So when does Rex get axed?

PromoTheRobot

National reporters headging their bets just keep rolling when he will be fired.

Local Media (not the tire fire TBN) no decision made yet.

In all likelyhood he gets fired but very well might not.

Pegula is on record about this is a slow cook (my words not his)

But he is on record with 3 years and also on record that in his eyes the Bills have missed the playoffs once

So is it really that much of a stretch that Pegula gives Rex that 3rd year

how does Pegs justify the Bills missing the playoffs once. This is twice now under Wrex. And how does he justify the defensive regression. We got him all the players he needed last year (after he chased Mario out of town). Still, regression. If Pegs keeps Wrex, expect terrible ticket sales.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like another year and 8-8. Not my choice. I thought his poor calling of this game cooked him but I guess not. Two terrible calls in the end zone killed us. He said he was yelling at the judge for a timeout before the field goal. Replay didn't seem to show that. Who really knows how the NFL gods work.

10 men on the field in OT, after giving up over 200 to the same RB who got 200 on them earlier in the season; two weeks after giving up 200 yards to another RB. Both in what were essentially playoff games for the Bills. In an area that is supposed to be Rex's expertise... I can see them bringing him back too, but I wouldn't bet on it.

They literally gave him everything he wanted: A gang of assistant and assistant to the assistant coaches and draft picks spent on defense. And they still have not performed well enough as a unit, in spite of the individual talent on hand. And 10 men on the field! How does he or his assistants not know Gilmore is in concussion protocol? There is nowhere to hide on that one.

Maybe, just maybe, the issue I have raised over and over is true.... too many dumb football players does not a winning team make. Lack of emotional and intellectual intelligence inside a gifted body doesn't always work. This constant refrain that it's Rex's fault for 10 men on the field is useless absent any indication that he made it happen. Maybe, just maybe, these guys on the sidelines aren't paying attention to calls and the game.

Go ahead, fire Rex, that's what everyone wants. But he doesn't run out of bounds short of first down markers, miss fields goals, miss tackles, miss assignments (every safety not named AW), choke in any game that matters (TT), get stupid personal fouls, and all the other problems that cost this team wins.

How about the players get some accountability. This board is like parents who blame teachers for their kids stupidity. It's a system of parts, each with a role and responsibility that helps achieve a outcome. When many of the parts are clearly problematic, merely changing one part will not fix it. If it did, where's the proof in the last 17 years.

I keep saying it but hire a highly-qualified President of Football Ops who gives the actual ultimatum to Whaley and Rex that they get one year. Let him observe the entire football operation and make the changes he sees fit. The Pegulas are not capable of anything related to football-related (or hockey for that matter) decisions. As long as they're hearing it from Rex and Whaley, forger it. You're just swapping out parts for the same parts.

10 men on the field in OT, after giving up over 200 to the same RB who got 200 on them earlier in the season; two weeks after giving up 200 yards to another RB. Both in what were essentially playoff games for the Bills. In an area that is supposed to be Rex's expertise... I can see them bringing him back too, but I wouldn't bet on it.

They literally gave him everything he wanted: A gang of assistant and assistant to the assistant coaches and draft picks spent on defense. And they still have not performed well enough as a unit, in spite of the individual talent on hand. And 10 men on the field! How does he or his assistants not know Gilmore is in concussion protocol? There is nowhere to hide on that one.

exactly. They gave him EVERYTHING he wanted. Even his awful brother. And still, he stunk up the place. Time to get a HC with some accountability. I can think of literally no other HC who tries to justify 10 men on the field, the botched icing the kicker time-out, etc. With Rex, he's like a teenager who blames all his problems elsewhere. He holds no one accountable, nor himself.

Looks like another year and 8-8. Not my choice. I thought his poor calling of this game cooked him but I guess not. Two terrible calls in the end zone killed us. He said he was yelling at the judge for a timeout before the field goal. Replay didn't seem to show that. Who really knows how the NFL gods work.

I wouldn't call it 8-8 quite yet.

If there is one team Fitz always looks great against, it's the Buffalo Bills.

how does Pegs justify the Bills missing the playoffs once. This is twice now under Wrex. And how does he justify the defensive regression. We got him all the players he needed last year (after he chased Mario out of town). Still, regression. If Pegs keeps Wrex, expect terrible ticket sales.

I am with tou but that is what Terry is on record saying. As well as continuity is key and HC should get 3 years.

He is on record with all that.

Now he has a non losing HC .500. That HC has faced many key injuries, and still has the highest scoring offense in franchise history even over 90s teams (granted different era).

Look I want Rex fired as well. Just saying I dont think it is as cut and dry was the Media wants to make it

Go ahead, fire Rex, that's what everyone wants. But he doesn't run out of bounds short of first down markers, miss fields goals, miss tackles, miss assignments (every safety not named AW), choke in any game that matters (TT), get stupid personal fouls, and all the other problems that cost this team wins.

How about the players get some accountability. This board is like parents who blame teachers for their kids stupidity. It's a system of parts, each with a role and responsibility that helps achieve a outcome. When many of the parts are clearly problematic, merely changing one part will not fix it. If it did, where's the proof in the last 17 years.

Funny, all the things you listed are a coach's responsibility. It is the coach's job to make sure players know their assignments, know the fundamentals of tackling, and know that they have to run out after the marker. A coach is supposed to keep their players disciplined enough not to draw the stupid personal foul.

And you bring up a good point about accountability. Is Rex holding anyone accountable for these flaws? We know he held Roman accountable, but what about on the defensive side? Has he bench a player for poor play? We all know he didn't with Mario.

Rex's defense scheme hasn't worked in two years and he got full support from Whaley on the needed pieces. The Defense was crap all year. I like Rex Ryan and wanted this to work out, but his defense sucks. Even if Rex agreed to fire his DC and his brother I don't think he would ever agree to allow someone else to come in here and change his defensive scheme. Because of that, Rex has to be released.

I originally wanted Rex fired after the Steelers game but since we've come this far, might as well wait until the end of the year - I would make Tyrod in-acitve though.

Time to go back to looking forward to playing against Rex because you know it's an easy win.

Go Bills!!!!!

The current Bills team has way too much talent to put up with poor coaching.

I wouldn't call it 8-8 quite yet.

If there is one team Fitz always looks great against, it's the Buffalo Bills.

I was just thinking that. I don't know that Fitz will beat us. We got him twice last year. But it wouldn't surprise me if the team folded up and got whooped by the Jets.

They should bring in the guy who created Kenmore West's Radar Defense in the late 60's. They were the number one team in the nation.

Or maybe they should bring in Golden Earring, who's Radar Love was a hit in the 70's.

Maybe, just maybe, the issue I have raised over and over is true.... too many dumb football players does not a winning team make. Lack of emotional and intellectual intelligence inside a gifted body doesn't always work. This constant refrain that it's Rex's fault for 10 men on the field is useless absent any indication that he made it happen. Maybe, just maybe, these guys on the sidelines aren't paying attention to calls and the game.

I keep saying it but hire a highly-qualified President of Football Ops who gives the actual ultimatum to Whaley and Rex that they get one year. Let him observe the entire football operation and make the changes he sees fit. The Pegulas are not capable of anything related to football-related (or hockey for that matter) decisions. As long as they're hearing it from Rex and Whaley, forger it. You're just swapping out parts for the same parts.

Nice post - well said.

Rex won't be fired. He will resign and negotiate a buy out for less than $15 million owed. He will do so because Anthony Lynn will be named head coach and keep the offensive staff in place. Chris Palmer will be named OC.

First task for Lynn will be DC hire. Pettine will be on the short list but look for Mike Zimmer or Vic Fangio to be be dark horses if they are free. They will want someone with head coaching experience in this role.

Again, no inside information -- just what I believe they are working on.

Edited by JoeF

I was just thinking that. I don't know that Fitz will beat us. We got him twice last year. But it wouldn't surprise me if the team folded up and got whooped by the Jets.

They should bring in the guy who created Kenmore West's Radar Defense in the late 60's. They were the number one team in the nation.

Or maybe they should bring in Golden Earring, who's Radar Love was a hit in the 70's.

I heard that a loss could give us a top 10 pick. Not bad!

Great post. It won't happen but would love to see Mark Murphy come into this role and be given the authority to make changes this year if needed. The only thing I would hedge on here is keeping Rex means keeping the 3-4 and the Bills simply are not built as structured to be a 3-4 team.

The Bills also have problems as a 4-3 team in that I don't think any of Lawson, Alexander or Hughes are edge setters. However, I like the LB corps of Brown, Brown and Ragland. They are stout. Z. Brown has cover ability. A lot of work needs to be done on D. That work cannot happen with Rex there..

There are 23 free agents -- lots of decisions to be made. Whaley needs another voice in the mix if he is going to stay...

I think they let him play out the last one. No real reason not to.

Agree with this. He gets to coach against his former team, then bye bye. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. If you can't deliver, then you shouldn't talk ****.