Breaking News: Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan Fired

Same.

I'm going to do my best to be more objective going forward, I can't take this let down anymore.

i dont even know if it was unreasonable to think that. rex had a reputation for being smart/creative defensively. i dont think any of us could have foreseen how much of that is either outdated or predicated on having all time great talent at key positions surrounded by very good talent everywhere. If he has to have his revis, ray lewis, ed reed to succeed... its going to be hard for him to be successful consistently. i guess in hindsight, we saw that play out some with the jets but it was easy as an outsider to chalk it up to the dysfunction and not him...

my take was that schwartz fit this unit like a glove, but that rex would be more sustainable thinking his creativity could cover talent gaps when its hard to pay 4 thoroughbred pass rushers up front.... nope. turns out rex needed all the same talent and then some (and even then we dont know that it would work). As KTD pointed out, we never saw much of the creativity that was a hallmark of his reputation. maybe i just took the scenic route to him just not being into it, and not his scheme being outdated. i dont know, and dont care to comb through ravens and jets film. but it wasnt working and it was something in the coaching realm that was at the core.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont even know if it was unreasonable to think that. rex had a reputation for being smart/creative defensively. i dont think any of us could have foreseen how much of that is either outdated or predicated on having all time great talent at key positions surrounded by very good talent everywhere.

I think we all thought the same about Wanstache. And he was a disaster.

I think we all thought the same about Wanstache. And he was a disaster.

with wannstadt i was pretty certain he would need ELITE line play. between a free agent bust and injuries -- it was doomed before we even knew what could happen. i was worried with schwartz if we lost hughes to free agency and then MD got injured we would see that kind of collapse from his scheme (hell it happened to spags when he went from the giants nascar package to the saints too) -- with those basic 43 systems you have to have horses up front and those guys are hard to come by in volume due to cost.

but i thought that rex would be able to overcome hurdles like that better by outsmarting opponents sometimes. turns out that was pretty rare even with a ton of talent.

Edited by NoSaint

More

Sal Capaccio 🏈 (@SalSports)

12/30/16, 12:06 PM

LeSean McCoy says discipline "has been an issue" with Bills/coaching this year but "players have to be accountable"

it runs both ways. there has to be effort from the players, as well as effort from the coaches to optimize their output. doing stuff like telling them they are eliminated before they actually are probably is not the ideal way to get them to show up, for instance, even if they should be self motivated.

@BF_Insiders

From source who talked w/Rex Ryan: There was definitely a disconnect between RR and DW. RR felt that DW didn't want him from Day 1. #Bills

C08TTp2XUAErlZq.jpg

The only problem with this photograph is that it should be the other way around . . . with St. Doug Whaley standing behind Rex (while stabbing him in the back).

Sorry Bobby, I could not resist.

Edited by Peter

Well if that's the case....Looks like DW was right.

it might be the answer to the question re: was rex dougs choice?

and if he told the pegulas that he didnt think it was the right move but that hed grind it out either way -- might be why he suddenly is in charge this time.

it might be the answer to the question re: was rex dougs choice?

and if he told the pegulas that he didnt think it was the right move but that hed grind it out either way -- might be why he suddenly is in charge this time.

He might not have been Doug's choice.

On the other hand, are we to believe the Pegullibles made the Ryan hire in an information vacuum? That seems far-fetched at best.

On the third hand, this doesn't exactly speak well for Doug or the organization or both. Why didn't he speak up during the hiring process? Or did he? And if so, why was he, the resident football genius, ignored? The "go with the flow" "good soldier" act hasn't worked out twice now, if that narrative is correct. Doug not speaking up and setting a sustainable football direction could be argued as having cost this owner millions of dollars and a bunch of wasted time and customer goodwill. In short, it could be seen as amateur or assholic.

Culture change starts with coherent, strategic leadership. Until then it's about losing bigly.

On the other hand, are we to believe the Pegullibles made the Ryan hire in an information vacuum? That seems far-fetched at best.

On the third hand, this doesn't exactly speak well for Doug or the organization or both. Why didn't he speak up during the hiring process? Or did he? And if so, why was he, the resident football genius, ignored? The "go with the flow" "good soldier" act hasn't worked out twice now, if that narrative is correct. Doug not speaking up and setting a sustainable football direction could be argued as having cost this owner millions of dollars and a bunch of wasted time and customer goodwill. In short, it could be seen as amateur or assholic.

Culture change starts with coherent, strategic leadership. Until then it's about losing bigly.

I'm going to say with a brand new boss and the "team" decisions that were being made up until this point he played his cards close to the vest. From the Pegula organizational structure of the last two years it is clear DW was not trusted to run things by himself. With DW leading the coaching search I am hoping the structure changes and DW will either show he can do it or we'll rinse and repeat again in 3 or so years.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

dont ignore the fact that Rex is the DONALD trump of NFL coaches. He loves the attention, knows how to work the media, and everything he's done is the greatest. He's good at selling himself. Brandon saw $$s, and helped sell him. Maybe someday someone will do an expose?

Oh, I agree that regardless of if he made the choice there's an issue- as you note either he got it wrong or he wasn't willing/able to push to get it right... neither great, so I wasn't absolving him but if he did speak up with concerns that were proven right he might be getting a real opportunity to lead the process here. Just spitballing about the possible dynamics more than blaming anyone with the thoughts

Oh, I agree that regardless of if he made the choice there's an issue- as you note either he got it wrong or he wasn't willing/able to push to get it right... neither great, so I wasn't absolving him but if he did speak up with concerns that were proven right he might be getting a real opportunity to lead the process here. Just spitballing about the possible dynamics more than blaming anyone with the thoughts

I never thought you were assigning blame.

FWIW, the tired shell game of scapegoating <insert name> as he leaves the building has led exactly nowhere. They continue to be an irrelevant and mediocre franchise more interested in curb appeal than substance.

I never thought you were assigning blame.

FWIW, the tired shell game of scapegoating <insert name> as he leaves the building has led exactly nowhere. They continue to be an irrelevant and mediocre franchise more interested in curb appeal than substance.

That's part of the problem with going on group consensus and blurry lines of authority/responsibility

Hopefully no questions on this hire