12-28: Media Day - Anthony Lynn's Presser as HC

26CornerBlitz

Here Pete

For the agent who wanted to put a big fake number out as a promotional tool, the game got harder. Enter the use of guaranteed money that wasnt really guaranteed, at least in the sense that the term of art had developed within the NFL language.

A major part of it is this guaranteed for injury thing that has developed in recent years. If you havent got your health, then you havent got anything, except maybe a paycheck in the event you sign one of these deals and are really, really injured.

But reporting that player X is guaranteed to get a certain amount (when its guaranteed for injury only) would be like me reporting that I am guaranteed to make $5 million this year, when those guarantees are only conditioned on bad things like being the beneficiary of a life insurance policy kicking in. I mean, I guess you could come up with some twisted logic to say that I am also technically correct, but it certainly wouldnt be a very truthful statement based on our common understanding of how the term has been used.

https://www.google.com/amp/thebiglead.com/2015/05/19/guaranteed-money-in-nfl-reporting-doesnt-mean-what-it-used-to-mean/amp/?client=safari

All have it. So not crippling like you want to make out. And absolutely made the right choice protecting against INJ Sunday

Dont let that stop your flames though.

And we still were as of Saturday did Rex fire Lynn. Nope Lynn was part of the Family. Roman was not.

Keep trying though

Another

However, what is often called guaranteed is often not as wonderful as it sounds. Often, the guaranteed money is guaranteed for injury only, meaning that if the player is hurt, he cannot be released, but can be released for any other reason.

http://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/

So still crippling and whaley is an idiot? On this clause anyway?

Crippling enough that the GM and ownership are not letting the former HC or current HC play TT this week for fear of him getting hurt and being on the hook.

When Roman was fired it came as a shock to all of us. Why? Because Rex did not undermine his position with the team by leaking to the media etc. He also is not trying to claim that he did not hire Roman or approve of hiring him after stating that they completed each other's sentences.

Edited by Peter

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crippling enough that the GM and ownership are not letting the former HC or current HC play TT this week for fear of him getting hurt and being on the hook.

When Roman was fired it came as a shock to all of us. Why? Because Rex did not undermine his position with the team by leaking to the media etc. He also is not trying to claim that he did not hire Roman or approve of hiring him stating that they completed each other's sentences.

Ok i really am done. You still want to slam a FO for doing something every freaking NFL Teams does.

And then did the right thing they didnt want to be Kaepernicked

Anyone want to tag in my head hurts

Edited by MAJBobby

Ok i really am done. You still want to slam a FO for doing something every freaking NFL Teams does.

As a side note:

1) it is going to be interesting to see how the rest of the players approach this game given that the starting QB has been pulled for non football reasons. Will they put in little to no effort? Will certain players find a way not to play the game or treat it like a preseason game and do everything possible to not get hurt.

2) I feel sorry for EJ. He may be the only one putting in 100% effort and may end up getting killed.

As a side note:

1) it is going to be interesting to see how the rest of the players approach this game given that the starting QB has been pulled for non football reasons. Will they put in little to no effort? Will certain players find a way not to play the game or treat it like a preseason game and do everything possible to not get hurt.

2) I feel sorry for EJ. He may be the only one putting in 100% effort and may end up getting killed.

On this who really cares forfeit the thing for all i care it's meaningless. Get the better pick.

I mean it EJ vs Fitz for !@#$s sake

Edited by MAJBobby

On this who really cares forfeit the thing for all i care it's meaningless. Get the better pick.

I mean it EJ vs Fitz for !@#$s sake

The only people who really care may be EJ and AL. Beyond that, I do not know.

If Gilmore is out of concussion protocol, I expect him to give even less effort than he did on some of those plays this past week.

The only people who really care may be EJ and AL. Beyond that, I do not know.

If Gilmore is out of concussion protocol, I expect him to give even less effort than he did on some of those plays this past week.

Any player with a ding should not step on the field.

That includes Sammy I dont think this game means a dang think to Lynn for the permanent job. I am sure he would love to win though.

But the jets quit years ago. Think Bills Browns 6-3 game EXCITEMENT coming.

Edited by MAJBobby

If you think ARod was beloved for over a decade in NY you clearly know nothing about the situation. He came into 2015 absolutely hated but fans warmed up to him because he was playing at a near MVP level. At the end they just felt sorry for him.

Bottom line........Yanks didn't hide from the day when it came. Bills did. Nothing new. I'm not usually the one saying THIS.......but the Bills are amateur hour. They really are. It just is what it is.

I know the history. So what you're saying is this is another in an endless series of reasons why it's not at all just like Rex. ;)

Yeah you guys are being idiots with this minutia. ARod hit about .100 over the last half of 2015 after a tremendous first half and the Yankees were desperately hoping for him to return to form in 2016.........because they were on a mandate to not spend as they have been trying desperately to get below the luxury tax threshold to reset their tax rate......and the contract was guaranteed so they had zero reason or motivation to cut him. The Bills were also desperately hoping Rex would return to form. But I guess the Pegula's weren't thinking about life sans Rex after 2015. Nope. Never occurred to them back then that this might happen. :doh::lol:

This ^^^.

Does your PR firm pay you by the post or hour for defending the FO?

I know the history. So what you're saying is this is another in an endless series of reasons why it's not at all just like Rex. ;)

I honestly don't think you do. The reason the cut happened when it happened was because the yankees were desperately hoping he'd return to his april-mid-august 2015 form and april 2016 form, when he was hitting homers at a higher rate than anyone on the team (iirc). He got hurt with a hamstring and simply sucked when he returned. More importsntly, the yankees figured they had no chance to make the playoffs by early august and went with a youth movement. A-rod was widely hated until 2015, when he came back and played quite well for 4+ months and generated a degree of sympathy.

Anyway, as with just about all of these sorts of situations with the Yankees, Cash didn't hide. Say what you will about him, but that's how he rolls. He is not afraid of the media.

@viccarucci

Anthony Lynn, 'stickler for details,' makes favorable first impression as #Bills' interim coach. NEW at [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/shXvvBCZFu

Lynn checks off all the boxes for me. Nearly two decades of NFL coaching experience. He was put in stressful situations this season and met the challenge. His units have not only performed but have been among the best in the NFL last season with the rushing game and this season with the entire offense. Players apparently respect him. They know him. They perform.

If Lynn was on another team we would be drooling over him more probably. There are always questions about coordinators who havent been HC's but no coordinator is more deserving right now imo. Bring in a DC like Gus Bradley and lets make the playoffs next season.

Lynn and Bradley would make this team instantly better this very moment.

Lynn checks off all the boxes for me. Nearly two decades of NFL coaching experience. He was put in stressful situations this season and met the challenge. His units have not only performed but have been among the best in the NFL last season with the rushing game and this season with the entire offense. Players apparently respect him. They know him. They perform.

If Lynn was on another team we would be drooling over him more probably. There are always questions about coordinators who havent been HC's but no coordinator is more deserving right now imo. Bring in a DC like Gus Bradley and lets make the playoffs next season.

Lynn and Bradley would make this team instantly better this very moment.

+1

I have a good feeling about Lynn. Not that it means anything (my gut feeling) but I think that paired with good coordinators (we know Pegs will pay for them) and a good QB I really see potential with this team. The QB part is the hardest but I don't see any HC succeeding without one.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I have a good feeling about Lynn. Not that it means anything (my gut feeling) but I think that paired with good coordinators (we know Pegs will pay for them) and a good QB I really see potential with this team. The QB part is the hardest but I don't see any HC succeeding without one.

If Lynn is the guy - you can bet money that they pick up the option on Tyrod's contract. And that means Lynn will either sink or swim as a head coach based on whether Tyrod succeeds or not (for the most part.)

If it is some other coach who wants a pass happy offense, then they may end up cutting Tyrod and drafting another QB and starting all over from scratch again. - a.k.a. - another rebuild and 3 more years of likely suckitude. and a mostly different team of players by the time they reach the playoffs.

Whaley's best shot at keeping a job long term is to sign Lynn and hope things workout with him. Otherwise he will be gambling on a (probably) completely different style of coach to implement a new system and get to the playoffs within 2 years.

Edited by PolishDave

If Lynn is the guy - you can bet money that they pick up the option on Tyrod's contract. And that means Lynn will either sink or swim as a head coach based on whether Tyrod succeeds or not (for the most part.)

If it is some other coach who wants a pass happy offense, then they may end up cutting Tyrod and drafting another QB and starting all over from scratch again. - a.k.a. - another rebuild and 3 more years of likely suckitude. and a mostly different team of players by the time they reach the playoffs.

the rumor (or at least what Sal reported on radio this week) is that the Pegulas are not planning on a rebuild. So I'd guess it is TT, Cardale plus a vet FA or another drafted QB. Getting rid of TT without another immediate starting option at QB screams rebuild. Only other QB option would be to trade for Jimmy G or Romo or another starting caliber QB.

Whaley's best shot at keeping a job long term is to sign Lynn and hope things workout with him. Otherwise he will be gambling on a (probably) completely different style of coach to implement a new system and get to the playoffs within 2 years.

I'd be fine with them picking up the option on TT and keeping promoting Lynn. Taylor's contract is not out of the ordinary. He never counts more than $17mil a year against the cap. I agree with you, that we just need to stick to what we have and build off of that.

the rumor (or at least what Sal reported on radio this week) is that the Pegulas are not planning on a rebuild. So I'd guess it is TT, Cardale plus a vet FA or another drafted QB. Getting rid of TT without another immediate starting option at QB screams rebuild. Only other QB option would be to trade for Jimmy G or Romo or another starting caliber QB.

True. But I really doubt Jimmy G. Even though he looked okay in a couple games, he is not a proven commodity. And certainly would not be a guaranteed upgrade over Tyrod. In fact, it could end up being as big of debacle as bringing in somebody like Kolb was. People regard him higher than he (probably) deserves simply because he is a backup on "The Patriots". And Patriots poop doesn't stink so I am told.

And Romo or Cutler or ? - Any other available vet QB besides Rivers would be a mistake in my opinion. Now if you could get Rivers and you wanted to rebuild around him - I'm down with that. But it would have to be somebody that good. If you tried to do it around a rookie - waaaaay to big of a gamble on whether they would be good or not. Way safer bet with TT.

Any player with a ding should not step on the field.

That includes Sammy I dont think this game means a dang think to Lynn for the permanent job. I am sure he would love to win though.

But the jets quit years ago. Think Bills Browns 6-3 game EXtoCITEMENT coming.

I think both QBs will be throwing the ball around - Fitz and EJ want to showcase whatever they can (assuming the play calling is in line with a passing day), it'll be more of pro bowl game with little defense. I got screwed in fantasy football (my QBs were Carr and Mariota)....I'm in first place, championship game. Why we're playing the championship game in week 17, I have no idea. There's not much available for a week 17 QB pickup. Thus, EJ it is. I now have a vested interest in the game. I'm hoping for a good performance from EJ and no injuries.

Romo will be 37 when next season starts and I'm terrified of trading for Jimmy G. How have trades for Brady backups worked out?

I'd be fine with them picking up the option on TT and keeping promoting Lynn. Taylor's contract is not out of the ordinary. He never counts more than $17mil a year against the cap. I agree with you, that we just need to stick to what we have and build off of that.

I'm not 100% all in on promoting Lynn and sticking with Tyrod. I don't know what we are going to get with Lynn. I like his character (for what limited amount I have seen from him). I like that he found success running Roman's offense.

But nobody knows how good this offense would have been if Lynn had been the one to design it. Very small chance it would have been more productive than what Roman designed in my opinion. Likely it would have involved at least a little more passing - which I am all for. But who knows. It might have looked as bad as Nate Hackett's offense. We don't know. That gives me hesitation about Lynn. Nobody knows with him. It is a total guess.

Plus, if it is him, what coordinators can he get to come here that are proven? I don't know. If Lynn gets the job, I don't doubt that we are going to have 2 somewhat inexperienced coordinators. Wish I knew who he was thinking about. And I don't want 2 inexperienced coordinators along with a first time head coach trying to figure things out for their first times here. That will get you a string of (just out of the playoffs again) seasons that end in the firing of everybody including Whaley and a complete rebuild starting 3 years from now. - No thanks.

I would rather if we got an experienced coach who said we are going to fix the putrid defense by going back to what they are good at and we are going to build on the offense by maintaining a strong running game but with more emphasis being placed on the passing game, especially the deep passing game.

Then I would be like :wub:

And if he brought in 2 proven coordinators I would then be like :worthy:

Show me the MONEEEEEY!!