In defense of Rex....

Webster Guy

continuity. A pipe dream

I would have liked one more yr with marrone. I didn't want him or think the team needed him another yr further. He would have shaped up our team, for better or for worse without the qb. Which is how Whaley built this team. The qb is last.

Come 2016 we could and would have had the chance to bring in a better coach after likely not making the playoffs. Or retain him a 1 yr prove it contract. He was good for our team. We just did not have pieces in place tohelp him.

which means slightly more than nothing means already. 11 yards more per game and defensive statistics are one of the most absurd measuring sticks around. The trained eye and sniff test go a lot further.

potential droy Darby. Among the best in his position Gilmore. All pro Dareus and incognito. Perennial power meatball kyle Williams. All pro Mario Williams. Up and coming Hughes. A potential break out player in Bradham (yes, remember he was listed as breakout for 2015). Mccoy, Watkins on offense are also fairly a bit ok

This is correct as the Bills just have different playmakers at different positions. Seahawks in the secondary and Buffalo on the D-line. Let's not forget that Lorenzo Alexander was the leading sacker in the NFL for most of this year and the Bills has the #1 pass rush for a while.

These past two weeks against a good team Ryan's defensive scheme has been exposed as an inferior scheme that can't rush the passer against a good O-line. No sacks on Derek Carr or Big Ben. The Bills defense seems to be able to either shut down the passer or stop the run but can't seem to do both at the same time.

By this same token Jim Schwartz held the league's MVP passer in Aaron Rodgers to 17 of 42 for 185 yards, no TDs, 2 INT's a 34.3 rating. That year Rodgers threw for 4381 yards, 38 TD's and only 5 INT's! While the 2016 Bills defense managed almost a similar feat against Big Ben, that 2014 defense didn't allow a 100-yard rusher much less 236 yards, 3 TD's.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario throwing a fit and dareus out for half the season arent on rex. Thats a huge difference between now and 2014. Also, dareus last season was a prob bowler. Hard to say he regressed under rex. Rex also got 12 sacks out of marios position this year so far with 3 games to go. Aaron williams injury didnt help but ill go ahead and toss some blame on rex there for counting on williams for this season. Still top safety out for basically 2 seasons. This has been nowhere near the same defense schwartz had to work with.

This is correct as the Bills just have different playmakers at different positions. Seahawks in the secondary and Buffalo on the D-line. Let's not forget that Lorenzo Alexander was the leading sacker in the NFL for most of this year and the Bills has the #1 pass rush for a while.

These past two weeks against a good team Ryan's defensive scheme has been exposed as an inferior scheme that can't rush the passer against a good O-line. No sacks on Derek Carr or Big Ben. The Bills defense seems to be able to either shut down the passer or stop the run but can't seem to do both at the same time.

By this same token Jim Schwartz held the league's MVP passer in Aaron Rodgers to 17 of 42 for 185 yards, no TDs, 2 INT's a 34.3 rating. That year Rodgers threw for 4381 yards, 38 TD's and only 5 INT's! While the 2016 Bills defense managed almost a similar feat against Big Ben, that 2014 defense didn't allow a 100-yard rusher much less 236 yards, 3 TD's.

everyone points to how bad wee were against Oakland 2014. How bad were we against the rams? The jets? The Fins? We can't stop the run when they want to run. We can't stop the pass when they want to pass. We make decent half time adjustments usually but its beyond amazing that it takes half a game for this incompetent boob and his double boob brother to get their ducks in a row.

Mario throwing a fit and dareus out for half the season arent on rex. Thats a huge difference between now and 2014. Also, dareus last season was a prob bowler. Hard to say he regressed under rex. Rex also got 12 sacks out of marios position this year so far with 3 games to go. Aaron williams injury didnt help but ill go ahead and toss some blame on rex there for counting on williams for this season. Still top safety out for basically 2 seasons. This has been nowhere near the same defense schwartz had to work with.

the coach runs the team. Did anyone throw a fit under marrone?

Why did these guys all start acting out so bad under rex?

Then you blame rex for aaronmwilliams. Ryan doesn't field the team only coach it

everyone points to how bad wee were against Oakland 2014. How bad were we against the rams? The jets? The Fins? We can't stop the run when they want to run. We can't stop the pass when they want to pass. We make decent half time adjustments usually but its beyond amazing that it takes half a game for this incompetent boob and his double boob brother to get their ducks in a row.

the coach runs the team. Did anyone throw a fit under marrone?

Why did these guys all start acting out so bad under rex?

Then you blame rex for aaronmwilliams. Ryan doesn't field the team only coach it

Because they are supposed to be professionals. Sorry, not on the coach that they didnt feel like buying in because they didnt like his scheme. Rex never did anything but praise the guy. What else do you want rex to do? Make mario try?

If you think dareus deciding its a good idea to skip his drug test that he knew full well he would get suspended for is rex's fault I dont know what to tell ya. People make their own decisions.

I do give a bit of blame to rex for not having a viable back up to aaron incase he went down again. I dont balme him for the injury for christ sake. Either way, saying these are the same players from 2014 is just wrong. They should all be the same, if they would all get on the feild at the same time. Some of thats is on rex. A lot of it is on the players.

The legacy of the '14 defense continues to evolve into mythic proportions.

That defense was great at rushing the passer and it is too bad it couldn't have played with more leads late in games.

But that defense was hardly dominant in the true football sense of the word. It simply could not be counted on to stop an opponent when it absolutely had to at critical junctures. They had their moments, but they were a far cry from the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, and the more recent Seahawks defenses.

It's no myth. They allowed fewer points than 28 other teams. That's pretty good. Anyone that wouldn't sign up for that this season to accompany the top 10 scorning offense?

This year that's somewhere between KC and Dallas.

Because they are supposed to be professionals. Sorry, not on the coach that they didnt feel like buying in because they didnt like his scheme. Rex never did anything but praise the guy. What else do you want rex to do? Make mario try?

If you think dareus deciding its a good idea to skip his drug test that he knew full well he would get suspended for is rex's fault I dont know what to tell ya. People make their own decisions.

I do give a bit of blame to rex for not having a viable back up to aaron incase he went down again. I dont balme him for the injury for christ sake. Either way, saying these are the same players from 2014 is just wrong. They should all be the same, if they would all get on the feild at the same time. Some of thats is on rex. A lot of it is on the players.

we only ever saw rex heard rex praise the guy.

I frankly feel lied to

Rex Ryan didnt get hired because he was this awesome HC (in my opinion) he was hired because he is supposed to be this defensive guru and the staple of our team was a strong defense. BOTH Pettine AND Schwartz have done more with it.

But anyway...that is why I think he was hired....he has very little to do with the offensive side of the ball......but he dominates the D side of it and once again we are the bottom quarter of the league in D even though

- The majority of our money goes the D side of the ball

- The majority of our draft picks have been put towards the D side of the ball

If this was just a Number 10 D in the league we are not sitting in the postiion we are right now.......even with how poorly Tyrod is playing and the injuries on the O side of the ball...why? because the O is in fact scoring points.

We literally need to score 25 or more points in order to have a chance to win games....that was NEVER the plan

Exact-a-mundo!!!!

I frankly feel lied to

Rex Ryan didnt get hired because he was this awesome HC (in my opinion) he was hired because he is supposed to be this defensive guru and the staple of our team was a strong defense. BOTH Pettine AND Schwartz have done more with it.

But anyway...that is why I think he was hired....he has very little to do with the offensive side of the ball......but he dominates the D side of it and once again we are the bottom quarter of the league in D even though

- The majority of our money goes the D side of the ball

- The majority of our draft picks have been put towards the D side of the ball

If this was just a Number 10 D in the league we are not sitting in the postiion we are right now.......even with how poorly Tyrod is playing and the injuries on the O side of the ball...why? because the O is in fact scoring points.

We literally need to score 25 or more points in order to have a chance to win games....that was NEVER the plan

This is the Rex Way of doing things. Edited by Augie

Can't defend Rex. He wasn't supposed to come in and fix the defense, it wasn't broken. It sure as hell is broken now. It's talented enough still to be turned around, I just don't think he can do it without more of his type of players and that is not gonna fly. Unacceptable.

Can't defend Rex. He wasn't supposed to come in and fix the defense, it wasn't broken. It sure as hell is broken now. It's talented enough still to be turned around, I just don't think he can do it without more of his type of players and that is not gonna fly. Unacceptable.

I think we must be almost out of former Jets.

I never wanted him...And I definitely don't want him to stay...

The truth is he sold himself as a defensive guru...wanted to build a bully-run-first-and-play-light-out-D style of team...And what we have is a bully who gets KTFO in a tough fight WAY too often...Had Rex not come in and talked about this Defense being the next 2000 Ravens maybe...maybe I could give him a little rope...But if you're gonna talk like that you damn well better be able to back it up...And it seems like most of the time Rex's D is the only thing backing up...

Good coaches don't go 1-6 vs winning teams with the only win coming against a 3rd string injured QB...That's pretty much something only bad coaches do...Rex is now 4-11 vs teams that finished better than 9-7 last year and have a winning record so far this year combined...4-11...

I don't dislike Rex...I actually like a lot of things about his personality and think he appreciates Buffalo and Bills fans...I think he gets us...But I think the game has passed him and his brother by quickly...The system they believe in on Defense is not working anymore...The Bills are not the most talented team defensively, but they have talent on Defense...And in a VERY short period of time Rex has taken a good, solid, NFL Defense and turned it into one that allows yards in huge chunks vs the pass and the run..2 times in 13 games allowing 200 plus yards to a single RB? What the hell is that?

The Bills can do better...There are better coaches in this day of NFL football and Rex will be great on The NFL Network...or ESPN...or FOX...Or wherever he goes on TV...I'm not mad...It was a swing and a miss...Time to try again... B-)

I think Rex should stay another season here's 5 reasons why:

1. Our defense did not get rolled these past few games because of coaching. We simply could not execute on the field. Bell was running through an 8 man front all day, what the hell do you expect the DC to do when his team can't tackle? Or what about the Jets, Raiders games when our cb's WITH safety help still can't physically cover their guys? Is a new head coach supposed to fix their technique?

2. We don't have a franchise qb. Look at the good playoff teams, they all have one. We took the best guy Whaley could find for Rex and surrounded him with a pretty good Oline and 2 great RB's but he didn't pan out. Not the head coaches fault. If you believe TT is not the answer, how can you possibly expect the coach to consistently win in this league with him at qb?

3. Making the change from Roman to Lynn took a lot of balls and showed me that Rex isn't afraid to

admit he was wrong and make a bold change at the top to better his team. This offseason Lynn can install his own system and get even better.

4. This is just a hunch, but I think Kyle Williams retires if we get another HC. The guy still is a force and we need him on this team, but at this point he's set for life financially, his family lives in the south, and there's a lot of wear and tear on the guy. If anyone could sell him on one more season it would be Rex, not some new guy who is going to "fix" everything with another new system.

5. I think Rex's history is decent considering he's had a bunch of .500 or better seasons with never having a franchise qb. Can you name any other coaches that played in a division with a perennially dominant team like the Pats that had playoff success without a top 10 qb? If you can't, then what do you really expect a new guy is going to do here that all the previous head coaches failed to do?

I think Pegula understands that a good year for a coach without a stud qb in this league is around .500 and he keeps Rex here for another season at least.

I agree most of what you said. There aren't many of us, but I think that has more to do with the fact so many hated Ryan as a Jet and never let go of that biased lol.

I actually think its been pretty impressive to finish 8-8 last year with all the variables, injuries, etc. This year we were cursed again and lost so many important players, and many missing all at the same time. We play in a tough division and a tough conference in general, its difficult to keep winning without your key players on the field.

In years past the Bills seemed to win ugly and lose uglier. Under Rex I have seen us crush teams in several wins and also stay mostly competitive in most losses, despite who was or wasn't playing. And its kind of silly for people to run around and say Taylor is awful then say Rex is awful for not having us in the playoffs. Its uber rare that a team with an "awful" QB makes the playoffs, and almost impossible in a division with Brady and the Pats. So either they are grossly exaggerating about Taylor or Rex.

Personally, I would like to see him back. I wouldn't freak out if they moved on, but I do think he has really gotten a lot of blame for things that shouldn't be blamed on him. I see people complaining about discipline with guys like Dareus and Hughes while they carefully ignore they have been knuckle heads their whole career before Rex...you can't always change a tigers stripes. At some point its on the players to go out and stop being stupid. People act like Rex gives them a green light to be dumb.

So I would like to see him and Lynn stay. PLEASE fired Ed Reed. Our secondary severely regressed with him as the DB coach this year. I don't know he messed their technique up or what, but he wasnt here last year and they looked better...this year they seem lost at times. So, sorry Ed...was a big fan of you in your days on the field and a big fan of giving you a shot here...just not working out.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Lol.

Laughable. It wasn't perfect. It wasn't great. It was very good and a lot better then the **** we've fielded the past two years, but carry on.

Critical junctures? Like the one against Green Bay where they got a safety to seal it?

Still the point is you don't try and fix something that isn't broken. But they bought Rexs boisterous bull ****.

My comment on the '14 defense had nothing, NOTHING, to do with anything concerning Ryan's ineptitude and I've said that since last season. What's laughable is your insistence on equating any negative mention of Schwartz's defense as some sort of endorsement of Ryan's. So try to follow:

Ryan's defense has been a huge disappointment.

Schwartz's defense was no where near as dominant as many think.

Is that easier for you to follow?

No.

You defend Rex if you like, I was done defending him the evening after the Ravens game, when the Bills came out flaccid on both sides of the ball.

That evening, I watched the Brady*-less Pats*, missing multiple starters beyond Brady*, defeat Arizona which was supposed to be a SB contender.

I hate the Pats*, I really do, but they know how to get it done.

Winners make it happen, losers make excuses, and Rex made Hopeful, Hapless

Schwartz defense was very good.

Dominant? No. How many defenses are dominant nowadays? Denver was close last year. Seattle maybe but even those defenses have their flaws and bad games.

The defense in 2014 was a top 5 defense in just about all aspects. It had some pretty average games (SD, NE, OAK) but was for the most part consistently very good.

You see people refer to the 2014 defense so much because this defense Rex is running is a **** show compared to that one. It's everything. They let their defensive coordinator and scheme go elsewhere for a blowhard con man.

Exactly right...

2014 D was solid...It's not like they had to be that good in comparison to Rex's mess over these 29 games...But good grief...

OK...They were not the 2000 Ravens...They were not as good as the Seattle Defenses we've seen over the years, or the Broncos last year...But...They were good...1st in sacks, 1st in 3rd down percentage, 3rd in yards per play, passing D, and takeaways, 4th in points per game, and 5th in 1st downs per game...They were also 11th in rushing D, and middle of the pack (14th) in rushing yards per attempt...

Not sure why anyone would want to minimize that...Especially in light of what we're seeing on Sundays now under Rex...They may not have been elite...But they were solid...And clearly if Rex had come close to maintaining that level on Defense the Bills would be looking a hell of a lot better now... B-)

No he shouldn't. I don't know how many coaches have 27 assisting coaches.

"No NFL coach can match the size of Ryan's staff of 27 assistant coaches." "Mike Tomlin on has 17" Geez Rex, 10 more coaches and you still look like the team has none.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/13/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-rexs-resources-heart-undoing/

I mean as a Head Coach, do you really need 27 assistants? I mean really, I thought we hired a HC, but it does look like the Bills in the last two years have only learned from these assistants. I'm not taking away from the fact that assistant coaches are important, just don't think we need a HC who's so lousy at coaching that he needs 27 assistants, AND has 2 straight years of regression from Doug Marrone.

Was Rex really an upgrade for the team? No. Doug Marrone went 15-17 in his two years here, with one season being a "winning" record, despite no playoffs.

BUT I MEAN COME ON! Rex is 14-15 so far. I bet if anything Doug Marrone looks like a better HC than Rex does when this season is over. This my friends, is why the Front Office should be fired. Plain and simple. It's like the same repetitive moronic decisions, one after another.

Edited by gr8billsfan

No he shouldn't. I don't know how many coaches have 27 assisting coaches.

"No NFL coach can match the size of Ryan's staff of 27 assistant coaches." "Mike Tomlin on has 17" Geez Rex, 10 more coaches and you still look like the team has none.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/13/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-rexs-resources-heart-undoing/

I mean as a Head Coach, do you really need 27 assistants? I mean really, I thought we hired a HC, but it does look like the Bills in the last two years have only learned from these assistants. I'm not taking away from the fact that assistant coaches are important, just don't think we need a HC who's so lousy at coaching that he needs 27 assistants, AND has 2 straight years of regression from Doug Marrone.

Was Rex really an upgrade for the team? No. Doug Marrone went 15-17 in his two years here, with one season being a "winning" record, despite no playoffs.

BUT I MEAN COME ON! Rex is 14-15 so far. I bet if anything Doug Marrone looks like a better HC than Rex does when this season is over. This my friends, is why the Front Office should be fired. Plain and simple. It's like the same repetitive moronic decisions, one after another.

This would be hilarious if it weren't the team I want to see win!

Anyone think if he hires another ten coaches the team might be able to beat a team with a winning QB? The really sad thing here is I don't think the owners are unhappy with thier HC hire.

Anyone think if he hires another ten coaches the team might be able to beat a team with a winning QB? The really sad thing here is I don't think the owners are unhappy with their HC hire.

That may be true. But their opinion will wane quickly if enough fans are outraged and the Pegulas realize how outraged they are. This sport is still highly political don't forget. The owners may defy the fanbase for a while, but eventually they will cave to them assuming fan opinion remains negative enough long enough. Of course that is also assuming a high enough percentage of the fanbase wants it to happen and they express that desire strongly enough. Not sure that is going to happen though. Plenty of people still want to ride the Rex train.