This quote is precisely why Rex failed as a HC...

eball

From Corey White yesterday:

“If there’s any coach you want to play for,” White said, “it’s Rex. He’s going to have your back in any circumstance. He’s not going to sell you out, he’s not going to bring your name to the media saying, 'this person’s bad.' He’s going to have your back 100 percent.”

This is what I've been saying for weeks now. Of course players love Rex, because he doesn't hold them accountable. He won't make the necessary disciplinary decisions that hold players' feet to the fire. Example A was Mario not being benched last year. There are numerous others.

You combine a lack of attention to detail with an inability to enforce how you want things to be run, and you get a .500 team that plays a completely inconsistent brand of football despite having playoff-calibre talent.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that players love Rex. If your boss never demanded that you perform, you'd love him too.

So glad to see him gone. I just want accountability. Dare I say I miss Marrone? Nah, can't say it. He had the accountability stuff down, but he had no innovation to go along with it. I'm curious about Anthony Lynn. I think being here first hand and seeing why Rex failed will help him.

Edited by eball

You can have the hard ass like Marrone or the lovable buffoon like Rex, but you can't have both.

Look at Belichek.. he's no lovable buffoon.. but Pats fans don't seem to mind. Doug was run outta town based on his dry personality. Now Rex is too. When will it end?

Ehh, I hear ya, but White is talking more about in public. And good leaders praise in public and punish in private. He may make excuses for certain players in the media, but we dont know what is actually said to that player behind closed doors. Watching his various takes on Hard Knocks, it seemed he had no problem holding players accountable to those that mattered (fellow coaches and players).

For me, the quote that killed Rex was from after the Pittsburgh game when he said they were running Defensive plays that they hadnt even practiced (whether it was they didnt practice them that week, or ever, doesnt matter to me). It shows that he was unprepared, outcoached, and had a bad game plan.

I have learned just as much from unsuccessful leaders as I have from successful ones. It is less painful to learn from the mistakes of others, than from yours.

This.

I don't know if a "players' coach" means he just doesn't hold his players accountable, but I certainly feel that players are comfortable around the coach. To me, a successful coach has the right balance of being someone the players are comfortable with yet someone that can discipline or keep everyone in line.

I don't think we've ever heard people say that Bill Belichick, Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Nick Saban, or Urban Meyer are/were "players' coaches" - those are coaches whose teams have been (or were) continually successful and every one of those men struck me as a disciplinarian of sorts. At the same time, I can see that if you're on the same page with that type of coach, you can be comfortable playing for him.

Rex just didn't have that swagger and respect that the coaches I referred to had/have. If you made a mistake, I don't know if Rex disciplined you...but he certainly took the blame.

Edited by BuffaloWings

There have been players' coaches that have had success, but you've got a point about Rex not holding his players accountable and failing to instill the necessary discipline in them. Belichick has his players' backs 100% and he treats them all the same. As long as they follow his rules and do their jobs, he takes care of them. If they get out of line or put themselves above the team, he puts them in line or sends them on their way. Rex just let the players do as they pleased - including actions that hurt the team - with no repercussions.

Edited by BarleyNY

You can have the hard ass like Marrone or the lovable buffoon like Rex, but you can't have both.

Look at Belichek.. he's no lovable buffoon.. but Pats fans don't seem to mind. Doug was run outta town based on his dry personality. Now Rex is too. When will it end?

Doug was not run outta town. He opted out of his contract allegedly after making a play for more power. It was his choice enable md by an unusual contract clause Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

Rex was fired because of his embarrassing inattention to detail and the absolute failings of his defense. It's funny to listen to national sports talk and they still talk about what a great Defensive coach he is and some team will be lucky to get him as their defensive coordinator. Talk about a lack of awareness of the situation here... Rex and Rob's defense was abysmal. It cannot get much worse.

“If there’s any coach you want to play for,” White said, “it’s Rex. He’s going to have your back in any circumstance. He’s not going to sell you out, he’s not going to bring your name to the media saying, 'this person’s bad.' He’s going to have your back 100 percent.”

This is what I've been saying for weeks now. Of course players love Rex, because he doesn't hold them accountable. He won't make the necessary disciplinary decisions that hold players' feet to the fire. Example A was Mario not being benched last year. There are numerous others.

You combine a lack of attention to detail with an inability to enforce how you want things to be run, and you get a .500 team that plays a completely inconsistent brand of football despite having playoff-calibre talent.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that players love Rex. If your boss never demanded that you perform, you'd love him too.

So glad to see him gone. I just want accountability. Dare I say I miss Marrone? Nah, can't say it. He had the accountability stuff down, but he had no innovation to go along with it. I'm curious about Anthony Lynn. I think being here first hand and seeing why Rex failed will help him.

I'll say it. I hated when he quit and I think he would have had us in the playoffs by now. Innovation is for the OC and DC, HC needs to be in charge of accountability along with discipline (non-existent here), game management (non-existent here), and a general awareness of what is going on during the game (non-existent here). Sure, Hackett was a Hack and Marrone made some questionable 4th down decisions, but Hackett could have been replaced and Marrone could have learned from those mistakes.

They were run out of town because they didn't win enough football games. Personality is just the costume on the donkey.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Doug's version of accountability was to hold grudges. That's too far in the opposite direction. Most guys in any organization just want to know the expectations and limits. You don't need to make a show of it.

Not hanging the players out to dry in the press is the sign of a good coach, not a bad one. Doesn't mean he wasn't holding the players accountable privately. In Rex's case however I suspect he wasn't in private either, but my point is a good coach doesn't air their grievances with players in the press, only petty ones trying to save their asses do.

Edited by CodeMonkey

When the Bills hired Rex they got the authentic Rex. Discipline and attention to detail were never words associated with a Rex coached team. So what is surprising about how this story played out?

Is Marrone a better coach than Rex? I would say so. But that isn't much of a compliment. He certainly is more of a disciplinarian than the lenient Rex. Marrone wouldn't have tolereated Mario's insubordination and his quitting on the field. If the stubborn Mario would have behaved in the same seditious manner he wouldn't have been dressed or even on a bench under Marrone.

In my condemnation of RR I don't want to get carried away and glorify Marrone. He had an unappealing authoritarian and rigid style that usually has a short life's span in any organization in any field of endeavor. If you can't professionally interact with people above and below you you will end up losing the support of your cohorts (above and below) and ultimately sabotage yourself in the workplace.

The worst mistake that the GM can make is rush to judgment in hiring a new HC. It seems to me that is what happened with the two previous coaching hires. If Lynn is quickly hired without examining the other potential candidates it would be a mistake. There are no guarantees but your chances of success increase when the process is more thoughtful and comprehensive.