Trump foreign policy

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It's a globally interconnected economy.  The US is the worlds largest oil producer, but prices are lower, and more stable (both things which are better for American business and consumers) when the US is the largest producer in an even larger global market.

And it's not bad actors in the ME I'm talking about.  It's the Russias and Chinas of the world who will flow into any space we vacate.  While we occupy those spaces we can exert outsized influence on the world, and the world is better, and Americans are better off when we do.

Someone will fill any void we make, and they won't have our best interests in mind.

I understand it's a very global economy.  However if we took any goods or services that are exchanged between us and the ME away how badly would that truly change our economy here?  And as far as Russia and China swooping in?  This comment is part infectiousness and naivete but here goes.  Let them ***** have it!   I think dealing with that shithole will make them weaker than stronger.  

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I understand it's a very global economy.  However if we took any goods or services that are exchanged between us and the ME away how badly would that truly change our economy here?  And as far as Russia and China swooping in?  This comment is part infectiousness and naivete but here goes.  Let them ***** have it!   I think dealing with that shithole will make them weaker than stronger.  

Do you believe Americans are better off and safer when the geo-political norms report to American interests, or when they report to Russian or Chinese interests?

9 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Do you believe Americans are better off and safer when the geo-political norms report to American interests, or when they report to Russian or Chinese interests?

I wouldn’t consider the ME anywhere near the geopolitical norms.  

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I wouldn’t consider the ME anywhere near the geopolitical norms.  

That's a non-answer.

You can't pretend the ME doesn't have geo-political norms, and that that region doesn't have a massive impact on the foreign policy of every single industrialized nation on the planet.  The world has gotten far too small for that, Jim; and there's no sound argument to be made for an isolationist approach to the region.  If we ignore problems they don't go away, but rather they fester.

Please note that I'm not making an argument for active, ongoing intervention in the region; I'm simply saying that our relationship with Israel is vital to us being able to exert our influence there as it's necessary.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That's a non-answer.

You can't pretend the ME doesn't have geo-political norms, and that that region doesn't have a massive impact on the foreign policy of every single industrialized nation on the planet.  The world has gotten far too small for that, Jim; and there's no sound argument to be made for an isolationist approach to the region.  If we ignore problems they don't go away, but rather they fester.

Please note that I'm not making an argument for active, ongoing intervention in the region; I'm simply saying that our relationship with Israel is vital to us being able to exert out influence there as it's necessary.

And an impact?  Yes.  A MASSIVE impact?  I think that's a bit over the top.  

Now you seem confused.  You are saying that on one had we should not have ongoing intervention in the region (we both agree on this)  but if we were not there the Chinese and Russians would swoop in and fill the void.  Which is it? 

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And an impact?  Yes.  A MASSIVE impact?  I think that's a bit over the top.  

Now you seem confused.  You are saying that on one had we should not have ongoing intervention in the region (we both agree on this)  but if we were not there the Chinese and Russians would swoop in and fill the void.  Which is it? 

It's both, Jim.  America filled the void in the ME prior to the advent of neo-conservative foreign policy.  We should return to Realist policy in regards to the ME, which still includes retaining the strategic ability to project force as necessary, without resorting to projecting force continuously as policy.

Your attempt to frame this as an either/or scenario is inappropriate.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

32 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It's both, Jim.  America filled the void in the ME prior to the advent of neo-conservative foreign policy.  We should return to Realist policy in regards to the ME, which still includes retaining the strategic ability to project force as necessary, without resorting to projecting force continuously as policy.

Your attempt to frame this as an either/or scenario is inappropriate.

So what you're saying is we do not have to have a direct military presence in the area (boots on the ground as they say) but the ability to let the region know if you ***** up we are a "stones throw" away.   And this will not create a vacuum.   If so fair enough.

50 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So what you're saying is we do not have to have a direct military presence in the area (boots on the ground as they say) but the ability to let the region know if you ***** up we are a "stones throw" away.   And this will not create a vacuum.   If so fair enough.

Exactly correct.

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

See kids.  This is how the adults do it.  I still think you're an *****.  I kid I kid.........

And to tell you the truth being an adult is not as much fun but we all knew that.  

Well, to be fair I am kind of an *****.

But I'm the loveable kind.

• Haha (+1) 1

Another Saturday, another yellow vest protest:

"Yellow vest" protesters have gathered in Paris and other cities for a fifth consecutive Saturday of demonstrations.

About 69,000 police have been mobilised across France to prevent a repeat of the violence of previous weeks.

The movement, initially against a rise in fuel taxes, now addresses other issues, including education reforms.

</snip>

From the article: 

</snip>

Now senior officers have confirmed that some of the 14 armoured cars deployed by gendarmes contained ‘a radical device that was only to be used as a last resort’ against their own citizens.

A gun-like distributor on the vehicles’ turrets can spray the powder over 430,500 sq. ft. in ten seconds, Marianne magazine reports.

The high-density noxious product contains the same power as 200 tear gas grenades, and is designed to knock people out indiscriminately in an emergency.

A source at the Paris police prefecture said: ‘If a large crowd forced barriers through the security perimeter, then the powder would be used as a last resort in order to stop them.' 

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1