Football Outsiders - Bills D is now ranked 21st overall

Next time Shady breaks an 80yd run we should tell him to stop short of the end zone so the defense can catch its breath. Poor guys.

If they don't want to be on the field as much, they're welcome to force the opponent into a 3 and out as well.

Poor defensive play is the offense's fault. Haven't you been reading TBD? That's why the Bills fired Roman after the defense crapped its pants against the Jets. It's part of Rex's Bizarro logic that some fans eat up.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor defensive play is the offense's fault. Haven't you been reading TBD? That's why the Bills fired Roman after the defense crapped its pants against the Jets. It's part of Rex's Bizarro logic that some fans eat up.

I'm waiting for the PC when Rex says "Look........I'm not going to get any better so we just gotta' score more points".

As I've said before.......it's time for Rex to graduate up to HC only and hire a real DC to run a good D.....and focus on being the motivational leader for this team instead of the reason for players to be discouraged.

Or just go away.

Forget Roe V Wade.......this is Rex V Wade.....time to abort this full impregnation and get back to the type of D that is working in this league.

I'm waiting for the PC when Rex says "Look........I'm not going to get any better so we just gotta' score more points".

As I've said before.......it's time for Rex to graduate up to HC only and hire a real DC to run a good D.....and focus on being the motivational leader for this team instead of the reason for players to be discouraged.

Or just go away.

Forget Roe V Wade.......this is Rex V Wade.....time to abort this full impregnation and get back to the type of D that is working in this league.

I personally like Rex and would love to have him lead us to the playoffs. Maybe he should just focus on being the HC though and leave the defensive game planning to someone else.

Edited by bobobonators

I personally like Rex and would love to have him lead us to the playoffs. Maybe he should just focus on being the HC though and leave the defensive game planning to someone else.

funny looking back that Rex was hired as a defensive guru and he talked of having the best defense of all time in the NFL and then this year it was last year's failure was because it wasn't his defense but a hybrid version. Now we see what Rex has done to our once proud defense and it is all his.

Didn't he bring his brother and others to handle the D??

The Bills haven't adapted to Rex's D because they were very good before he showed up. If they were a bad defense under Schwartz, the new scheme would be an easy sell, but they were a top 5 defense. It's like at work if your unit is performing very well and a new manager shows up and says, "No, no, no. We need to change directions." It just doesn't work. Rex should have allowed Schwartz to hang around. Whaley and the Pegula's should have known that Rex had a very different defensive philosophy and never hired him in the first place as the defense was the only strength of the team.

Didn't he bring his brother and others to handle the D??

The Bills haven't adapted to Rex's D because they were very good before he showed up. If they were a bad defense under Schwartz, the new scheme would be an easy sell, but they were a top 5 defense. It's like at work if your unit is performing very well and a new manager shows up and says, "No, no, no. We need to change directions." It just doesn't work. Rex should have allowed Schwartz to hang around. Whaley and the Pegula's should have known that Rex had a very different defensive philosophy and never hired him in the first place as the defense was the only strength of the team.

Well, his brother does red zone and third downs now right?

Well, his brother does red zone and third downs now right?

This is why they are dysfunctional and have communication problems. Different coaches handling different field situations???!!! I don't know how other teams do it, but it sounds f'd up to me.

As much as i bash Rexs lackluster coaching, I like him too and want to see him succeed. He's a very likeable guy.

At this point I don't see it happening though.

I like him too, but I'd take an a-hole like Belichick who knows how to win in a heartbeat.

The defense isn't great by any means, but it doesn't help when after they gave up a 12 play drive for a TD, that they don't have time to catch their breathe, have a cup of water, let alone make adjustments before they are back out on the field after a 3 and out or bomb TD.

I'm on this train. We need time to make adjustments and the offense collapsed and left the D hanging out to dry. Also this defense is so inconsistent it is mind-boggling. They have not created any turnovers, no big sacks or momentum altering plays other than really bad penalties on 3rd and long. They seem to fall apart on 3rd down and that has been a hallmark of the Bills D since the glory years. This defense gets rammed for big plays on a regular basis. The Bills are barely watchable and any sane fan is going to lose their marbles watching this mess on the field.

I also attribute 75+% of our problems to coaching. Rex is truly a very bad coach and does not deserve a job in the NFL. He is stealing from the Pegula's who bought his BS and let him take a playoff roster and turn it into a top 10 draft position. SICK!!!

Edited by BillsRdue

As much as i bash Rexs lackluster coaching, I like him too and want to see him succeed. He's a very likeable guy.

At this point I don't see it happening though.

I thought the head coaching job he did with the 2013 Jets excellent. His best work, actually.

In terms of sideline work.....he's average. He makes mistakes and he had a rough game against the Chiefs last year but there are worse and he might be better at it if he weren't so involved with the defense.

He needs to cut bait with his D......it's taking him down.

Nobody cares about his D anymore.......there is zero concern about it from the opposition......he's turning into Gunther Cunningham........the "didn't he used to be a good DC" guy.

I thought the head coaching job he did with the 2013 Jets excellent. His best work, actually.

In terms of sideline work.....he's average. He makes mistakes and he had a rough game against the Chiefs last year but there are worse and he might be better at it if he weren't so involved with the defense.

Nobody cares about his D anymore.......there is zero concern about it from the opposition......he's turning into Gunther Cunningham........the "didn't he used to be a good DC" guy.

Whenever i hear the commentators refer to the "exotic blitzes" under Rex's scheme and how they confuse opposing QBs I vomit in my mouth a little. Edited by bobobonators

Big Cat should be here to tell us this is due to AW being out any minute now....

And Searcy!!!!!

This is exactly what I see with Rex and I find it sad because I do think he could be a strong motivational leader if he just turned over the defense completely. He is too invested in seeing a particular system work that it is preventing his team from succeeding.

And I believe he cares deeply about the players, management and even the fans. The problem is that he cares more about his stupid defensive scheme. Let it go Rex. Turn over the defense completely and be the HC. I really believe we could win if he did this.

Or just go away.

Lol - good one!

The fourth-ranked defense in 2014; why have we fallen? A failed organization!

Second, actually, according to FO's metric.

Re: Rex abandoning the defense to someone else--I can only go back to the old fable.

The Scorpion and the Frog

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the

scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The

frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion

says, "Because if I do, I will die too."

The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream,

the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of

paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown,

but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"

Replies the scorpion: "Its my nature."

Rex's nature ain't changing.

Edited by dave mcbride

Schwartz beats up halfway decent teams, often by injuring really good football players. He then gets torched by the really good teams. A worse Oakland team beat him with playoffs on the line.

6 losses, Baltimore, Jets, Dolphins, Patriots, Seattle, Oakland. All of them come down to pass defense. D-Line is starting to bat down balls. That takes away the quick passing. Now we just need a mid to deep zone defense that can protect against area throws.

What's easier to do? Find a pass defender in the NFL, or gut a team and start on another 3 year rebuild that everyone will give up on in year 2?

This is closer to the eyeball test. They are a bottom third defense. Some of the other rankings are definitely skewed by the quality of offenses they played......including a shutout of a thoroughly helpless Pats offense in NE.....so the 29th rank collectively makes sense.

This defense has been a whopping disappointment.

It's easy to blame the QB for the teams results......it's hard to resist, in fact.......but they are scoring points on offense.

Totally agree. I dread every game against a good QB. The pass rush has dropped off dramatically, there are almost no turnovers created, good backs gash them (especially in first halves it seems) and they still can't cover a tight end (how many years has this been going on for...it's amazing).

Agree 100% with this.

Schwartz beats up halfway decent teams, often by injuring really good football players. He then gets torched by the really good teams. A worse Oakland team beat him with playoffs on the line.

6 losses, Baltimore, Jets, Dolphins, Patriots, Seattle, Oakland. All of them come down to pass defense. D-Line is starting to bat down balls. That takes away the quick passing. Now we just need a mid to deep zone defense that can protect against area throws.

What's easier to do? Find a pass defender in the NFL, or gut a team and start on another 3 year rebuild that everyone will give up on in year 2?

What?! So you think Rex will change his philosophy to go to a zone? He likes his cb's on an island. If he was flexible, he wouldn't have screwed up the defense he inherited. It's his way or nothing. So far it's been his way AND nothing.