Has Tyrod Progressed In 2 Years

PolishDave

I would like to see Tyrod Taylor play for Denver. Then while he's hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, he can ask all the Buffalo Sports Media and fans who think he stinks, how he smells now.

You just layed out my worst nightmare. Good enough for John Elway. Not good enough for Doug Whaley. Lets take it a step further. EJ Manuel goes 25-35 for 375 and 4 tds tomorrow against a completely disinterested Jets team. Whaley takes the bait. Cuts Tyrod because EJ has arrived. He becomes the starter next year. Bills go 2-14 and lead the league in turnovers.

Edited by TANK2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see we've regressed into the "Tyrod will lead another team to a championship" mode, which is silly. Nobody "hates" Tyrod; some of us simply see his deficiencies and don't believe he will ever be the kind of QB who can carry a team on his back. He's not terrible, he's just not great. It's not a bad thing to push for greatness rather than settling for average.

I will be fine if Tyrod is kept and is the starter next season, as long as a plan is in place to find a true franchise QB.

I think he's worked on what he was being criticized for most last season, throwing over the middle. He has continued to struggle with reads and snap to release times.

I've heard a lot of complaints about his deep ball, but that could be the receivers. He's still managed to reduce turnovers, which imo was his primary responsibility with our rushing attack.

For all of us, this is yet another frustrating and unanswerable question. MAJ will say no and it is hard to argue against him. I would say he did not regress and he is still TBD. I don't know how to evaluate this season with the points produced and the injuries at WR. As much as MAJ will scream TT is not a good QB, he doesn't know either.

TT won very few if any games this year. But did he really lose any this year? I will give you Baltimore and Oakland as games he crapped the bed the most. He got a big assist from the defense in losing the Oakland game but even one scoring drive it he second half and the Bills probably win that game.

If TT is not the QB next year, you can guarantee his replacement will cough the ball up much more even if he plays to the league average. MAJ please be advised you will be reminded of this mercilessly next year by this entire board. Will the increased turnovers be overshadowed by more yards and more scores? Perhaps but the offense will be hard pressed to score more points regardless of how they do it.

But again the Bills and we the fans go into another off season just not knowing. Is TT the guy or not? Will he get better? What is a better option?

For all the people that don't buy into TT, I have not seen a single viable option to upgrade the QB position. Romo? Why would Dallas trade him? He is the perfect insurance policy for Dak's inevitable fall from grace. Eli? Come on. EJ? F no. A rookie? Which one? Trade a first rounder to the Patriots for Janeane Garofalo? Sure why not.

I lost my way and faith for a time with TT. But that was anger and rage with a blow the whole thing up mind-set. I could still be persuaded the best answer is to get rid of everyone; Russ, Whaley, TT, Rex, Lynn, the medical staff, St. John Fisher. The whole thing.

But in the end I will go on record, he neither progressed or regressed and say the best option to win next year is TT and a 4-3 defense.

So you would rather he chose from his worse game at the beginning of the year to see how he progresses? Progress seems to mean judging at the end and the end just so happened to be his best right?

Nah Cincy would be good. Middle of the year.

Care to name all these HC who would rather take coordinator positions than come here at this point?

For that matter all these coordinators who would rather remain coordinators than come here?

You seem well-informed, so I hope you'll satisfy our curiousity.

I can see coordinators on a championship team preferring to stay there in some instances.

My post didnt say HC's want to become Coordinators. It said there are Coordinators that would rather wait to land an ideal spot than just come to Buffalo to be a HC.

Haley, Gase, and Mcdaniels all off the top of my head have turned down HC interviews with teams at some point. So my response to the other poster about there only being 32 HC spots and any coordinator will jump on it I dont think is necessarily true. The really good coordinators are going to be a little more picky.

As for the HC that would rather be a coordinator than HC of the Bills that was Marrone.

Edited by bobobonators

For all of us, this is yet another frustrating and unanswerable question. MAJ will say no and it is hard to argue against him. I would say he did not regress and he is still TBD. I don't know how to evaluate this season with the points produced and the injuries at WR. As much as MAJ will scream TT is not a good QB, he doesn't know either.

TT won very few if any games this year. But did he really lose any this year? I will give you Baltimore and Oakland as games he crapped the bed the most. He got a big assist from the defense in losing the Oakland game but even one scoring drive it he second half and the Bills probably win that game.

If TT is not the QB next year, you can guarantee his replacement will cough the ball up much more even if he plays to the league average. MAJ please be advised you will be reminded of this mercilessly next year by this entire board. Will the increased turnovers be overshadowed by more yards and more scores? Perhaps but the offense will be hard pressed to score more points regardless of how they do it.

But again the Bills and we the fans go into another off season just not knowing. Is TT the guy or not? Will he get better? What is a better option?

For all the people that don't buy into TT, I have not seen a single viable option to upgrade the QB position. Romo? Why would Dallas trade him? He is the perfect insurance policy for Dak's inevitable fall from grace. Eli? Come on. EJ? F no. A rookie? Which one? Trade a first rounder to the Patriots for Janeane Garofalo? Sure why not.

I lost my way and faith for a time with TT. But that was anger and rage with a blow the whole thing up mind-set. I could still be persuaded the best answer is to get rid of everyone; Russ, Whaley, TT, Rex, Lynn, the medical staff, St. John Fisher. The whole thing.

But in the end I will go on record, he neither progressed or regressed and say the best option to win next year is TT and a 4-3 defense.

I have softened my stance in TT after talking with my buddies a long time over the Holdiay Break for me well at least in terms of what he privides on the field.

Its really about Hedging pick his option up fine. Take a top QB as well (identify who you think is a Franchise QB and take him. Ie i will SLAM the Bills mercilessly if they do what they have done in history and wait until late rounds and draft a developmental QB.

Last year that was actually the right move this year with no progression as a passer for TT the position needs to be addressed early in the draft.

So there you have it even though i am pretty sure TT is not a long term answer i am agnostic on keeping him or not because the window is open right now (talent on the field).

Understand though everyone wanting to pick up the option that will be your ONLY big time UFA move because after that move they really are cap tight for what they will have to accomplish

You just layed out my worst nightmare. Good enough for John Elway. Not good enough for Doug Whaley. Lets take it a step further. EJ Manuel goes 25-35 for 375 and 4 tds tomorrow against a completely disinterested Jets team. Whaley takes the bait. Cuts Tyrod because EJ has arrived. He becomes the starter next year. Bills go 2-14 and lead the league in turnovers.

First off what prood does anyone have that he is good enough for John Elway. Ooo wait he might be John was going to commit alot of money to Brock as well.

I have softened my stance in TT after talking with my buddies a long time over the Holdiay Break for me well at least in terms of what he privides on the field.

Its really about Hedging pick his option up fine. Take a top QB as well (identify who you think is a Franchise QB and take him. Ie i will SLAM the Bills mercilessly if they do what they have done in history and wait until late rounds and draft a developmental QB.

Last year that was actually the right move this year with no progression as a passer for TT the position needs to be addressed early in the draft.

So there you have it even though i am pretty sure TT is not a long term answer i am agnostic on keeping him or not because the window is open right now (talent on the field).

Understand though everyone wanting to pick up the option that will be your ONLY big time UFA move because after that move they really are cap tight for what they will have to accomplish

First off what prood does anyone have that he is good enough for John Elway. Ooo wait he might be John was going to commit alot of money to Brock as well.

I agree they should target another QB in rounds 2-4 unless Jones has shown more in practice than anyone knows. They should take the best safety on the board in round one hopefully after a trade down.

Once A. Williams retires, EJ is off the books, P. Brown is released, and they let Gilmore walk they should have some money left over for a #2 WR, a safety, and hopefully keep Z. Brown.

Should be a fun off-season

I agree they should target another QB in rounds 2-4 unless Jones has shown more in practice than anyone knows. They should take the best safety on the board in round one hopefully after a trade down.

Once A. Williams retires, EJ is off the books, P. Brown is released, and they let Gilmore walk they should have some money left over for a #2 WR, a safety, and hopefully keep Z. Brown.

Should be a fun off-season

A Williams retires that frees up 2M

Preston Brown is so cheap why release him

So you have 36 under contract with 33M in space (after A Williams retires)

That is cap tight might have one 5-7M cap hit guy (middle of the row WR) and then low cap role players.

A Williams retires that frees up 2M

Preston Brown is so cheap why release him

So you have 36 under contract with 33M in space (after A Williams retires)

That is cap tight might have one 5-7M cap hit guy (middle of the row WR) and then low cap role players.

How many ufa/rfa do they have? Like 25 or something like that. DW has a lot of work to do.

How many ufa/rfa do they have? Like 25 or something like that. DW has a lot of work to do.

Not to worried about that in a sense RFAS and ERFA are easy

But we do have 36 on contract (counting Tyrod).

So need 17 for the 53

And an Ass ton for 90

Yeah thats alot of work

Not to mention some of those 36 should really be replaced (like Easley, IK, Lewis, )

This team is VERY top heavy

We have the 6th highest scoring offense in the league with TT. Unless you can pry Philip Rivers from SD (doubtful), IMHO we should stick with him. Lynn has indicated he hasn't been asked to do a lot of things by Roman. I'd like to see what an off-season under Lynn produces. Concentrate on fixing the defense and special teams aND we'll be a 12 win team.

We have the 6th highest scoring offense in the league with TT. Unless you can pry Philip Rivers from SD (doubtful), IMHO we should stick with him. Lynn has indicated he hasn't been asked to do a lot of things by Roman. I'd like to see what an off-season under Lynn produces. Concentrate on fixing the defense and special teams aND we'll be a 12 win team.

But has he progressed?

Bingo. Respect even one of the staunchest supporters over the year that had some lively debates with can even see it clearly

Right? Geez 12/31/2016 John kept it real. He always said Tyrod wasnt great but to say he could make a case for regression... Wow!!!!

Right? Geez 12/31/2016 John kept it real. He always said Tyrod wasnt great but to say he could make a case for regression... Wow!!!!

Actually....i said that SOME could make a case for regression but I would not.

I think that not having your blue chip primary receiver HAS to be taken into consideration........TT had trust issues with his street free agent wr/glass goodwin receivers all season.

Its a tough call because you are going forwards or backwards hardly ever is it stationary......but I do believe his numbers would be better with better pass catchers making plays.

If the current OC coaching staff is retained....I keep Tyrod and draft a qb high

But has he progressed?

No, but does it matter? Every running QB regresses their 2nd year. Every singe one. This should have been fully expected and everyone's panties would be lodged between their cheeks. It is a steeper learning curve as they need to figure out (or not) that you need to learn how to throw the ball to win. I wish I could find it, but there was a multi-page topic on this at the end of last season.

If you want to make the argument that we move on to a strict pocket passer

No, but does it matter? Every running QB regresses their 2nd year. Every singe one. This should have been fully expected and everyone's panties would be lodged between their cheeks. It is a steeper learning curve as they need to figure out (or not) that you need to learn how to throw the ball to win. I wish I could find it, but there was a multi-page topic on this at the end of last season.

If you want to make the argument that we move on to a strict pocket passer

Yeahit probably does matter seeing that was the thread was aboutn

Yeahit probably does matter seeing that was the thread was aboutn

Here it is. Good reading. Started by FireChan of all people:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/184548-fergys-op-ed-on-mobile-qbs-and-their-career-trajectories/

Great reading. Great discussion. I just wish mods wouldn't automatically lock all old threads. Should be pinned.

Edited by Saint Doug