PFW: Tom Coughlin the favorite to replace Rex Ryan

FluffHead

I just wonder who Coughlin would bring along as DC/OC? The staff selection after the hire would be the most interesting thing for me.

This.

I would love for him to bring an oc to groom to take over for him after 3-5 years. We need a culture change.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't think Rex will be fired. I mean he is in position to still sneak into the playoffs and finish with a winning record despite Sammy being unable to contribute most the year, losing McCoy for close to 3 games, missing Dareus most the year, losing Rags for the whole season, Shaq missing close to half a season and all of camp, missing AW most the season, losing Wood close to half the season, missing Robert Woods for several games and having him play hurt the bulk of the time he did play, having to start guys like Harvin and Goodwin due to so many WR injuries, having to bring in WR's off the street mid season just to have enough healthy ones to play, losing Glenn for several games and other OL players being out, seeing Clay miss time, and not to mention shorter term injuries making other key players miss games at DB, LB, DL, etc including the NFL sack leader.

On top of that, we had to fire an OC after 2 games and hand it over to a first time OC and we had a game literally stolen from us in Seattle (similar how the refs kind of stole the Giants game from us last year with atrocious calls overturning scores).

The anti Rex crowd is always quick to say all teams have injuries, but there is NO denying the impact we faced with key starters missing lots of time...players we could NOT afford to lose. Add in the fact that while Taylor 100% earned his right to start this whole season after a promising year to build on last season, he also did not progress as much as the team hoped and needed. Despite everything, this team is still in the hunt (although unlikely even if we win out to make it in) and should at the very least have Rex at .500 or 1 game over .500 for his 2 seasons in Buffalo.

PS: Injuries were devastating last year too, and if Taylor doesn't get hurt we certainly don't likely lose the Jax game that EJ completely blew and may have won both games EJ played...which puts us at 9-7 or 10-6 last year.

The gross exaggeration of how bad Rex has been is a bit over the top. I wont throw a fit if he is fired, but I definitely feel he should at least get a 3rd year, especially a full year with Lynn. If we lose the next 2 games, I think the scales tip towards firing...if we split, I think he likely stays but isn't for sure...if we win out and he goes 9-7 then I just don't see how they can fire him when he did that without so many key players throughout the season.

PS: Its not fair for Rex, Whaley, and the Pegulas to have the whole 17 years hanging around their neck...they were not part of that history. To just be over reactive because of it is how you make mistakes.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I honestly don't think Rex will be fired. I mean he is in position to still sneak into the playoffs and finish with a winning record despite Sammy being unable to contribute most the year, losing McCoy for close to 3 games, missing Dareus most the year, losing Rags for the whole season, Shaq missing close to half a season and all of camp, missing AW most the season, losing Wood close to half the season, missing Robert Woods for several games and having him play hurt the bulk of the time he did play, having to start guys like Harvin and Goodwin due to so many WR injuries, having to bring in WR's off the street mid season just to have enough healthy ones to play, losing Glenn for several games and other OL players being out, seeing Clay miss time, and not to mention shorter term injuries making other key players miss games at DB, LB, DL, etc including the NFL sack leader.

On top of that, we had to fire an OC after 2 games and hand it over to a first time OC and we had a game literally stolen from us in Seattle (similar how the refs kind of stole the Giants game from us last year with atrocious calls overturning scores).

The anti Rex crowd is always quick to say all teams have injuries, but there is NO denying the impact we faced with key starters missing lots of time...players we could NOT afford to lose. Add in the fact that while Taylor 100% earned his right to start this whole season after a promising year to build on last season, he also did not progress as much as the team hoped and needed. Despite everything, this team is still in the hunt (although unlikely even if we win out to make it in) and should at the very least have Rex at .500 or 1 game over .500 for his 2 seasons in Buffalo.

PS: Injuries were devastating last year too, and if Taylor doesn't get hurt we certainly don't likely lose the Jax game that EJ completely blew and may have won both games EJ played...which puts us at 9-7 or 10-6 last year.

The gross exaggeration of how bad Rex has been is a bit over the top. I wont throw a fit if he is fired, but I definitely feel he should at least get a 3rd year, especially a full year with Lynn. If we lose the next 2 games, I think the scales tip towards firing...if we split, I think he likely stays but isn't for sure...if we win out and he goes 9-7 then I just don't see how they can fire him when he did that without so many key players throughout the season.

PS: Its not fair for Rex, Whaley, and the Pegulas to have the whole 17 years hanging around their neck...they were not part of that history. To just be over reactive because of it is how you make mistakes.

If the Steeler game didn't demonstrate how much Rex's defense regressed under his tutelage then nothing will. It was men against pubescent boys.

You are right that Rex shouldn't have the whole 17 years of ignominious failure attached to him. But that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be given credit for continuing the tradition of mediocrity.

Rex has been a HC long enough to have a large enough body of work to make a fair judgment about him. He had a losing record in NY and a mediocre record in Buffalo. To his credit he may be befuddled on the sidelines but he is an ace at the podium. Getting rid of Rex certainly doesn't solve all the issues that plague this troubled franchise. But with his release it gives the organization an opportunity to find a replacement who is an upgrade over him.

Edited by JohnC

Not sure how i feel about this pick. I called for the firing of Rex, Tyrod, and Whaley. However, Is Tom the best answer? Teams know his strategies. I think a new face with a proven track record should be the replacement HC. However, Idk who that'd be. The two decade mark of no playoffs is approaching just a few years down the road. You'd think the Pegula's would have invested in a few candidates, not just settling for the next big name like we did with Rex.

Not sure how i feel about this pick. I called for the firing of Rex, Tyrod, and Whaley. However, Is Tom the best answer? Teams know his strategies. I think a new face with a proven track record should be the replacement HC. However, Idk who that'd be. The two decade mark of no playoffs is approaching just a few years down the road. You'd think the Pegula's would have invested in a few candidates, not just settling for the next big name like we did with Rex.

Pegs should have cleaned house from the get go, now we will have to wait a few more yrs for this to happen

Why do people even mention Cowher and Gruden as if they are potential candidates? Neither is leaving the comfort of the broadcast booth or studio to coach again.

Additionally I believe the drive to be champion was what drove them. After achieving it, I can't imagine the same hunger is there. It's easy to speculate they felt that way because they hung it up.

Then there is also the risk of compromising the established legacy.

They aren't on the market.... and are unlikely to ever be.

Coughlin with Lynn as OC and assistant head coach

It isn't a great thing to say, but I can't get over his age. He'll be coaching the Bills at 71. He came off three really really bad years in NY where his teams gave up on him. All that with a borderline HOF QB.

The game passes everyone by in my opinion, including coaches.

It isn't a great thing to say, but I can't get over his age. He'll be coaching the Bills at 71. He came off three really really bad years in NY where his teams gave up on him. All that with a borderline HOF QB.

The game passes everyone by in my opinion, including coaches.

Two years grooming Lynn and then Lynn takes over?