Bills will consider Teryl Austin, Reich, Harold Goodwin

YoloinOhio

I believe the Pegulas want to fire a coach for the long term.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem with a suboptimal hire like Lynn is that "you have to give the new guy time" so we'll be stuck for 3 seasons.

After all, continuity.

OR Pegula will fire him ANd Whaley next November, repeating the same mistake he made with the Sabres firing Ruff but keeping the GM and letting that GM hire another coach.

This is why I have felt that if you dump Rex, do the full cleaning. Otherwise we will bet hitting 20+ years...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moose in the house!!!

Yes, Scott - my cameo appearance...

Happy 2107!

P.S. Nobody seems to understand that, until I am able to return to Elmira, the Bills will not make the playoffs and the Patriettes will continue to dominate the AFC East. It's been thus ever since I moved to CT seventeen years ago... and I have two more years before I can retire and return home. (Feel free to send me lottery tickets in the hope that I can get back sooner!)

A rare time I disagree with you.

I believe the Pegulas want to fire a coach for the long term. I believe they thought Rex would be their coach for many, many years. I think they were shocked at what they saw once he was there. I think they evaluated Rex beyond his record and looked at the general disorganization of the team, egged on by Whaleys narrative and decided to pull the cord early.

Give them a coach who didn't field 10 players in OT and a generally well run team and I think they will stick for a while.

How many times did the Bills have to call timeout on offense because they could not get a play off before the play clock expired?

Good to see Frank get another shot, but not sure he's the right guy. He would definitely be more the right guy if the Bills are keeping Tyrod. Not sure why we don't give Wade Phillips a look. He's 82-61, even after coaching that circus in Dallas. He'd definitely be the right guy to get the Bills defense back in shape. He's a guy that uses the ingredients to cook instead of forcing his recipe down the GM's throat.

I believe the Pegulas want to fire a coach for the long term. I believe they thought Rex would be their coach for many, many years. I think they were shocked at what they saw once he was there. I think they evaluated Rex beyond his record and looked at the general disorganization of the team, egged on by Whaleys narrative and decided to pull the cord early.

Give them a coach who didn't field 10 players in OT and a generally well run team and I think they will stick for a while.

I also think the Pegulas continued their practice of meeting directly with players throughout the season, and became convinced that Rex was not doing his job effectively.

I believe the Pegulas want to hire a coach for the long term. I believe they thought Rex would be their coach for many, many years. I think they were shocked at what they saw once he was there. I think they evaluated Rex beyond his record and looked at the general disorganization of the team, egged on by Whaleys narrative and decided to pull the cord early.

I don't disagree that they want a long term coach but it is VERY likely to get worse without Tyrod. VERY likely. Top 7 scoring offense with least turnovers in NFL.........yeah I doubt they sniff that sans.

I think Whaley has one season to prove it was Rex's fault and not his.......and when it doesn't work, he's gone.......and when the GM goes it's curtains for the coaches.

What we are seeing IMO is that the Pegula's REALLY don't know that much about football yet.

I remember hearing how big of a Bills fan Terry was and then this year a story was printed where Kim said they lived 2 miles from the stadium and never even attended a game during the SB era. :lol:

Kudos to their wonderful contribution to the community........bailing out these franchises.......but if they came into this situation as green as it has appeared it's not surprising they've had a shaky start.

Removing Brandon from the coach hiring decision was a start but Whaley hasn't found anything resembling a QB in the 7 years he's been here.........Tyrod was a Rex find.......so his otherwise middling track record with personnel should get weighted down by that.

And I think it does.........and every prospective coach should be able to see this.

Imagine the fantastic assemblage of assistant coaches a nobody like Lynn would attract!

That is my main concern with him too. Well, that and the fact that we haven't seen what an offense or defense would look like if he designed it. And what kind of defense does Lynn believe in? There are many unanswered questions with him.

Pegulas have shown through their actions that they are not afraid to pay for whatever they consider to be the best of the best.

The Bills could very well end up with a big name up and coming coach - much bigger than Lynn.

The Cardinals Offense had a massive (6 PPG) dropoff in scoring compared to last year. Working with much different talent, Lynn was a better OC. Why would Goodwin be considered by anyone for HC"?

I have no idea.

Their offense was criticized a lot this year for not having a short/midrange passing game...........and we got to see it first hand in Buffalo!

Hardly impressive.

@viccarucci

#Bills called #Eagles RE potential interview w OC Frank Reich. Unknown if they've made a formal request for permission to interview.

Thrilling list of options so far.

And before anyone asks Reich was gone before Wade came to Buffalo so not sure there would be any connection. :thumbsup:

Again this year, the head coach search season highlights hiring clubs plowing through the pack of trendy wieners (i.e. now suddenly brilliant OCs and DCs that you hadn't heard of ten days ago) that really don't seem to merit any more consideration than anyone named Ryan.

Anthony Lynn will win the job and delver Gus Bradley as DC. Lynn has made it very clear that Cardale Jones is his starter by praising the rookie but making sure to underscore Taylor's limitations. Jones just LOOKS like the starter. The defense will return to a 4 - 3 which served the club well under Schwartz.

The two things that held the Bills back this season - the passing game and a below average D - and their resolution - Cardale Jones and Gus 4-3 Bradley - will be what Whaley will sell to the Pegulas. Probably a good move, unless Jon Gruden calls.

Didn't watch, you got the impression Tyrod is a goner?

That post was yesterday before the PC.

I think the plan at one time was to move on but the offense was so productive........and EJ and Cardale looked so bad Sunday.......that they might be re-considering.