One More Comeback - Frank Reich

flopagamo

FRANK REICH 2017

I'm a DC area transplant and extremely infrequent poster here... a WNYer from the 70s and 80s who serves as the sobering voice to fellow transplanted Bills fans in my area who get caught up in the playoff scenarios year after year with unwarranted optimism. I'm the guy who says to them, "Fellas, just stop it. It's not going to happen." I would love to be optimistic about the Bills, but I've reached a point where I can't get all that fired up anymore. And I hate that! I'm getting old. I've grown weary of the annual disappointment.

The Buffalo Bills have almost made me hate NFL football. They're not even good at being bad... they manage to get middling draft picks every year by being just good enough to miss the playoffs by a game or two.

I've been down on pretty much every head coach since Marv, and none more so than Rex Ryan, especially after he dumped a very successful d-coordinator, then later hired his own bumbling brother (he of the reverse midas touch) to commence ruining what was once a very good defense. Good riddance, Rex. Who knew the NFL coaching ranks were nothing more than a jobs program for incompetent family members?

I need a reason to get excited about this team again.

Frank Reich seems to be on nobody's short list... and perhaps he doesn't deserve top-dog consideration yet. That said, given all the mediocrity that Bills fans have endured for so long, would anyone really object to the Pegulas giving one of the region's favorite guys a chance to pull off another kind of comeback?

FRANK REICH 2017

LET'S CALL IT A COMEBACK

Frank's a nice enough guy and all but making him a HC is risky. It be a good PR move and he might have what it takes since he's been an OC the last few years but I haven't been impressed with his offenses in San Diego or Philly all things considered.

Forget his offenses. I don't want a glorified coordinator. When Frank Reich says this is the way we are going will people follow him?

I am not advocating Reich but that is the only question the Bills should be asking of any candidate this time. Is he a disciplined leader? If not don't even bother with an interview.

Frank's a nice enough guy and all but making him a HC is risky. It be a good PR move and he might have what it takes since he's been an OC the last few years but I haven't been impressed with his offenses in San Diego or Philly all things considered.

offenses have ranked 16th 17th my question is he worked for two play callers in McCoy and Peterson what was the OC relationship. What were his responisblities- leadership, smarts, character he has in spades.

I like Frank. He did a great job this year with a rookie as QB. Someone is going to give him a chance and they are not going to regret it.

Pederson is the QB whisperer (supposedly) and Wentz regressed quite a bit as the year went along. I like him as a prospect but would have preferred the trajectory go in the other direction.

Reich has always been under an offensive minded HC (at least I think). He is like Dennis Thurman as the DC. It's a title but not the same responsibility. I don't know if he's ever been responsible for the offensive side of the ball?

7-9 team interviews coordinator from 7-9 team

Yup and that is a 7-9 team in the first year of coaching team with a Rookie QB and two teams from there division in playoffs. That is a team headed in the correct direction.

Yup and that is a 7-9 team in the first year of coaching team with a Rookie QB and two teams from there division in playoffs. That is a team headed in the correct direction.

Yea... Yea sure. I swear all I heard is the Eagles were only successful b.c of Schwartz.

He isn't tough enough to demand the change needed in this organization. We need someone that is ready again to be HC and has spent time under Belichick.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Eagles learned there lesson with old Chip Kelley. They went back to the basic's of building a staff and in year one with little talent they got to 7-9 with a Rookie QB. If only we could have half that optimism.

Yea... Yea sure. I swear all I heard is the Eagles were only successful b.c of Schwartz.

He isn't tough enough to demand the change needed in this organization. We need someone that is ready again to be HC and has spent time under Belichick.

Anyone coming from the Bellicheet world is not coming to Buffalo due to personnel control that they do not have. Don't waste your life lobbying for something that is never going to happen.

Eagles learned there lesson with old Chip Kelley. They went back to the basic's of building a staff and in year one with little talent they got to 7-9 with a Rookie QB. If only we could have half that optimism.

Anyone coming from the Bellicheet world is not coming to Buffalo due to personnel control that they do not have. Don't waste your life lobbying for something that is never going to happen.

That is like me saying don't waste your time with something that will never work. Yet you made a thread lobbying about it..

So i will make my posts.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Pederson is the QB whisperer (supposedly) and Wentz regressed quite a bit as the year went along. I like him as a prospect but would have preferred the trajectory go in the other direction.

Reich has always been under an offensive minded HC (at least I think). He is like Dennis Thurman as the DC. It's a title but not the same responsibility. I don't know if he's ever been responsible for the offensive side of the ball?

Young QB's, especially rookies are going to be up and down. You can't judge a coach by a rookie starting QB playing well at times early in the season and poorly later in the season.

Young QB's, especially rookies are going to be up and down. You can't judge a coach by a rookie starting QB playing well at times early in the season and poorly later in the season.

I think that's fair. I guess that the point was I'm not sure that we should be chalking up Wentz's rookie year as a success for Frank Reich. As teams adjusted to him the Eagles didn't stay ahead of it. Wentz was okay (and I like him as a prospect).

Yuck, I couldn't have less interest in Reich. He's regressed as a coordinator. I'd probably interview him because people in Buffalo will get that same feeling that the OP got. He shouldn't be seriously considered though as he isn't a good football coach IMO.

Yeah, he's dumb, has no experience studying the game, no passion for the game and is not a leader of men. Good call.

Yeah, he's dumb, has no experience studying the game, no passion for the game and is not a leader of men. Good call.

You quoted me where NONE of that was said. I said that he regressed as a coordinator and has been the OC under offensive head coaches. That negates his experience; it is Dennis Thurman. If you want to respond to what I said we can discuss but don't make stuff up please...

Forget his offenses. I don't want a glorified coordinator. When Frank Reich says this is the way we are going will people follow him?

I am not advocating Reich but that is the only question the Bills should be asking of any candidate this time. Is he a disciplined leader? If not don't even bother with an interview.

he apparently kept Kelly somewhat in line during his party-days. I think people would def listen to Reich.

You quoted me where NONE of that was said. I said that he regressed as a coordinator and has been the OC under offensive head coaches. That negates his experience; it is Dennis Thurman. If you want to respond to what I said we can discuss but don't make stuff up please...

"Yuck" and "He's dumb" implies that he can't stand on his own two feet. I happen to think he was always well prepared as a player and helped Phil Rivers play some great football (despite a ****ty defense). Your initial comments are conclusory unless you happen to know, for a fact, that he is dumb.

Not sure where you get he regressed as a coordinator from?

SD scoring offense fell to 25th his last year there. He doesn't call plays either. He's a coordinator in title (much like Thurman). I'm not sure other than "he was the Bills QB" why he belongs as a candidate? His resume is inferior to the other guys that we are discussing.

"Yuck" and "He's dumb" implies that he can't stand on his own two feet. I happen to think he was always well prepared as a player and helped Phil Rivers play some great football (despite a ****ty defense). Your initial comments are conclusory unless you happen to know, for a fact, that he is dumb.

Will you quote where I said "he's dumb?"

SD scoring offense fell to 25th his last year there. He doesn't call plays either. He's a coordinator in title (much like Thurman). I'm not sure other than "he was the Bills QB" why he belongs as a candidate? His resume is inferior to the other guys that we are discussing.

Will you quote where I said "he's dumb?"

There is no quote for "he's dumb"...you just said he's not a good coach. I guess we should promote David Lee because he's a brilliant coach.

There is no quote for "he's dumb"...you just said he's not a good coach. I guess we should promote David Lee because he's a brilliant coach.

He's not a good coach and he's dumb are two different things. Dick Jauron went to Yale.

No, I wouldn't hire Lee, he's a bad football coach. I would hire someone that has proven to be a good coach. It's not that complicated.

Yuck, I couldn't have less interest in Reich. He's regressed as a coordinator. I'd probably interview him because people in Buffalo will get that same feeling that the OP got. He shouldn't be seriously considered though as he isn't a good football coach IMO.

Kirby, he's doing wonders with a rookie QB from a FCS school. His offenses in SD regressed due to injuries to Gates, and their star receiver. Also, Melvin Gordon was early in his career. Like earlier poster said he has character, leadership, and smarts.

Kirby, he's doing wonders with a rookie QB from a FCS school. His offenses in SD regressed due to injuries to Gates, and their star receiver. Also, Melvin Gordon was early in his career. Like earlier poster said he has character, leadership, and smarts.

I wouldn't call it wonders. Pederson does the majority of the work and over the last 2.5 months Wentz has gotten figured out a little (and I like him). He wasn't Dak. He had a decent rookie year.

There are a lot of guys with character, leadership and smarts that also have a superior resume. The resume is most important to me.

He's not a good coach and he's dumb are two different things. Dick Jauron went to Yale.

No, I wouldn't hire Lee, he's a bad football coach. I would hire someone that has proven to be a good coach. It's not that complicated.

What has Adam Gase done previous to the Dolphins hiring him that made him a good coach? Is Ron Rivera not good anymore because his team went from Super Bowl to lottery? Reich could surround himself with knowledgeable coordinators. I want my HC to be knowledgeable in game time situations, organized, hold players and coaches accountable. Reich seems to be in that mold

Bellichick was not a good coach in Cleveland. If anything, given our lack of QB development in 16 years, would it not make sense to have a coach who not only PLAYED in Buffalo but also PLAYED QB?? Maybe that's what Tyrod needs. But nooooo, Reich happens to be a nice guy, well versed in QB play and has experience leading players to success. Whether it's a young QB or others in a wild card game, at least he can organize a team and keep 11 players on the field.

What has Adam Gase done previous to the Dolphins hiring him that made him a good coach? Is Ron Rivera not good anymore because his team went from Super Bowl to lottery? Reich could surround himself with knowledgeable coordinators. I want my HC to be knowledgeable in game time situations, organized, hold players and coaches accountable. Reich seems to be in that mold

Adam Gase was a hot candidate for a while (working with Peyton). He was hired immediately. There are coordinators that football people universally respect more than Reich (Shanahan, McDaniels, Patricia, even Lynn). There is no way to know who will end up the best but there is a reason those guys have so much interest. Reich may not be horrible but I see nothing other than "he played for the Bills" to have him above any of those guys. That's the point.

Adam Gase was a hot candidate for a while (working with Peyton). He was hired immediately. There are coordinators that football people universally respect more than Reich (Shanahan, McDaniels, Patricia, even Lynn). There is no way to know who will end up the best but there is a reason those guys have so much interest. Reich may not be horrible but I see nothing other than "he played for the Bills" to have him above any of those guys. That's the point.

McDaniels was a failure already in Denver now he's a hot commodity again? We all have our own opinions, but I'd like the Bills to give Reich a look.

Your argument relies strictly on numbers and rankings. Take Gus Bradley (for example). He's a guy that wants to hitch his wagon to A. Lynn but, honestly, what have either of them done? Very little. Bradley had a defense that was mediocre to great in Seattle (and is still good in Seattle) to poor in Jax. And A. Lynn has been a great running backs coach. So Reich doesn't belong in a group of possible candidates??? You have some axe to grind.

Your argument relies strictly on numbers and rankings. Take Gus Bradley (for example). He's a guy that wants to hitch his wagon to A. Lynn but, honestly, what have either of them done? Very little. Bradley had a defense that was mediocre to great in Seattle (and is still good in Seattle) to poor in Jax. And A. Lynn has been a great running backs coach. So Reich doesn't belong in a group of possible candidates??? You have some axe to grind.

Not at all

Tell me what team besides the Bills has expressed an interest in Reich? I haven't seen one. I don't love Lynn either, but I like the Lynn - Bradley combination. I like McDaniels then Coughlin and I'd love Dabo (but not sure that realistic). He'd be my pie in the sky option.

I like guys who have an identity. I just don't know how you hire an OC that doesn't call plays as a HC. He is a good leader I believe but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's a good football coach. If he weren't a Bills QB everyone would hate this interview. Has he accomplished what Shanahan or McDermott has for example? The answer is no. Does that mean that he will be worse of course not. I just don't know why you'd hire the guy that's done less.

The league isn't viewing Reich as a HC candidate. The Bills are. Those other guys are being looked at for every job. If Reich didn't play for the Bills would he still be considered?

I look at it this way. Right know when you mention Frank Reich to me I immediately think comeback game. The td to reed sliding across the endzone. Im sure most of you do too. Frank is a super hero. Please Buffalo, dont change that memory. I dont need the first thing I think of when you mention frank reich to be some stupid decision to punt in a game that costs the playoffs. Cause you know thats what will happen

Not at all

Tell me what team besides the Bills has expressed an interest in Reich? I haven't seen one. I don't love Lynn either, but I like the Lynn - Bradley combination. I like McDaniels then Coughlin and I'd love Dabo (but not sure that realistic). He'd be my pie in the sky option.

I like guys who have an identity. I just don't know how you hire an OC that doesn't call plays as a HC. He is a good leader I believe but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's a good football coach. If he weren't a Bills QB everyone would hate this interview. Has he accomplished what Shanahan or McDermott has for example? The answer is no. Does that mean that he will be worse of course not. I just don't know why you'd hire the guy that's done less.

The league isn't viewing Reich as a HC candidate. The Bills are. Those other guys are being looked at for every job. If Reich didn't play for the Bills would he still be considered?

But to be fair John Harbaugh was a Special Teams Coordinator. He's done fairly well.