What does keeping Rex a 3rd year accomplish?

Yeezus

Mid-level starter money for a starter of unknown quality (rookie QB) and one of the best backups in the league.

Who is this person we're going to find that has his game and is cheaper?

Is it really hard to replace the Dead Last Passing team in the NFL.

Hoyer there for 5M

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with this because I think Tyrod's running ability opens up the run game. If you put someone back there that can't run and can't pass (say, FA QB Mark Sanchez), the O scheme falters.

I'm okay with Rex / Whaley basically wanting to do 1 of 2 scenarios:

1.) Don't pick up Tyrod's option, make sure you draft a round 1 QB to be the starter (even if you have to trade up to get him).

2.) Pick up Tyrod's option, add a decently high QB (say, round 2-3) for competition, and have an open contest in training camp between the 3 QBs. This would be reliant on Cardale showing progressing in practices (hard for us to see).

Tyrod's option just doesn't cost that much $$$ for a QB in today's NFL and rookie salaries are nothing. They can afford to pick it up and give themselves options. The one thing they can't do is not address the QB position by failing to bring another option.

In my opinion the sentiment should be "If Rex/Whaley don't want to spend significant resources on bringing in an additional QB for next year, they should be relieved of their duties".

Tyrod's running ability most certainly bolsters the rush attach.

Know what else would? A competent passing game.

I'll happily swap the two.

In the reality of the NFL, the QB is the only thing that matters. Coaching is second on the list. Bad QBs make bad coaches. Good QBs make good coaches. Look no further than Jack Del Rio, he got run out of Jacksonville because his teams sucked with Byron Leftwich, David Garrard, and Blaine Gabbert (he got fired I think Gabbert's rookie year). He had two winning records in 9 seasons. He was 68-71 there. He was a defensive genius, supposedly. But you don't win in this league with great defenses and medioce QBs. He goes to Oakland and he 7-9 and 10-2 with what appears to be an excellent QB. Did he get better as a coach? Or did he get a superior QB this time?

I'm so sick of the coaching complaints, the "fire XX" after two years and start over chant. It hasn't worked for 17 years through a mountain coaches for one reason and one reason only.... bad QBs get coaches fired.

Taylor killed the defense in the second half last night. He went I think 3 and out three straight times after Oakland closed it to 8. I think the fourth series was the INT. So he couldn't make a single throw to keep the team moving and instead put the tired defense back on the field. Yes, you need stops here and there but if you don't get them, it's bad sign when your QB can never, ever come through.

I'll continue to say "Who's the QB?" for everyone who calls for Rex's head. You think new coaches will fix Tyrod? Were Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Trent Edwards and any of the other horribly flawed QBs we had in the past who went to other teams suddenly "fixed" by different coaches or did they suck just as bad under new management.

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Hoyer there for 5M

We're going to replace a ****ty passer who can run with a ****ty passer who can't run.

And you think that is a good use of resource?

Absolutely. As poor as Tyrod has been, there is not one QB available this year that I would rather have in FA, and I sure as hell don't want my QB situation to look like what the Rams did this year.

Tyrod's running ability most certainly bolsters the rush attach.

Know what else would? A competent passing game.

I'll happily swap the two.

Me too, which is why I said the sentiment should be "If Rex/Whaley don't want to spend significant resources on bringing in an additional QB for next year, they should be relieved of their duties".

Me too, which is why I said the sentiment should be "If Rex/Whaley don't want to spend significant resources on bringing in an additional QB for next year, they should be relieved of their duties".

Agreed. But you can only go with what's available. Fortunately for Buffalo, it can't get much worse at quarterback. It really can't. The only thing worse than TT is a guy whose production is as low and a guy who turns the ball over.

But if turnovers are the trade off for throwing the ball in rhythm, having pocket presence, letting your receivers make a play and forcing opposing defenses to respect the passing game just a little bit, it's a net gain for the Bills.

Look no further than Jack Del Rio, he got run out of Jacksonville because his teams sucked with Byron Leftwich, David Garrard, and Blaine Gabbert (he got fired I think Gabbert's rookie year). He had two winning records in 9 seasons.

Not exactly true. In his 8 full seasons he had 3 winning seasons (2 play-offs 1 non-play-offs), 2 seasons at .500 and 3 losing seasons and was 65-63. When 11 games into his 9th season he was 3-8 and heading for a 4th losing season in 9 he was ditched. I think Del Rio did a pretty solid job for a while in Jacksonville without outstanding QB play and I think the team gave him the right amount of time and benefit of the doubt. Did not having a true franchise Quarterback ultimately lead to his demise? Sure.... but only after 3 winning seasons and two double digit win seasons. Both of his play-off losses came to New England.

Rex Ryan needs 3 of the next 4 to avoid going SEVEN seasons without rising above .500. At some point you are what your record says you are.

Not exactly true. In his 8 full seasons he had 3 winning seasons (2 play-offs 1 non-play-offs), 2 seasons at .500 and 3 losing seasons and was 65-63. When 11 games into his 9th season he was 3-8 and heading for a 4th losing season in 9 he was ditched. I think Del Rio did a pretty solid job for a while in Jacksonville without outstanding QB play and I think the team gave him the right amount of time and benefit of the doubt. Did not having a true franchise Quarterback ultimately lead to his demise? Sure.... but only after 3 winning seasons and two double digit win seasons. Both of his play-off losses came to New England.

Rex Ryan needs 3 of the next 4 to avoid going SEVEN seasons without rising above .500. At some point you are what your record says you are.

Yep. And Rex has won between 6 and 9 games 75% of his 8 year NFL HC career.

Edited by The Thurmanator

What will keeping Rex Ryan a 3rd year accomplish?

More frustration for the fan base!!

As someone else said the team won't find a top QB in the draft because they need those first three picks for the defense again this year. Even if the current Buffalo Bills scouts could properly evaluate a college player at QB who is to say the GM would want to draft him? Look at all the QB's the Bills passed on because they took EJ.

Derek Carr was a second rounder and now looking like a great pocket passing elite franchise QB. Too bad the Bills were so busy trading up for a glass WR that they could have stayed at #9 and taken all pro's LBer Anthony Barr, WR Odell Beckham Jr, DT Aaron Doland, OG Zack Martin, LBer CJ Mosley and traded up for QB's Carr or Bridgewater.

If I'm Terry Pegula I'd blow up this entire org and hire a team president that knows who to hire as quality scouts, coaches, trainers, doctors. Anything else is just the same old refried crap.

I'm embarrassed to say I thought signing Rex would be a good idea. The part that kills me is the defense not working. The overall concept of the team wasn't bad, they were looking to be an even more run heavy team that Seattle I think. The defense has been a huge disappointment. Injuries or not Rex has a lot to explain with the D not working. They should have changed the defensive strategy when they saw how bad the teams safeties are. Rex is not flexible enough to be an effective NFL coach.

I think you have to let him go on the basis of the Defense. Where to go from there, I'm not sure. I wanted continuity but I'm convinced that keeping the current regime would be bad continuity and no playoffs again.

I'm embarrassed to say I thought signing Rex would be a good idea. The part that kills me is the defense not working. The overall concept of the team wasn't bad, they were looking to be an even more run heavy team that Seattle I think. The defense has been a huge disappointment. Injuries or not Rex has a lot to explain with the D not working. They should have changed the defensive strategy when they saw how bad the teams safeties are. Rex is not flexible enough to be an effective NFL coach.

I think you have to let him go on the basis of the Defense. Where to go from there, I'm not sure. I wanted continuity but I'm convinced that keeping the current regime would be bad continuity and no playoffs again.

I think all Rex has to do to be a good NFL head coach is to turn the reins of the defense completely over to someone else and be a HEAD COACH. His problem is that he thinks he is a defensive genius and that is what he cares about. There are probably all sorts of psychological issues involved. He understands one defense that does not work anymore. He is not a defensive genius. He is absolutely blessed with being a strong communicator and a likable guy. Those are important traits. Play to your strengths and admit your weaknesses Rex.

What exactly does this accomplish. Why do we need stability?? You keep coaches who show progress. Rex has showed ZERO progress from 2015 to 2016.

Knowing this franchise they will end up keeping him and He will prob end up getting fired mid season or end of year. Whaley will go with him and we start over again.

The future of this franchise looks as bleak as ever right now honestly, it's so depressing. We have some talent but not good enough as the rest of the top teams in the league.

Tyrod can't play QB, Rex and his staff are awful, and Whaley has failed to properly fields successful roster

It's easy. As long as he generates enough excitement and blows enough smoke up enough current/future season ticket holders' asses to make them want to buy more, his employment will be secure.

Agreed. But you can only go with what's available. Fortunately for Buffalo, it can't get much worse at quarterback. It really can't. The only thing worse than TT is a guy whose production is as low and a guy who turns the ball over.

But if turnovers are the trade off for throwing the ball in rhythm, having pocket presence, letting your receivers make a play and forcing opposing defenses to respect the passing game just a little bit, it's a net gain for the Bills.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

That's the issue. Cousins won't be a FA. Outside of him, anyone that's available is a steaming pile of **** that can't pass or run. At least Tyrod can run. There's zero other options right now than to draft a QB high and either give him full control of the O or pick up Tyrod's option and have them compete against each other. It's ugly.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

That's the issue. Cousins won't be a FA. Outside of him, anyone that's available is a steaming pile of **** that can't pass or run. At least Tyrod can run. There's zero other options right now than to draft a QB high and either give him full control of the O or pick up Tyrod's option and have them compete against each other. It's ugly.

Case Keenum and Brian Hoyer could both run a more effective passing attack than Tyrod. And neither of them would compromise our rushing attack severely enough to offset the dimension they can add throwing the ball.

Hoyer there for 5M

Exactly. So many people here are afraid to want any changes. Why in the world does anyone care about continuity, with the QB, the head coach or even the GM. This team has done NOTHING in 17 years. People act like this franchise has something to lose or could go backwards. There is zero difference between 4-12 and 8-8 or even 9-7. None of these records gets you to the playoffs let alone the Super Bowl. The team needs major changes. Pegula won't do it. Not this year.

Tyrod is terrible. He is AFRAID to throw the football down the field. And when he does throw it, it is almost never accurate. Anyone who has watched him play can see that. He has hit his ceiling, and it is very low. Very disappointing having such a strong running game with Shady and Gillislee, and still not being able to compete w the big boys.

That being said, the Defense was a disaster in the second half yesterday and completely tanked. Not often you see a team blow a 24-9 lead after scoring two TD's to start the second half. They did nothing to stop the Raiders offense in the second half. Don't see a lot of meanness on the defense. Can't give up 4 straight TD drives at any level. Rex had no answer and needs to be removed as coach. He doesn't have the smarts to adjust on the fly and out scheme anyone.

Get rid of Tyrod. He can't pass the football. Makes Vick look like a combination of Marino and Fouts. He will never get better then he is now. He doesn't see the field and can't find open receivers. It is time to move on. Give Cardelle a chance. Has WAY more upside than Tyrod. Draft a guy and bring in a veteran also. Tyrod had his chance. He hit his ceiling. We will never make the playoffs with him at QB.

As for the Defense. Bring in some safety's who can hit. Bring in some CB's who will contest throws. Bring in some meanness up front. Maybe its time to say goodbye to Hughes and Kyle. And if you can find a fair trade partner for Dareus, by all means. When your D is this porous game after game, noone's job should be safe. If we have to blow the whole thing up, by all means. We are not getting above mediocrity with this group on both sides of the ball, and this coaching staff. Need a change in mentality quickly.

Case Keenum and Brian Hoyer could both run a more effective passing attack than Tyrod. And neither of them would compromise our rushing attack severely enough to offset the dimension they can add throwing the ball.

Keenum is an even worse passer than Tyrod and behind him in just about every statistical passing category, and the Rams have Gurley and can't run the ball. Keenum would be an unmitigated disaster worse than Tyrod.

Tyrod career completion %, TD %, INT %, QB Rating, AY/A, Y/A are all higher. The only argument I really see here is that he continues his hot streak from his games with Chicago into next season with a new team, and that's a complete gamble, and you lose the running.

I have zero faith either of them could run a more effective passing attack than Tyrod.