafted 10th at worst and leaped ahead of Pitt in draft order.

Amen !!

We haven't seen Hack on the field, but we sure as hell have seen Wentz and he's the truth.

But for the sake of argument John, let's say Hack isn't good and the Jets take Watson next year and he IS good. Then it works.

You need a good QB on the team more than 3 good players of any position.

Word on the street is that Hackenberg has looked like crap in practice. I won't be surprised if the Jets go qb in round one.

What does signing Terrell Owens have to do with the Pegula's? I am all about talking football and figuring out how the Bills can get better. On that I am sure we are in agreement. But you keep bringing up strange items that have nothing to do with current ownership (who bought the team two years) ago, finding a QB, and hiring the right coach.

As for "holding them accountable", how do you propose to do that?

What personnel changes has Pegula made to the organization other than coach, which wasn't initiated by him since Marrone quit ??

This organization hasn't won in almost two decades, do you think it might make sense to change some of the folks that were leading it over that time period ?

so a QB in the 1st round every other year makes sense to you? That sounds like the Browns to me. Certainly there can be a middle ground.

The short answer is YES. At least the Browns are fighting to find one.

2, 1st round picks for the most important position in team sports is not enough, not even close.

What personnel changes has Pegula made to the organization other than coach, which wasn't initiated by him since Marrone quit ??

This organization hasn't won in almost two decades, do you think it might make sense to change some of the folks that were leading it over that time period ?

The short answer is YES. At least the Browns are fighting to find one.

2, 1st round picks for the most important position in team sports is not enough, not even close.

That didn't answer my question. What does Terrell Owens have to do with anything? Did you know that Ralph Wilson died?

And if you want to say Brandon is still making decisions we'll know soon enough. The Pegula's leaned on Brandon a lot when they took over and are now leaning on the football guy instead of the marketing guy. That's called learning. And Whaley only has so much rope. If he fails to improve the team he will be gone soon as well.

Dude, let the past go. You sound like the guy who is afraid to date because his high school girlfriend broke up with him.

That didn't answer my question. What does Terrell Owens have to do with anything? Did you know that Ralph Wilson died?

And if you want to say Brandon is still making decisions we'll know soon enough. The Pegula's leaned on Brandon a lot when they took over and are now leaning on the football guy instead of the marketing guy. That's called learning. And Whaley only has so much rope. If he fails to improve the team he will be gone soon as well.

Dude, let the past go. You sound like the guy who is afraid to date because his high school girlfriend broke up with him.

I'm sorry I'm struggling to follow your logic.

Let me try again, what makes Pegula think that this team will succeed with the same organization (i.e. people and structure) that has failed over the past 2 decades ? My point is simple, he has kept the same individuals in key positions that have failed and now thinks they'll succeed ? It makes no sense.

It's not living in the past, it's looking at the track record of failed picks, failed signings, failed football personnel strategies, failed hires as coaches, failed hires of GM's, failed contract languages etc. etc.

Football should be a performance based business, if you can't win, you are out, enough with this mindset that mediocrity is okay, it's not.

Let me try again, what makes Pegula think that this team will succeed with the same organization (i.e. people and structure) that has failed over the past 2 decades ? My point is simple, he has kept the same individuals in key positions that have failed and now thinks they'll succeed ? It makes no sense.

It's not living in the past, it's looking at the track record of failed picks, failed signings, failed football personnel strategies, failed hires as coaches, failed hires of GM's, failed contract languages etc. etc.

Football should be a performance based business, if you can't win, you are out, enough with this mindset that mediocrity is okay, it's not.

I just went over this. Brandon was there a lot with Pegula when he bought the team. And the Pegulas listened to Brandon on their coaching hire, Rex. Whaley wanted to keep 4-3 defense and get an offensive coach.

Now the Pegulas have kept Brandon away from football operations and are letting their football guy do the search. That is a change in organization. There is even contemplation of the new coach reporting to the GM and not directly to the Pegulas.

Whaley bought himself some time because he convinced the Pegulas that coaching was a bigger problem than personnel.

My main issue with this is the QB. I think Whaley's weakness is finding a QB and I want some insight into how that will change.

What would you like to see happen?

Fire Brandon or completely remove him from any responsibility for either franchise. He created a culture that is toxic and I don't see that changing with him being responsible for anything related to bills.

Fire overdorf and anyone responsible for the contracts that were given to Marrone (opt out language) and Dareus

I'd hire and empower a head of football operations, most teams call it GM. Person should b responsible for all football decisions, contracts, HC, scouts, pro and college

I don't think Whaley deserves more time

His record at best grades out as a "C-", not good enough to change current trajectory

I'd make finding a true franchise QB the #1 priority, if that means using a 1st round pick every year, so be it, you can't win consistently in NFL without one, how much worse can it be if we waste a #1 pick than what we've experienced over past 17 years

:thumbsup: I get it and totally agree; unfortunately many do not. I think we are now looking at 20m years without a playoff appearance. This board will blaming the media, local and national, thinking we are real close. Come December of 2017 it will be the same old "same old."

It doesn't help any that DW isn't a very good public speaker to come across that way without even trying, (TP is no better either IMO, Kim on the other hand is very good)

In the 17 years since the Bills last made the playoffs, they:

-- traded a #1 for a QB (Bledsoe)

-- traded back into the 1st rd for a QB (Losman)

-- drafted a QB in the 3rd round (Edwards)

-- drafted a QB in the 1st round (Manuel)

-- signed Taylor as a FA

-- drafted a QB in the 4th round (Cardale)

They haven't failed to prioritize QB, they've simply made the wrong choices or the jury is still out (Taylor, Cardale).

Also, Whaley didn't come across as clueless, he came across as indignant and indifferent to the media. There's a HUGE difference.

Look, the organization as a whole has failed for 17 years running -- nobody is disputing that. But your diatribe is simply not accurate.

Big jump between 2 and 3. Likely if you took this poll 6 months ago Bills may not have even been top 10 before the wheels again came off for Rex

Here's good news, sort of. According to PFT, the Bills are not the most dysfunction club in the NFL:

1. 49ers: 43%
2. Browns: 32%
3. Bills 10%
4. Jets 6%
5. Rams 5%
6. Chargers 3%

We're only the 3rd most dysfunctional according to a PFT poll.

The 9ers and Brownies are way out in front right now. Though it wouldn't surprise me if some Bills fans started voting repeatedly for the Bills.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/which-nfl-franchise-is-the-most-dysfunctional/

The only point proven here is how completely clueless you are and ignore reality to support an agenda? There's about 10 teams in the league that have true franchise QB's, the rest if you were to look closely have as gone through QB's at very little difference of an over all rate. I recall in 2010 I went back to since Kelly retired (1996 to 2010) and how many starting QB's the Bills had compared to every other team in the league (I ignored temporary injury fills in for all teams) and the Bills were no worse than many others and better than some. I do recall at that point in time Miami and the Giants both had gone through more. Which was really kind of amazing as by 2010 the Giants already have 5 years of Eli Manning which really would mean the Giants in around a nine year span went through I think it was 8 or 9. Welcome to the NFL!

If it takes you 7 drafts to recognize that QB was a serious need, then you are ignoring the position.

Thanks for proving my point !

No franchise QB and they spent 3 1st picks over 17 years, should be 8 or 9 if you ask me.

Ridiculous.

Fits my narrative ?

Seriously, how do you define success for a football team ?

I'm not whining about press coverage, I wish the Buffalo News would be tougher on this front office and it took them 10+ years to create the linkage between Brandon and the performance of this team on the field. It is LONG overdue for the media and fans to hold this organization more accountable to the product on the field. Narrative ? that's bull **** deflection. The only narrative necessary is the W-L record over the past 17 years, the lack of even ONE playoff appearance, a GM that comes across as clueless, an organization that has failed to prioritize the QB position as essential to long term success, the ridiculous marketing influence on personnel moves, i.e. signing TO, hiring Marrone and Rex

Once you start accepting mediocrity it will become the norm and this team will NEVER win.

I think it was kind of tolerated and expected because everyone knew ralph wilson was the boss. Things like cash to the cap and bills in toronto took preference to winning. With pegula, the standards instantly changed. Especially with the lessons learned with the sabres, it was unexpected and extremely frustrating that pegula decided to continue the same lineage of failed management, thinking that throwing money at them would fix the many shortcomings

Wow. Reading some of the posts on this thread I feel like the collective board is clueless about the reality of how the rest of the country feels about this franchise.

I thought it impossible, but Whaley's presser created a new low for this team, he came across as incompetent, the Pegulas as a couple of amateurs and Brandon as someone doing his best to insulate himself for any and all blame so he isn't fired.

Meanwhile, on this board we get the same old ass kissing lackeys defending all of the above and blaming the media

It seems like a lot of Bills fans are as dysfunctional as this team

I live in Dallas and I can tell you definitively not only is national media trashing this team, but every NFL fan (I've spoken to many) is doing the same.

WAKE UP BUFFALO !!

I agree but WE CAN'T HANDLE HTE TRUTH!!

For those of you that constantly label anyone that may have a positive thing to say about the Bills, players and or organization with the kool - aid drinker, delusional, etc. etc. etc: !#%!! the all of you, kiss my @$$, and @#$% my #$@%!

Another cup? White sneakers are over there. Mother ship will be here soon

31 jobs in the NFL. Being a coach is an honor and opportunity. Why wouldn't you want to be a coach? Don't believe all of the propaganda and crap that the media puts out there. Do the Bills have issues? Yes, but so does every ball club.