If Rex and Whaley are still here...

Watkins101

Do you think building a team excludes getting the best talent available (if that's the case), filling an obvious need and protecting against losing Sammy in a couple years? Yes, we have other needs as well (S, RT, CB, etc), but if you've been watching we're a bit thin at WR, as in we're almost wiped out. And Woods will be leaving. It sucks when you get a boat load of injuries all at the same position! (Like RB last year.)

I understand that we are thin at WR, but WR draft classes are generally deep. Good talent can be found in the mid rounds. Sammy is supposed to be the elite high round pick who fills the number one WR role. We can find a number two WR a little later. We don't need to be flashy, we could go with o line. Then again picking a first round non skill position guy seems to be very un Bills like. As far as Sammy leaving, that isn't something I'd worry about. In this league you don't have the luxury of drafting out of concern over who might leave in a few years. If they are really valuable they will be resigned anyway. Especially a number one WR like Sammy is supposed to be. I have just picked up on a lot of trends during our years of futility such as: Reaching for QB's, Drafting too many corners in high rounds, too many RB's and high round receivers while mostly ignoring the trenches. We also don't have anyone to throw to Mike Williams anyway.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a believer in, among other things, drafting the best player available (note I said IF he's the BPA), and planning ahead. I'm hoping we can get some help at S and RT in FA, then draft some more. The QB question is one every team asks until they get theirs. You have to really suck, draft high and pray you get lucky, or draft one later and get Lotto-style lucky. Anyone who says they have the answer here is suspect - it's not that easy. If we had a Franchise QB, we'd all have to try a lot harder to find things to complain about.

If Rex and Whaley are still here next year, and im sure they will be, it will be very difficult to get enthusiastic about next season.

It would be that much more difficult if they take a freakin WR in the first round.

They need to do something bold and proactive this year, not reactionary, and go for best player available with their picks. Not for posiional need.

Be different this year, stop acting like theyre trying to sell "product" to the fans, stop trying to "move inventory"

Just build a gotdang good football team...

I think the 4th Mike Williams is going to be awesome!

I actually do think he is a good player but the last thing the Bills need to spend a high pick on is a receiver. The Bills could have Julio Jones across from Sammy with Gronk at TE and I don't think it would matter.

Well you say that, but interestingly, you don't need "to throw open" Gronk or Julio. They just are. That would help a guy who can't throw with anticipation right?

Yes only one problem....they don't know how. Lol.

They know how to market. They are in over their heads when it comes to football related decisions and building a winner.

I know. Its sad. Theres no vision in our FO. Its like they have no clue what kind of team they want, what type of personality the team should have. They are always trying to plug holes, or make a splash or something.

To make matters worse, Whaley dosent seem to have any real power, hes just gonna have to do whatever Ryan tells him to do.

A powerful GM gets as talented of players as he can get, and if the FO is in sync, the coach develops a scheme to go out and win with the players hes been provided. Ryan SHOULD have no business telling Whaley who to draft, or what position to draft. Ryan SHOULD have no business calling the owner... But this is the Bills.

Im done with my rant.

Not sure why Woods would leave. Bills will make him a good offer, and we need durable WR's so I expect it will be a solid offer.

I'm all for drafting a WR in the first but please make it a guy that isn't made of glass. Give me a Josh Reed, Randall Cobb, Golden Tate type body please-- no string beans and no Goodwin clones-

We need wideouts that will be playing all year-

If Rex and Whaley are still here next year, and im sure they will be, it will be very difficult to get enthusiastic about next season.

It would be that much more difficult if they take a freakin WR in the first round.

They need to do something bold and proactive this year, not reactionary, and go for best player available with their picks. Not for posiional need.

Be different this year, stop acting like theyre trying to sell "product" to the fans, stop trying to "move inventory"

Just build a gotdang good football team...

How do you know a WR wouldn't be the best player available with their first pick? Too early for any of us to say what they should or shouldn't take at this point. We know what they need, which includes WR. We don't know how the draft will play out or how players will be viewed by the time they get through the combine/pro days/interviews.

Do you think building a team excludes getting the best talent available (if that's the case), filling an obvious need and protecting against losing Sammy in a couple years? Yes, we have other needs as well (S, RT, CB, etc), but if you've been watching we're a bit thin at WR, as in we're almost wiped out. And Woods will be leaving. It sucks when you get a boat load of injuries all at the same position! (Like RB last year.)

So, they'll be likely drafting a WR to replace one that leaves and drafting a safety to replace a safety (Aaron Williams) that will probably retire. They'll need to use free agency to actually improve the team other than individual player improvement.

Not sure why Woods would leave. Bills will make him a good offer, and we need durable WR's so I expect it will be a solid offer.

I'm all for drafting a WR in the first but please make it a guy that isn't made of glass. Give me a Josh Reed, Randall Cobb, Golden Tate type body please-- no string beans and no Goodwin clones-

We need wideouts that will be playing all year-

I would like to see them re-sign Woods too. But he will be able to make a good payday come this spring. Will the Bills pay him what the going rate will be for someone with Woods' production? And Woods might want a chance to play in an offense that is not predicated on running the rock so much. I'm sure he would like the opportunity to catch more passes.

How do you know a WR wouldn't be the best player available with their first pick? Too early for any of us to say what they should or shouldn't take at this point. We know what they need, which includes WR. We don't know how the draft will play out or how players will be viewed by the time they get through the combine/pro days/interviews.

Seems foolish to dump more resources into a second elite WR when we dont have much of a passing game, or a passer to get him the ball.

Keep Bob Woods and move on from the reciever position. See what we can get out of Listenbee, as well.