PFW: Tom Coughlin the favorite to replace Rex Ryan

FluffHead

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This feels like when the Dolphins brought in Parcells. Big name, great deeds in the past. Unfortunately, Parcells only set the Dolphins back and I expect a Coughlin stint at the end of his career would be similar. Better to draft a QB and bring in a younger guy like David Shaw if the Pegulas want to change horses.

didnt Parcells turn the fish around from a 1-15 team to making the playoffs.. the following year? That's no joke dude.

These "fire Rex" rumors have too much smoke to be all BS. And I am not happy about it UNLESS someone like Cowher, Gruden, Coughlin, etc. come in here. That is extremely unlikely, IMO.

Let's assume the team goes 9-7.

Think of the optics: the owners loved this guy so much they had to have him, so they signed him to a big fat contract and went all in on the Rex train. Then, after he goes 8-8 and 9-7 they can him in year #2 after a winning season where the team just misses the playoffs.

He would have the best winning percentage of any Bills coach since Wade, and would have a winning record here with the Bills, but they would can him and start all over.

That is just dumb. I cannot get my head around it. If Whaley cannot get along with Rex or Marrone maybe the problem is Whaley.

Whaley has made some decent moves, and I don't need him fired or anything, but he has hardly done some incredible job here that makes him untouchable. The Watkins trade was stupid and Marrone hated it and didn't want it. This roster is not all that deep and there are a lot of holes that Bills fans who over value Bills players cannot see for some reason.

I think he's done some good things, too. But if the guy constantly has issues getting along with coaches then either the team will promote Lynn and just let Whaley dominate him or the issues will continue and eventually Whaley will be out the door after a couple more years of dysfunction and rumors and leaks in the front office.

Edited by TheFunPolice

These "fire Rex" rumors have too much smoke to be all BS. And I am not happy about it UNLESS someone like Cowher, Gruden, Coughlin, etc. come in here. That is extremely unlikely, IMO.

Let's assume the team goes 9-7.

Think of the optics: the owners loved this guy so much they had to have him, so they signed him to a big fat contract and went all in on the Rex train. Then, after he goes 8-8 and 9-7 they can him in year #2 after a winning season where the team just misses the playoffs.

He would have the best winning percentage of any Bills coach since Wade, and would have a winning record here with the Bills, but they would can him and start all over.

That is just dumb. I cannot get my head around it. If Whaley cannot get along with Rex or Marrone maybe the problem is Whaley.

Whaley has made some decent moves, and I don't need him fired or anything, but he has hardly done some incredible job here that makes him untouchable. The Watkins trade was stupid and Marrone hated it and didn't want it. This roster is not all that deep and there are a lot of holes that Bills fans who over value Bills players cannot see for some reason.

I think he's done some good things, too. But if the guy constantly has issues getting along with coaches then either the team will promote Lynn and just let Whaley dominate him or the issues will continue and eventually Whaley will be out the door after a couple more years of dysfunction and rumors and leaks in the front office.

I agree with this.

CONTINUITY (unless the GM cant get along with another >.500 coach)

Let them all sink or swim together

The team has every reason to keep Rex and Whaley if they go 9-7.

The Pegulas are rich, but paying someone $15 million to go away is a lot, so if the fans seem mostly content with the coach staying that saves them a lot of $$.

There seems to be very little, if any, pressure from the outside to fire the coach. Russ Brandon can sell tickets to 5-11 teams, so a 9-7 team "right on the verge" is like a freaking vacation for him, especially if they find some sort of answer at QB that would excite fans.

Never has the "continuity" argument carried more water.

So either these rumors are all BS (which seems doubtful given the number of them) or there are some serious issues we don't know about behind the scenes that make it unworkable. How that boils down to "fire the coach" escapes me, unless Rex is totally impossible to work with.

I go back to the shouting match between Marrone and Whaley at training camp the year Marrone quit. It's been a while since there was any sort of unified plan at OBD.

For years it seemed like the GM has been doing his thing, and the coach has been doing his thing, but they don't see eye to eye.

The thing I don't get is that it SEEMS like Whaley has gone out and gotten Rex everything he's wanted, so why would there be an issue?

Edited by TheFunPolice

The team has every reason to keep Rex and Whaley if they go 9-7.

The Pegulas are rich, but paying someone $15 million to go away is a lot, so if the fans seem mostly content with the coach staying that saves them a lot of $$.

There seems to be very little, if any, pressure from the outside to fire the coach. Russ Brandon can sell tickets to 5-11 teams, so a 9-7 team "right on the verge" is like a freaking vacation for him, especially if they find some sort of answer at QB that would excite fans.

Never has the "continuity" argument carried more water.

So either these rumors are all BS (which seems doubtful given the number of them) or there are some serious issues we don't know about behind the scenes that make it unworkable. How that boils down to "fire the coach" escapes me, unless Rex is totally impossible to work with.

I go back to the shouting match between Marrone and Whaley at training camp the year Marrone quit. It's been a while since there was any sort of unified plan at OBD.

For years it seemed like the GM has been doing his thing, and the coach has been doing his thing, but they don't see eye to eye.

The thing I don't get is that it SEEMS like Whaley has gone out and gotten Rex everything he's wanted, so why would there be an issue?

Yes. To be honest, I think most fans were pretty resigned to the reality that Rex would be here next season... but then the reports came before the Pittsburgh game. It took me by surprise, my wife read it on facebook which is how I learned and I told her no way and it was probably nothing. Then I saw it was a legitimate source.

That seems to have emboldened the fire Rex crowd and people who just want a log thrown onto the fire.

They really could have put the fire out right after the Pittsburgh game by publicly supporting the coach. They havent done it at all and it speaks volumes.

The fact that this is happening does seem to indicate a rift/drama at OBD

And they didn't get that way by tossing away $15M on a whim.

Right. Something just doesn't make sense.

Usually teams have to feel the public pressure building to make a change. It's not just the HC, but all the assistants and a lot of players that have to go.

I'll go back to something I noticed during the "Rex and Rob" special they ran this summer on local TV.

There was a scene where Terry Pegula was sitting in a golf cart at camp and Rex was telling him how everything would be different this year and Terry was just staring straight ahead not even looking at him.

His body language seemed to me to indicate that he wasn't really buying it and didn't really want to hear it. I always wondered after that how much he was really into the idea of Rex and how much it was Kim's idea and he was just going along with it but was getting annoyed at the bluster.

He had a look on his face that a parent might when a teenager is saying if the parents just let him and his friends go to the family cabin alone all weekend, they'll clean it up nice, stack a bunch of firewood, and definitely not drink or party!

Total speculation on my part. But maybe if he's not thrilled with Rex someone i the front office sees a chance to drive a wedge.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Gruden (while he would be awesome) isn't coming here sadly.

That I would support.

Why do people even mention Cowher and Gruden as if they are potential candidates? Neither is leaving the comfort of the broadcast booth or studio to coach again.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Why do people even mention Cowher and Gruden as if they are potential candidates? Neither is leaving the comfort of the broadcast or studio to coach again.

I don't think it's possible or likely. I want Rex to stay. I was just guessing who the poster above me was referring to.

Terry was working on Cowher the last time around though. Guys with billions aren't used to not getting what they want so who knows. The coaches still have to be willing in the end.

On another coach related note, NOBODY in the media had Rex coming to the Bills. Then it was a done deal. That tells me they are pretty much just guessing.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I don't think it's possible or likely. I want Rex to stay. I was just guessing who the poster above me was referring to.

No one in particular. It would be very Bills-ian to have Whaley gut the roster yet again and start trying to find new players for polar opposite systems. Fits well with the weathervane identity.

I'm definitely not interested in Coughlin. He was good when Rex was pretty good. I'm not optimistic on his ability to adjust to the 2017 NFL reality that Rex is struggling to, and would absolutely prefer a younger new genius style coach than an old tough guy.

Why do people even mention Cowher and Gruden as if they are potential candidates? Neither is leaving the comfort of the broadcast booth or studio to coach again.

Excellent point. Why do you want to go back to 16 hr days, when they get a very nice living working far less? Besides, I lived the Gruden years in Tampa. He improved the offense to win the SB, but already had incredible defense. He rest of his years he would avg. 5-11 and 11-5 every other year. He was excellent in Oakland, and OC in Philly.

His problem is he tried to play GM too much by bringing in over the hills guys, because he was always in a win now program, vs. building a long term winning program.

Cowher will never come back.