Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the answers:

1. Because he has been bad and wasted the talent.

2. Because they were not the ones going to prevent defense halfway through the third quarter in Oakland or trying to stop the best running back in the league with 7 man spacing or punting with the season on the line or not calling time outs in time or not getting 11 men on the field.

There was just so much that can be put directly on a failure of coaching.

If the equivalent of guys like you had gotten their way, Sir Alex would have lost his job after the first few years. (No, I am not saying Rex is Sir Alex)

As much as you try, Rex will always have the winningest record as a Bills HC for the past 17 years with the injuries and without an elite QB. We should now judge Doug Whaley with the same latitude (none) as we (collectively and as the team) did with Rex.

Not really.

Who times a leak to come out minutes before the Pittsburgh game other than someone who is trying to further an agenda.

Who kept his job?

Who is going to lead the HC search?

So are you saying that Rex is a good coach but was submarined by Whaley and Brandon?

Not really.

Who times a leak to come out minutes before the Pittsburgh game other than someone who is trying to further an agenda.

Who kept his job?

Who is going to lead the HC search?

Whose fault is it that the defense gave up 200 yards rushing three times to an opposing RB?

Not the person largely responsible for those 4 losses.

Keep in mind that notwithstanding all the crap surrounding this team, in Rex's last game, we lost in OT by just 3 points to a very good team after fighting back from a deficit.

Rex never lost the team.

And, oh by the way, Rex was the one who promoted Lynn after two games despite all of the initial negativity and questioning surrounding the move.

If the equivalent of guys like you had gotten their way, Sir Alex would have lost his job after the first few years. (No, I am not saying Rex is Sir Alex)

As much as you try, Rex will always have the winningest record as a Bills HC for the past 17 years with the injuries and without an elite QB. We should now judge Doug Whaley with the same latitude (none) as we (collectively and as the team) did with Rex.

Sorry, Peter. That's nuts. The reason the Bills have the "best record in 17 years" is not due to Rex. It's the talent he had on this team. (Talent Whaley collected.) It's like saying Rex built a $10 million dollar company, but leaving out he started with $30 million. With this roster the Bills should have been an 11-win team.

Keep in mind that notwithstanding all the crap surrounding this team, in Rex's last game, we lost in OT by just 3 points to a very good team after fighting back from a deficit.

Rex never lost the team.

And, oh by the way, Rex was the one who promoted Lynn after two games despite all of the initial negativity and questioning surrounding the move.

You're losing me.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So are you saying that Rex is a good coach but was submarined by Whaley and Brandon?

I am saying that Rex was the best coach that we have had for the past 17 years despite the depth of injuries, suspensions, and lack of a top half passing game.

He deserved more time than less than two years.

He deserved more than leaks minutes before a huge game against Pittsburgh completely undermining his position as HC.

I honestly believe (and realize I may be in minority of those who actively post here) but I believe that, if he had a fair amount of time, he could have been a very successful coach for the Bills for a long time.

No you keep making this mistake. You keep thinking I am a hire 'em and fire 'em addict. I am not. I wanted to give Gailey a 4th year and I didn't want Marrone to go.

This is purely and very specifically about the coaching abilities or lack thereof of Rex Ryan. Sir Alex Ferguson got backed at Manchester United because there was a discernable plan. He inherited a team some thought ready to win and was a runner up his first year but the team was old so he ripped it up and began a full rebuild.

Rex Ryan didn't have that level of immediate success and he has been totally unable to deliver on the vision he claims to have for this team. He wanted to build a bully. Three 200 yard rushers against his bullies in a year. After the first Miami game everyone said "that was because Dareus didn't play." It wasn't. It was on some pretty shoddy coaching both in scheme and fundamentals.

I generally favour continuity but not with Rex. He is a bad coach. Pure and simple.

Sorry, Peter. That's nuts. The reason the Bills have the "best record in 17 years" is not due to Rex. It's the talent he had on this team. (Talent Whaley collected.) It's like saying Rex built a $10 million dollar company, but leaving out he started with $30 million. With this roster the Bills should have been an 11-win team.

You're losing me.

How much talent do we really have? (Have you seen some of the tackling?)

How much talent was available to play given injuries and suspensions?

What does it say about the talent of your QB when more than one opposing team says that their strategy was to make TT have to be a QB. Ugh.

I respect your opinion. You are not part of the pitchfork crowd. We just disagree.

No you keep making this mistake. You keep thinking I am a hire 'em and fire 'em addict. I am not. I wanted to give Gailey a 4th year and I didn't want Marrone to go.

This is purely and very specifically about the coaching abilities or lack thereof of Rex Ryan. Sir Alex Ferguson got backed at Manchester United because there was a discernable plan. He inherited a team some thought ready to win and was a runner up his first year but the team was old so he ripped it up and began a full rebuild.

Rex Ryan didn't have that level of immediate success and he has been totally unable to deliver on the vision he claims to have for this team. He wanted to build a bully. Three 200 yard rushers against his bullies in a year. After the first Miami game everyone said "that was because Dareus didn't play." It wasn't. It was on some pretty shoddy coaching both in scheme and fundamentals.

I generally favour continuity but not with Rex. He is a bad coach. Pure and simple.

How many TDs were directly caused by the failure to tackle by Bills defenders? This is not a scheme issue.

How many TDs were taken away from the Bills because of the failure to call obvious pass interference?

The game should not even have gone to OT given the above.

Edited by Peter

So Rex had the best record of any Bills head coach in the last 17 years. That should be good enough. You know, for the Bills. Sorry, but that cannot be enough. Rex lost the team, at least the defense. Sure looked like some half hearted effort out there by many. You can't replace all those players. His system is a relic.

How much talent do we really have?

How much talent was available to play given injuries and suspensions?

What does it say about the talent of your QB when more than one opposing teams says that their strategy was to make TT have to be a QB. Ugh.

I respect your opinion. You are not part of the pitchfork crowd. We just disagree.

Where's the talent?

1) McCoy

2) Watkins (when healthy)

3) Incognito

4) Gillislee

5) Clay

On D

1) LorAx (4th in sacks)

2) Zach Brown (3rd in tackles)

3) Preston Brown (10th in tackles)

Plus all the guys that were here before Whaley came on board. This team is has enough talent to win 11 games. Injuries? Most were on the offense, and they still scored almost 400 points.

Maybe Whaley did torpedo Rex. But you know what? I'm glad he did, because hiring Rex was a blunder.

Here is what OverTheCap says about the Bills Job.

As for the Bills and where they go next it would not surprise me if they promoted from within long term. I am not sure how desirable of a job this is right now. They have doled out a few very player friendly contracts in recent years and, while they are not in cap trouble are not in a position to use free agency the way some other teams might. The drafting has been poor with the Bills having a league low amount of full time contributors who have actually started their careers with the Bills. Its possible they will be looking for a plug in starter ala Foles, Kaepernick, etc if Taylor is not retained. Their best player, LeSean McCoy, will be 29 next season and may not be a big contributor when a turnaround is ready to happen. Its also a question as to if there are any Rex loyalists (Richie Incognito for example would seem to be one) that could be a problem. If the front office survives this season their track record would certainly not inspire confidence right now.

The pros of the job are that they do have some talented players on the team and if McCoy stays healthy he is as dangerous a player as there is. They also do have an ownership group that will spend and do whatever it takes to win. This is also a fanbase that really wants to see a winner and any trip to the playoffs may give a coach tremendous job security. Rex would have been a hero if the results matched the bluster, but it didnt. Maybe it will for the next man up.

How many TDs were directly caused by the failure to tackle by Bills defenders? This is not a scheme issue.

How many TDs were taken away from the Bills because of the failure to call obvious pass interference?

The game should not even have gone to OT given the above.

Lack of attention to fundamentals is not new with a Rex Ryan team. Go back at watch the two blow outs of Rex's Jets in 2015 with his "you're gonna see.... it won't happen again" before the snow game in Detroit.

Same issues. Fundamentals. If this was a one off you might put it squarely on the players. It isn't. It is a regular feature of Rex Ryan teams.

So we have done blaming the GM and the President... and we have done blaming the players... now we are onto the refs.

None of those are culpable. Rex Ryan is. That his circus ended on a running back going 60 yards against a D with 10 men on the field is the perfect finale. It sums up the Ryan era in Buffalo.

Not the person largely responsible for those 4 losses.

Just the person trying to capitalize on those losses for their own good?

One Buffalo my ass.

The front office is everyman for themselves.

Evil Whaley promised each defensive player a 5k bonus if Ajayi made it to 200+ yards...IN EACH GAME.

First thing today about the Bills that made me chuckle!!

Edited by stony

Where's the talent?

1) McCoy

2) Watkins (when healthy)

3) Incognito

4) Gillislee

5) Clay

On D

1) LorAx (4th in sacks)

2) Zach Brown (3rd in tackles)

3) Preston Brown (10th in tackles)

Plus all the guys that were here before Whaley came on board. This team is has enough talent to win 11 games. Injuries? Most were on the offense, and they still scored almost 400 points.

Maybe Whaley did torpedo Rex. But you know what? I'm glad he did, because hiring Rex was a blunder.

The first three guys you list on the O publicly wanted Rex back. Same with number 1.

How many games did the following miss the past two years:

Shady

Sammy

Wood

Woods

Harvin

Marcell

Kyle

Ragland

Aaron Williams (his back up, and the back up to his back up)

Darby

Gilmore

Lawson

What does it say about the quality of your QB when other teams PUBLICLY state that their strategy was to force him to be a QB?

Just the person trying to capitalize on those losses for their own good?

One Buffalo my ass.

The front office is everyman for themselves.

I don't disagree with that. This organisation is dysfunctional. That is not the reason Rex Ryan failed to win more games. That is on his coaching.