Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

This right here is the problem. How can your GM make 'recommendations' on a HC? He's the one that should be ultimately accountable for the football operations of the team. This should have been his hire. That it wasn't is a serious problem with how the front office operates. Is Russ up to his old tricks?

If this is true, then I think it's clear that Russ really did push Rex... and it should be Russ that gets sent packing.

They are maybe following the Packers' model where the team President doesn't get in the way of the football department's operations that include coach and player acquisition. Russ should stay in his business and marketing lane where he has actual expertise.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@viccarucci

My #Bills Wake-Up Call: Don't expect a thorough 'search' for new HC. NEW at [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/8FEAhEu2mK

Don't get the point Vic is trying to make here. The structure he's criticizing is pretty much every team in the AFC North and many other notable franchises including the Packers. Let Whaley pick his coach and run football operations. If it doesn't work out then he moves on...

This right here is the problem. How can your GM make 'recommendations' on a HC? He's the one that should be ultimately accountable for the football operations of the team. This should have been his hire. That it wasn't is a serious problem with how the front office operates. Is Russ up to his old tricks?

If this is true, then I think it's clear that Russ really did push Rex... and it should be Russ that gets sent packing.

Sounds like what we've known all along:

Doug had someone else ahead of Rex, but the Pegulas wanted Rex.

@PatKirwanRFN

Pegula’s are trying to put own stamp on the Bills but the org's instability could give coaching candidates pause: http://goo.gl/su1haI

C0xJX-DXAAERhnl.jpg

Kirwan's conclusion is obvious. The move will not be received well by potential candidates:

"But the Bills are not a stable situation, and as eager as they are to get it right, moves like this, added to an already unstable franchise, could give potential coaching candidates pause before considering a move to western New York."

i think it was probably because the Pegulas had only owned the team, and worked with Whaley,for less than 3 months before Marrone quit. They were not expecting to do an HC search and doubt they were prepared to say Whaley should take the reigns.

Kirwan's conclusion is obvious. The move will not be received well by potential candidates:

"But the Bills are not a stable situation, and as eager as they are to get it right, moves like this, added to an already unstable franchise, could give potential coaching candidates pause before considering a move to western New York."

That is one big blanket statement. Unstable? Are they going somewhere? Is the ownership about to change?

That is one big blanket statement. Unstable? Are they going somewhere? Is the ownership about to change?

Agreed. If anything, the next head coach has great opportunity to be the glue that keeps things stable around here for a long time. There isn't going to be a great opportunity for coaches seeking head jobs this offseason.

Whaley gets his 1st HC choice in 4 years like many have been saying.

President Russ picked Marrone

Russ (guy that helped new ownership through sale) made his recommended choice when New Ownership was left in a lurch by Marrone, Before new ownership built a relationship with Whaley.

Now new ownership is doing what all teams do allowing the GM to make his choice.

About time now if it fails Buh Bye Whaley

Edited by MAJBobby

Pretty weak article by Kirwan. His evidence for instability is Bills have changed coaches a lot, most of that during the end of the Ralph Wilson era. New flash, so did the Dolphins and they had plenty of candidates and found someone last year.

I don't believe that Buffalo is unattractive for coaches but even if it was, good. Don't want some has been or someone who the game has passed by.

The idea that Doug Whaley was not all in on the Rex hire is revisionist history by some (including Whaley and his people). Nice try Brutus, oops, I mean St. Doug Whaley.

This is from the Buffalo Bills website after the hire in which tWhaley went on about he and Rex could "complete" each other's sentences :

Nevertheless Whaley was taken by how parallel Ryan’s approach to winning in the NFL was to his own principles of developing a perennial contender.

“For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built,” said Whaley. “It’s proven. This past postseason everybody was talking about the conference championship games and the four quarterbacks in there were unbelievable quarterbacks, but the common theme in both of those games was the running game. A running game and a defense is a quarterback’s best friend. And those types of teams consistently compete for championships.

“I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.”

Not long after the interview with Ryan had concluded the Pegulas along with Brandon and Whaley had reached a consensus rather quickly.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/How-the-Bills-decided-on-Rex-Ryan-as-head-coach/aa1cc736-b6c4-4af7-bfe9-4aba573bf0fd

Lazy

Cause you know all organizations that fire their HC are stable BUT Buffalo lol

Just recycling writing from when it truly was unstable with no clear ownership succession, stadium and move possible.

This is the most "Stable" the Bills have been in years.

Jesus sports writing really has fell off a cliff

Edited by MAJBobby

The idea that Doug Whaley was not all in on the Rex hire is revisionist history by some (including Whaley and his people). Nice try Brutus, oops, I mean St. Doug Whaley.

This is from the Buffalo Bills website after the hire in which tWhaley went on about he and Rex could "complete" each other's sentences :

Nevertheless Whaley was taken by how parallel Ryan’s approach to winning in the NFL was to his own principles of developing a perennial contender.

“For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built,” said Whaley. “It’s proven. This past postseason everybody was talking about the conference championship games and the four quarterbacks in there were unbelievable quarterbacks, but the common theme in both of those games was the running game. A running game and a defense is a quarterback’s best friend. And those types of teams consistently compete for championships.

“I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.”

Not long after the interview with Ryan had concluded the Pegulas along with Brandon and Whaley had reached a consensus rather quickly.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/How-the-Bills-decided-on-Rex-Ryan-as-head-coach/aa1cc736-b6c4-4af7-bfe9-4aba573bf0fd

They should have instead put out release stating "Bills' GM Doug Whaley favored another candidate be hired as HC, but will do his best to make things work". :thumbsup:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

More like pushed out by Brandon in order to assume his dual role of Team President for both franchises.

Yeah because you know Brandon is a Sith in full control of the mind control powers of the Force.

Nevertheless Whaley was taken by how parallel Ryans approach to winning in the NFL was to his own principles of developing a perennial contender.

For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built, said Whaley. Its proven. This past postseason everybody was talking about the conference championship games and the four quarterbacks in there were unbelievable quarterbacks, but the common theme in both of those games was the running game. A running game and a defense is a quarterbacks best friend. And those types of teams consistently compete for championships.

I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.

Ooo a PR puff piece AFTER a hire to show a united FO wow never happens elsewhere lol

Lazy

Just recycling writing from when it truly was unstable with no clear ownership succession, stadium and move possible.

Agree. Piling on to the Bills is utterly lazy. And this is just 2 days in... Allow a few weeks to go by without proclaiming to be a dumpster fire

Lazy

He is just the latest to conclude this.

It is not a good look - firing a guy less than two years with leaks swirling moments before biggest game of year. If you are a worthwhile and in demand HC candidate, why would you choose this situation over another where the prior guy got less than two years, presumably was undermined by the GM with ownership and (I think) damaging leaks to the media, and the depth of injuries, suspensions, and a bottom half QB.

Not a great situation.

Agree. Piling on to the Bills is utterly lazy. And this is just 2 days in... Allow a few weeks to go by without proclaiming to be a dumpster fire

Have an actual candidate turn down an interview before talking about how this opening gives candidates pause lol

The should have instead put out release stating "Bills' GM Doug Whaley favored another candidate be hired as HC, but will do his best to make things work". :thumbsup:

Was it Jerry McGuire when Rene Zelwegger "completed" Tom Cruise? Apparently, back then, Rex Ryan completed Doug Whaley.

That's not saying much, it's like saying a family making one dollar above the poverty line is doing better. This franchise is a mess. A fanboy owner with zero experience in sports allowing a guy who calls himself a scout to run basically the entire football operation and while still, apparently, listening to a marketer have his say on football decisions.

Drain the Cap. Get rid of all the hangers on who hang around and overseen this mess. How could they do worse than getting rid of Whaley, Brandon, Overdorf and all the others. Serious question. How could it be worse? They're like a company teetering on bankruptcy that just won't file for it, instead trying to solve the problem with the same management.

Lynn will be another in the line of mediocre coaches. A guy who's coaching career up until this year never amounted to anything more than basically a RB coach?

As was stated in some article this morning, a legit coach wants control and that's not possible here given the GM control, so they'll settle. They're settlers.

directv-settlers-hed-2015.png