If Rex and Whaley are still here...

Watkins101

Yeah Rob Ryan sure ruined that Saints defense. They were so good before he got there and so much better since he left.

They improved by 5 spots this year and give up about 40 less yards/ game this year.

Well you say that, but interestingly, you don't need "to throw open" Gronk or Julio. They just are. That would help a guy who can't throw with anticipation right?

Fair point. But both of those guys play with 2 of the most accurate qbs in the NFL so it's not like every pass they catch is just a prayer.

The Steelers rarely draft a receiver high yet have found guys like Mike Wallace, Hines Ward, Antonio Bryant, High Bryant, etc in later rounds. Good qbs makes WRs and they can be found later in the draft.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They improved by 5 spots this year and give up about 40 less yards/ game this year.

Fair point. But both of those guys play with 2 of the most accurate qbs in the NFL so it's not like every pass they catch is just a prayer.

The Steelers rarely draft a receiver high yet have found guys like Mike Wallace, Hines Ward, Antonio Bryant, High Bryant, etc in later rounds. Good qbs makes WRs and they can be found later in the draft.

You are definitely right about receivers. That's why drafting a guy like Mike Williams would drive me crazy. The Steelers are a consistently successful franchise who never make draft picks to be flashy. We are stuck in a long playoff drought and seem to love making flashy picks. I understand the best player available method, but I like the idea of constructing a cohesive team better. Of course we probably need to find a QB, but let's wisely make the pick when a good prospect falls to us. Until then let's not go crazy drafting receivers. That isn't going to solve our issues on offense either. You can find solid guys in later rounds. When we do draft those guys please stop drafting these project players. We need to pick soild all around receivers. Not just Whaley's speed guys like Goodwin and Listenbee. One dimensional players who excel in college, but struggle in the pros. I learned all I need to know about burning early round picks on receivers from Matt Millen in Detroit. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Seems foolish to dump more resources into a second elite WR when we dont have much of a passing game, or a passer to get him the ball.

Keep Bob Woods and move on from the reciever position. See what we can get out of Listenbee, as well.

It's the same foolishness this team has demonstrated since the playoff drought begun. We let guys go because "they aren't good enough" only to be forced to replace a need that the team created. The other thing this team does is draft guys at positions where there isn't a need for the sake of "best player available". I don't believe these are things an average team can afford to do. We miss the playoffs every year because this team consistently lacks at certain positions. As far as Listenbee, I don't have a lot of confidence in him ever contributing much, but Whaley liked him so he should consider him part of the equation next season.

I think the 4th Mike Williams is going to be awesome!

I actually do think he is a good player but the last thing the Bills need to spend a high pick on is a receiver. The Bills could have Julio Jones across from Sammy with Gronk at TE and I don't think it would matter.

Too bad we can't spend a high pick on a coach.

To be fair - the last time New Orleans made the playoffs, rob ryan was the DC. The D was ranked 4th in points and yards.

If Whaley and Rex are still here, I'd rather they draft a safety in the first round.

Rex isn't going to run a pass heavy offense that takes advantage of a 1st round receiver, even if the Bills have a competent receiver.

Rather than spend a 1st round pick on a guy who's going to see four targets a game, running only streaks and curls, they should draft a guy to help Rex figure out his defense.

Who? The fans?

IMO they'll get to the playoffs when they bring in some better talent evaluators and decision makers or if they get lucky with a QB. Until then, expect more of the same mediocre, inconsistent Bills football.

Well....obviously the fans discuss it....up to the bills brass to do it

I just think that we have done enough D heavy drafts and need to start putting resources to the offensive side of the ball

Advocating for the drafting of a WR to presumably replace Woods on this team is Millen-esque.

Safety and WR are the two biggest holes on the roster. They need to address both positions in the draft and FA regardless of whether or not they resign Woods (whom I hope they do resign). I don't think it's Millen-esque to address the holes in your roster.

Advocating for the drafting of a WR to presumably replace Woods on this team is Millen-esque.

Yep, let's create a need where we don't have to. That way we can neglect another part of the team. That has worked so well over the years. We were thin at WR this season, but you have to assume Sammy will be healthy. If you bring Woods back then you can draft a mid round guy. Some of these posts made me think of Millen too. As great as Calvin Johnson turned out to be look where the Lions are now. You have to build a team.

Safety and WR are the two biggest holes on the roster. They need to address both positions in the draft and FA regardless of whether or not they resign Woods (whom I hope they do resign). I don't think it's Millen-esque to address the holes in your roster.

I don't think it's Millen-esque to draft a WR next year. It would just be Millen like to take a first round receiver. We already sold the farm for Sammy a couple years ago. He should be the number one. We need a complimentary number two if you don't believe Woods can do that. We don't need to draft a number one receiver.