12-9: Doug Whaley on WGR

I am not sure it makes sense for Whaley to be doing this now. Does he think it will result in Taylor having more confidence or playing better? This could have waited until after the season. Hopefully, we can upgrade this offseason from Taylor (I understand it will be difficult), but after the season is over I will be in no mood to hear the front office pump up Jones as the potential starter next year. That would be ridiculous.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they really though?

Or are a lot of Bills fans just so gullible and thirsty for football they believe just about anything they hear from OBD?

Scott, I love ya, but come on.

Every Bills fan wants to see their team win, regardless of what OBD says or does -- it has nothing to do with being gullible. You're trying to make it sound like there is something inherently wrong about believing in your team when that team isn't really very good, which is just not true. Just like it's not true that "real" fans never criticize their teams.

Fans by definition aren't rational.

If the point of being a fan was to prove your own intelligence by only rooting for championship teams, then every single NFL fan would change their loyalties week in and week out. But they don't because being a fan of a team isn't about "falling" for a marketing trick. It's something ingrained in you (usually) from a young age.

Of course front offices are going to spin, most adults realize this. If someone gets more enjoyment out of believing their team's spin while watching them play who's to say they're doing it wrong? It's entertainment and a personal preference. Some like to Billieve, some like to gripe, but in the end they're still fans of the team.

:beer:

we are totally screwed until .......rex, russ, and doug are all gone which would get rid of these overpaid players.

Just like we were all screwed until we had a new owner right?

Whaley has us on the right track...period. This roster needs to fill a couple of holes, one may be QB but there is NOT a single GM in football that wouldn't have given Tryod the reigns this year based on his first year, not one. So you CANT fault Whaley and the Bills for doing so, the kid earned his shot. Everyone knew the deal he signed was team friendly and fair, and that if he didn't progress more this year that the team could still choose to move on. So far, Tryod has done some amazing things but also missed a lot of opportunities. Injuries didn't help, but injuries also didn't force him to not see open guys that would have been big plays and/or scores that would have impacted games.

These last 4 games are for Tyrod to earn his job next year. If he can go out and finish strong with Sammy back on the field, I think he is on this team next year. If not, then one thing Whaley has proven is that he is NOT afraid to make changes or moves to better the team. I think we start exploring other QB options.

HUGE REALITY CHECK THOUGH: For all those dying to get rid of Tyrod, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. Quality QB's are not just lying around to be scooped up. Teams keep them. Draft is a crap shoot of someone promising being available without trading up for them, or you take your chances with lesser graded QB's later in first or other rounds where MOST of them BUST. Cardale wasn't prepared to KEEP his STARTING job in college despite him being the hero of the previous season. Anyone banking on him being the savior is way ahead of themselves, he is nothing more than a project and has a big uphill battle to becoming a good starting NFL QB.

With Taylor, we know we can be competitive at the very least, and with a little better luck in the injury department next year to his weapons, we could certainly challenge for a playoff spot with Taylor. Heck he has done it now 2 years in a row, but injuries to him, Sammy, McCoy last year made us go 8-8 and all the injuries this year has us at .500 again right now, but in both seasons we were in position to challenge for the playoffs late in the season despite the injuries. We do something stupid like Houston and bring in some unproven scrub, we could severely regress as an offense and a team unless our D becomes capable of carrying us.

Just like we were all screwed until we had a new owner right?

Whaley has us on the right track...period. This roster needs to fill a couple of holes, one may be QB but there is NOT a single GM in football that wouldn't have given Tryod the reigns this year based on his first year, not one. So you CANT fault Whaley and the Bills for doing so, the kid earned his shot. Everyone knew the deal he signed was team friendly and fair, and that if he didn't progress more this year that the team could still choose to move on. So far, Tryod has done some amazing things but also missed a lot of opportunities. Injuries didn't help, but injuries also didn't force him to not see open guys that would have been big plays and/or scores that would have impacted games.

These last 4 games are for Tyrod to earn his job next year. If he can go out and finish strong with Sammy back on the field, I think he is on this team next year. If not, then one thing Whaley has proven is that he is NOT afraid to make changes or moves to better the team. I think we start exploring other QB options.

HUGE REALITY CHECK THOUGH: For all those dying to get rid of Tyrod, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. Quality QB's are not just lying around to be scooped up. Teams keep them. Draft is a crap shoot of someone promising being available without trading up for them, or you take your chances with lesser graded QB's later in first or other rounds where MOST of them BUST. Cardale wasn't prepared to KEEP his STARTING job in college despite him being the hero of the previous season. Anyone banking on him being the savior is way ahead of themselves, he is nothing more than a project and has a big uphill battle to becoming a good starting NFL QB.

With Taylor, we know we can be competitive at the very least, and with a little better luck in the injury department next year to his weapons, we could certainly challenge for a playoff spot with Taylor. Heck he has done it now 2 years in a row, but injuries to him, Sammy, McCoy last year made us go 8-8 and all the injuries this year has us at .500 again right now, but in both seasons we were in position to challenge for the playoffs late in the season despite the injuries. We do something stupid like Houston and bring in some unproven scrub, we could severely regress as an offense and a team unless our D becomes capable of carrying us.

Yet that is exactly what Tyrod was, and he is performing as such. So again what is the risk?

Yet that is exactly what Tyrod was, and he is performing as such. So again what is the risk?

What is the risk? I get you hate Tyrod like he was Hitler, but you are a complete fool if you think it can't get worse. Taylor has not been even remotely as bad as you paint him to be and honestly, I feel like you ONLY watch games to root against him. You are damn quiet when he has a good game or big moments and then run your mouth the second something doesnt go his way.

Taylor has missed opportunities, but he has also made a hell of a lot happen when there were NO opportunities and has helped us win games where other parts of this team were not getting their job done. I doubt we are even at .500 this year if Taylor had gotten hurt this year.

What is the risk? I get you hate Tyrod like he was Hitler, but you are a complete fool if you think it can't get worse. Taylor has not been even remotely as bad as you paint him to be and honestly, I feel like you ONLY watch games to root against him. You are damn quiet when he has a good game or big moments and then run your mouth the second something doesnt go his way.

Taylor has missed opportunities, but he has also made a hell of a lot happen when there were NO opportunities and has helped us win games where other parts of this team were not getting their job done. I doubt we are even at .500 this year if Taylor had gotten hurt this year.

I bet you the Bills are way over .500 with even an average, 16th in the league, pass attack.

32nd in a 32 team league just doesn't cut it.

Edited by old school

Your not going to get through here Alpha

This is someone who suggested Bryan Hoyer was a better open......Bryan Hoyer

I bet you the Bills are way over .500 with even an average, 16th in the league, pass attack.

Its easy to take that position when the scheme doesnt support a large passing attack......and the QB is throwing to street free agents most of the time.....

but hey....carry on

Your not going to get through here Alpha

This is someone who suggested Bryan Hoyer was a better open......Bryan Hoyer

Its easy to take that position when the scheme doesnt support a large passing attack......and the QB is throwing to street free agents most of the time.....

but hey....carry on

Doesn't matter one bit as they are still "WIDE OPEN". Been discussed and proven numerous times. But hey keep beating that horse.

I bet someone who doesnt have an agenda about Taylor would also know better than to focus on solely passing numbers to evaluate his production considering he does a ton of damage with his legs, which has helped this team be one of the top scoring teams in the NFL this year since we got rid of Roman.

But theres that pesky logic again, and the kind of logic that doesnt sever your grossly over exaggerated stance on Taylor...#BooooLogic

Edit: Weird, maybe if the D didn't give up so many points, averaging in the high 20's per game would be enough to win more games? Weird thought, but I guess thats all Taylors fault too.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I bet someone who doesnt have an agenda about Taylor would also know better than to focus on solely passing numbers to evaluate his production considering he does a ton of damage with his legs, which has helped this team be one of the top scoring teams in the NFL this year since we got rid of Roman.

But theres that pesky logic again, and the kind of logic that doesnt sever your grossly over exaggerated stance on Taylor...#BooooLogic

Edit: Weird, maybe if the D didn't give up so many points, averaging in the high 20's per game would be enough to win more games? Weird thought, but I guess thats all Taylors fault too.

I think that you really need a QB to be able to consistently make passing plays in the pocket. Yes, Tyrod is unique in that he can escape like no other QB in the league. But Tyrod is simply never going to get this team (or any other team) a superbowl win because he lacks that crucial part of his game. I think that part of the defenses collapse in Oakland was that they saw immediately that Taylor was toast as soon as the Raiders woke up from their slumber. The air was let out of the balloon.

Yes, this team has other issues, but the main issue is Taylor's lack of being able to deliver results in crunch time against good teams. He does still have a sliver of hope left in running the table and looking good doing it, but he hasn't given anyone reason to believe he can do that.

Edited by 1billsfan

Yup, a ton of damage with his legs and zero damage with his brain. Where has that gotten the Bills. What was that about logic!

Yeah not sustaining a drive and getting pinned on a Short Field. But hey Defense you better not give up points.

"Playing a full 60 minutes".... that line always gets me. It's not like Alabama playing Rutgers. This is the NFL. Rarely will one team dominate the other for a full 60-minutes. It's how the team handles the flow of the game when things aren't going so great. The Oakland game they just melted down and the Raiders dictated everything the last 1.5 Quarters. which led to 3 and outs and easy TD drives...

Don't be so fragile when things go bad because there will be a point in every game where the momentum changes.

Edited by zow2

I think that you really need a QB to be able to consistently make passing plays in the pocket. Yes, Tyrod is unique in that he can escape like no other QB in the league. But Tyrod is simply never going to get this team (or any other team) a superbowl win because he lacks that crucial part of his game. I think that part of the defenses collapse in Oakland was that they saw immediately that Taylor was toast as soon as the Raiders woke up from their slumber. The air was let out of the balloon.

Yes, this team has other issues, but the main issue is Taylor's lack of being able to deliver results in crunch time against good teams. He does still have a sliver of hope left in running the table and looking good doing it, but he hasn't given anyone reason to believe he can do that.

I dont necessarily disagree with you here...but at the same time, the reality of the scoreboard is that we are scoring more than enough points to win games, and its not in garbage time either. We are one of the top scoring teams in the NFL, so for people to say we can't win with Taylor who has played without quality receivers most the season is the issue.

He needs to be better, and he has missed open opportunities. But he also made plays, scores, etc that were critical in wins when there was nothing open. Tebow led a the Broncos to the playoffs and a win as the worst throwing QB in the history of the NFL. He makes Taylor look like Joe Montana. Kap led the Niners to a near SB win, and Taylor is better QB than Kap.

Again, I am not saying Taylor is our answer...he definitely needs to earn his option over these next 4 games. But at the same time, he has a winning record as the Bills QB despite having 2 games stolen from him (Seattle this year and Giants last year) by refs, had Roman screwing the O up the first 2 weeks, and has played with either hurt WR's or scrubs most the season. It hasn't nearly been all his fault. He isn't the next greatest, but he is good enough to win games...but unfortunately due to injuries and defensive struggles, he has often been asked to do a lot of it himself. Its rare to find a QB who can carry the team amidst all the other issues we have faced.

Yeah not sustaining a drive and getting pinned on a Short Field. But hey Defense you better not give up points.

Good defenses might get.. i dunno a single stop or big play with the game on the line... You get on Tyrod for the 3 and outs and missed plays, where's the same accountability for KW, the browns, hughes, or Gilmore for never getting pressure/turnovers/big plays on third downs in the 2nd half? The offense is all Tyrod's fault, and the defense is all Ryan's. Maybe these premier D players aren't that good.

speaking of Hitler , we need one of those Hitler is mad video. Hitler is mad tyrod holds on to the ball to long

This is all negotiation. My guess is that the Bills actually want Tyrod back, but for less than the $27.5 mil stipulated in the contract right now. So they want him to think that the Bills think he's expendable - force him to look at his options which probably aren't great.

I disagree. I think the Cardelle hype machine has started for a reason. It will be Jones vs what ever free agent they bring in . Glennon ?