Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

why? I don't know much about him and trying to learn more.

Like the way that he has run his defense. Not just schematically but this has been a defense that has been tough and disciplined for the most part. It is a projection for whether he can bring that to an entire team, but in all honestly it is not a great list of exciting candidates. McDermott has had top 10 defences 4 of his 6 years in Carolina and they are a team built with no dissimilar personnel to what we have.

EDIT: I am not saying he is my first choice hire. Just that he would be my choice of the names we have been confirmed as interviewing.

Edited by GunnerBill

Not sure I get this one. The Bills had a better defense both in yards and points over Carolina.

Not sure we should judge HC candidates based on one year of how their unit performed. Teams are up and down every year...

It's like fans that don't want Lynn because of the Bush call; I hated that call too, but one call doesn't necessarily mean that the guy isn't qualified to be a HC.

why? I don't know much about him and trying to learn more.

He is thought of very highly in Philadelphia, which is saying something considering the enmity they have with departed coaches (they still rip Reid and Kelly). He was a DB coach during a period of very strong defense in the mid 2000s and spent a few years as DC at the end of Reid's time in Philly.

There were a lot of calls for the Eagles to take a look at him last season as HC, and fans ripped the ream for taking Doug Piederson over him.

He runs a 4-3, and had an excellent defense in 2014 and 15 with the Panthers.

He is thought of very highly in Philadelphia, which is saying something considering the enmity they have with departed coaches (they still rip Reid and Kelly). He was a DB coach during a period of very strong defense in the mid 2000s and spent a few years as DC at the end of Reid's time in Philly.

There were a lot of calls for the Eagles to take a look at him last season as HC, and fans ripped the ream for taking Doug Piederson over him.

He runs a 4-3, and had an excellent defense in 2014 and 15 with the Panthers.

good to know. I wonder if the Bills might franchise Gilmore if he's hired. He seems to have really needed Norman...

I did some digging and I found the workup of McDermott's scheme and I have to say I'm a fan based on what we have: http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/28/2831884/the-panthers-defense-a-treatise-on-the-jim-johnson-4-3-part-i

It's closer to Pettine's 4-3 under: Dareus moves back to one gapping the 1 tech. Hughes plays the role of 9 tech DE. They need a 7 tech DE on the strong side, so I would either use Lawson there, or have him be the Sam (which is where the other Lawson used to play).

He plays a zone defense so hopefully he can help out Darby.

Edit: Looking it over, I would put Douzable at the 7 tech, Lawson at SLB, Ragland or Preston at MLB and Ragland or Zach at WLB.

I think that gives us our front 7 back.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

I did some digging and I found the workup of McDermott's scheme and I have to say I'm a fan based on what we have: http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/28/2831884/the-panthers-defense-a-treatise-on-the-jim-johnson-4-3-part-i

It's closer to Pettine's 4-3 under: Dareus moves back to one gapping the 1 tech. Hughes plays the role of 9 tech DE. They need a 7 tech DE on the strong side, so I would either use Lawson there, or have him be the Sam (which is where the other Lawson used to play).

He plays a zone defense so hopefully he can help out Darby.

If he is scheme dependent I don't want him. We were 4-3 for Pettine then got rid of several players and drafted for Wrecks 3-4 defense. If he is scheme dependent then we need to turnover roster yet again. I want a football coach that puts players in positions to make plays.

I remember Marty Schottenheimer on NFL radio said once that when he was hired he brought in coordinators who he thought could get the best out of his players. He never worried about 3-4 vs 4-3. Just get the good coaches because the NFL will always catch up to the next scheme.