Punting on 4th and 3 with 4 mins to go in OT?

Jerry Jabber

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Another keyboard warrior who would be DESTROYING Rex if he had elected to go and did not make it! Rage on keyboard warrior!

Create whatever reality you want to justify your line of thought.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not defending Rexy's punt because obviously the outcome shows he should not have. But this board cracks me up. Had Rex gone for it and they failed Miami needed about one first down to kick the winner. You do understand that right? The greatest Monday morning qb's in the world - sully- TBN- this boards posters - Would be ROASTING Rex for not punting instead. Roast away armchair experts!!!

When a tie eliminates you who cares if they kick the winner. Punt and a couple first downs eliminates you without even kicking

Not defending Rexy's punt because obviously the outcome shows he should not have. But this board cracks me up. Had Rex gone for it and they failed Miami needed about one first down to kick the winner. You do understand that right? The greatest Monday morning qb's in the world - sully- TBN- this boards posters - Would be ROASTING Rex for not punting instead. Roast away armchair experts!!!

Not true....I, along with others, was roasting him for punting

Going for it on 4th down was the correct move because anyone who watched the 2nd half of this game knew with 100% certainty, just like i did, that Miami was going to march right down the field and score with very little resistance.

Which they did

Its not only in hindsight it was very predictable at the time. In fact its exactly what i said when i saw the pubt team walking out.

Its Just like leaving the cheaters 60 seconds at the end of the half/game is guarenteeing them 3 points. It happens and its easy to see coming. In that situation your offense has to play defense. You have to prioritize killing the clock - not scoring points. No one in the NfL has realised that yet and it just amazes me how dense these coaches are sometimes

Our only chance was to go for it. If we didn't make it, we would've lost. But going for it still would've been the correct decision, and most of us wouldn't "roast" Rex for going for it. There's no way to expect the D to stop Miami's O at that point. Punt or get stopped, you're eliminated either way. Go for it, you've got a chance.

Our only chance was to go for it. If we didn't make it, we would've lost. But going for it still would've been the correct decision, and most of us wouldn't "roast" Rex for going for it. There's no way to expect the D to stop Miami's O at that point. Punt or get stopped, you're eliminated either way. Go for it, you've got a chance.

Even if you stop them with a 3 and out you still need a 2 minute offense which isn't what I'd call a strength.

It was by far the right move to go for it

When a tie eliminates you who cares if they kick the winner. Punt and a couple first downs eliminates you without even kicking

Exactly. It was a completely boneheaded decision by Rex. He conceded the game right there with that punt. I thought for sure they were going to fake it when they sent the punter out. Instead we got Dick Jauron football.

And in the post game interview, Rex said every coach in the NFL would have punted there. I call B.S.

How can this guy not understand that he has to go for it there. Complete negligence as a coach in that situation.

At a Christmas family dinner, the football fans said he was correct to punt. I then explained that the offense had put up nearly 600 yards, and the defense had been steamrolled all day. And a tie did the Bills no good, and the opinions changed. Should have gone for it.

I asked one guy if they should fire Rex, and he said "The Bills ain't ever gonna win the division as long as Brady and Bellichick are still together."

I see his point. We can count on being 2 games out going in, just about every year. Unless the Pats have already clinched when we play, or if Brady is under suspension or injury, we ain't gonna beat 'em. No matter who is coaching.

Exactly. It was a completely boneheaded decision by Rex. He conceded the game right there with that punt. I thought for sure they were going to fake it when they sent the punter out. Instead we got Dick Jauron football.

And in the post game interview, Rex said every coach in the NFL would have punted there. I call B.S.

How can this guy not understand that he has to go for it there. Complete negligence as a coach in that situation.

Week 1 of the season most might

In a "tie knocks you out" game, not a single one that's aware of the situation would

Week 1 of the season most might

In a "tie knocks you out" game, not a single one that's aware of the situation would

I agree. And yet probably a solid half (or more perhaps) Bills fans still in that stadium understood that, but somehow Rex didn't. It was the game right there. He conceded like a complete (*^*&%^$^#who doesn't care if his team makes the playoffs. If he really wanted to win that game he would have gone for it there. He didn't want it bad enough. He was more concerned about his image and how it would look if they lost because they didn't convert the 4th down. Hey Rex - F- U pal. Hope he invited Dick Jauron over for Christmas dinner so they could toast the smart decision.

At a Christmas family dinner, the football fans said he was correct to punt. I then explained that the offense had put up nearly 600 yards, and the defense had been steamrolled all day. And a tie did the Bills no good, and the opinions changed. Should have gone for it.

This is a really good post and anecdote. In theory, to most football enthusiasts, with four minutes to go and a 4th and 3 on your own 40 you punt. Most coaches would as Rex said. But the game isn't played in theory. In this particular game, in OT, with your offense motoring and your defense failing and you cannot stop the opposing team's workhorse and you had just scored a couple long TD drives and a tie is worthless because you need a win for the playoffs, you go for it.

If we go for it and don't get it I disagree that the majority would be as pissed as we are right now. 4 mins left in your season, one TO and a defense that has been stomped on for two games by that point by the fins and the running defense has been is shambles for two years. It's like they really didn't know a tie was not an option. No question in my mind you have to go for it and be the aggressor in that spot. If we punt we have little to no chance to stop then run half the field in the less then one min that would be left with no timeouts even if the defense did their job. Most outcomes in that situation is we somehow lose, the only way to switch that up is to go for it and get it. If we don't then we don't but at least we had the balls to try to give it all to get to the playoffs. I don't think Rex would be getting killed nearly as much if we went for it and didn't get it but he deserves all the **** he's getting for being spineless in the biggest in game decision of his Bills career. We had to go for it, no brainer.

You couldn't be more wrong. This made absolutely no sense to punt the ball given the situation. I am going to break it down to you. 4th & 2, the offense has had their best half of football all season. Game on the line, season on the line, Ryan's career on the line & sends out the worst punter in the league to pin them back, something Schmidt hasn't been able to do all year? The defense was a sive all day long & he put more condfidence in them then he did in the offense. What made matters even worse was the situation the game/season was in & the situation Miami was in. The Bills needed a win to save their season. My guess is Miami would of been perfectly content with getting out of town with a tie. So 4 minutes left Bills have one time out. A tie still puts Miami in a great position to make the playoffs. They get the ball back & my guess their goal was to get one first down & then kneel the ball to run the clock out. With the Bills only having one time out this would of been obtainable. So what is the difference if the Bills defense gave up the first down at their own 40 or the Miami 25 yard line? Absolutely nothing, the game ends in a tie anyways. Now the Billos defense obviously made the point mute as they gave up a 57 yard run on the first play. But it was a horrible call all along so stop trying to defend it.

Edited by Gordio

"The punt" sealed his fate if it wasn't sealed already. There was a sense of finality with that play.

I don't believe Rex was the one that called for the punt. I think that was Lynn. Unfortunately, that put the game in the hands of Thurman who's always been a bozo in my book who benefits from being protected by a loyal Ryan despite his numerous failures.

This is situational game calling...what is happening at the moment...it was a horrible decision...and yes, it was a bad call

I wasn't questioning that part...why give a team that was in a hurry to get a FG attempt more time to set up?

In most cases, I'd agree, but the announcers implied that their kicker had suffered from a bit of the yips, so the spontaneous nature of this kick probably helped him. It was the perfect time to freeze him.

"The punt" sealed his fate if it wasn't sealed already. There was a sense of finality with that play.

I don't believe Rex was the one that called for the punt. I think that was Lynn. Unfortunately, that put the game in the hands of Thurman who's always been a bozo in my book who benefits from being protected by a loyal Ryan despite his numerous failures.

In the after game interview, Rex said he stood by his decision to punt there. He said every head coach in the league would have punted there. It was Rex's decision, not Lynn's.