What does keeping Rex a 3rd year accomplish?

Yeezus

I'm not sure what it accomplishes at this stage. I will say this - I do believe Rex Ryan has done a better job coaching this team this year than last year. I liked the decisiveness over the OC, I like that he has taken a step back and tried to be more of a Head Coach rather than a jumped up DC, I think we have had a lot of adversity and BEFORE yesterday, despite all the adversity we have had this year, he had kept the team playing hard in every game with no quit. Yesterday, however, I saw quit on both sides of the ball in the 4th Quarter. I saw a defense that had lost faith in what they were being asked to do and an offense that put bluntly had lost faith in its Quarterback.

The facts now are this:

- the defense he promised would lead the league remains inconsistent and whilst better than last year is hovering around top 10/12 in the league and is playing small in some big moments;

- his handpicked Quarterback has flamed out;

- he isn't likely to re-think the structure of the team in the offseason. He is stubborn - he is going to run his scheme and he is going to appoint OCs who are run first. There will be no improvement here from a schematic re-think. What we have is what Rex Ryan runs and that isn't changing;

- he needs to win 3 of the next 4 to avoid a SEVENTH consecutive year of .500 or less as a Head Coach.

I am not ready to call for Rex's head this year quite yet.... I want to see how the team responds next week and how the last 4 play out - but if either Rex Ryan or Doug Whaley want to team to take up Tyrod Taylor's option then the should not be in their jobs next year. Another year of Rex Ryan hurts us for 1 year. Another year of Tyrod on this deal hurts us for 3.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not ready to call for Rex's head this year quite yet.... I want to see how the team responds next week and how the last 4 play out - but if either Rex Ryan or Doug Whaley want to team to take up Tyrod Taylor's option then the should not be in their jobs next year. Another year of Rex Ryan hurts us for 1 year. Another year of Tyrod on this deal hurts us for 3.

Who is going to play QB next year?

zerp progress is what you get witjhout a qb. The fact that this team with all it's injuries and truly horrible qb play wins 8 games is a testament to the job Whaley and Rex have done. Neither is perfect but they are at worst better then the average. It wasn't that long ago before Buddy came in when it was Russ and Dick Jouron when the team was devoid of talent. Chan's first year looked like an expansion team . Find a qb win more games it is that simple , problem it ain;t that simple to find one

Who is going to play QB next year?

Someone we are not paying $16m for bottom end production, and someone we are not tied to courtesy of a large dead cap hit if we choose to move on after next season.

If that means we finish 6-10 rather than 8-8 so be it.

Anyone. We can be 8-8ish with ANYONE under center.

I disagree with this because I think Tyrod's running ability opens up the run game. If you put someone back there that can't run and can't pass (say, FA QB Mark Sanchez), the O scheme falters.

I'm okay with Rex / Whaley basically wanting to do 1 of 2 scenarios:

1.) Don't pick up Tyrod's option, make sure you draft a round 1 QB to be the starter (even if you have to trade up to get him).

2.) Pick up Tyrod's option, add a decently high QB (say, round 2-3) for competition, and have an open contest in training camp between the 3 QBs. This would be reliant on Cardale showing progressing in practices (hard for us to see).

Tyrod's option just doesn't cost that much $$$ for a QB in today's NFL and rookie salaries are nothing. They can afford to pick it up and give themselves options. The one thing they can't do is not address the QB position by failing to bring another option.

In my opinion the sentiment should be "If Rex/Whaley don't want to spend significant resources on bringing in an additional QB for next year, they should be relieved of their duties".

Edited by Chilly

Tyrod's option just doesn't cost that much $$$ for a QB in today's NFL and rookie salaries are nothing.

Wrong. His option doesn't cost that much for a FRANCHISE Quarterback. Tyrod isn't a Franchise Quarterback - he is a caretaker. The only non-Franchise QBs that would be paid more than him next year are:

Kaepernick (and that isn't happening that deal has opt outs that will be taken)

Osweiler (ask the Texans how that is working out for them)

Bradford (the Vikings didn't sign that deal and they only trade for him because their starter did his ACL the week before the seasons started)

Cutler (that also won't happen - the Bears have a relatively easy out this offseason)

So let's look at what the actual caretaker QBs around the league (who signed to be starters not including people who signed to be backups) are due in 2017:

Fitzpatrick - $5m

RGIII - $9.25

McCown - $5m

They are the people we should be comparing Tyrod's deal to. Not guys who teams view as long term starters. If the Bills view Tyrod as their long term starter after this season then I give up.

I'm just sick of carefree attitude Rex has in the press conference how come no one asks the tough questions and when they kind a do he blows them off here is the bills favorite response "we have to get better" no @$#t!dumbass

We are now in "let's see how this plays out" territory with Tyrod which is what he was saying last year about the defense. I am all for letting things play out.... so long as when the answer stares you in the face you face up to the inconvenient truth.

Wrong. His option doesn't cost that much for a FRANCHISE Quarterback. Tyrod isn't a Franchise Quarterback - he is a caretaker. The only non-Franchise QBs that would be paid more than him next year are:

Kaepernick (and that isn't happening that deal has opt outs that will be taken)

Osweiler (ask the Texans how that is working out for them)

Bradford (the Vikings didn't sign that deal and they only trade for him because their starter did his ACL the week before the seasons started)

Cutler (that also won't happen - the Bears have a relatively easy out this offseason)

So let's look at what the actual caretaker QBs around the league (who signed to be starters not including people who signed to be backups) are due in 2017:

Fitzpatrick - $5m

RGIII - $9.25

McCown - $5m

They are the people we should be comparing Tyrod's deal to. Not guys who teams view as long term starters. If the Bills view Tyrod as their long term starter after this season then I give up.

Tyrod's deal is easily cuttable after 2018. If they draft a 1st round QB in the 2017 NFL draft, at 11 million for 4 years for a rookie QB, the cap hits for the two together would be:

2017: 18.75 mil cap hit, rank #16 Starting QB in NFL

2018: 19 mil cap hit, rank #16 Starting QB in NFL

2019 (Tyrod Cut): 12.8 mil

2020: 9.15 mil

That would put the total cap hit for 2 QBs, a starter and a backup that you know you can handle it, at mid-level starting QB money for the NFL until he's cut, and then you free up pretty significant space.

Edited by Chilly

Rex or any other HC the Bills might hire will need a QB. Make all of the changes you want, but until the QB issue is solved the situation will not improve.

I agree but John Elway might not be able to keep up with the scoring pace the defense allows and will continue to allow. Plus we can't get a QB because we have to spend our top 3 draft picks on defense again.

That would put the total cap hit for 2 QBs, a starter and a backup that you know you can handle it, at mid-level starting QB money for the NFL until he's cut, and then you free up pretty significant space.

Exactly. Mid-level starter money for bottom third of the league play. I'll pass.

Tyrod's deal is easily cuttable after 2018. If they draft a 1st round QB in the 2017 NFL draft, at 11 million for 4 years for a rookie QB, the cap hits for the two together would be:

2017: 18.75 mil cap hit, rank #16 Starting QB in NFL

2018: 19 mil cap hit, rank #16 Starting QB in NFL

2019 (Tyrod Cut): 12.8 mil

2020: 9.15 mil

Don't pick up the option. And free the money up now. He is not good enough and flawed. You can find his game cheaper

Exactly. Mid-level starter money for bottom third of the league play. I'll pass.

Mid-level starter money for a starter of unknown quality (rookie QB) and one of the best backups in the league.

Don't pick up the option. And free the money up now. He is not good enough and flawed. You can find his game cheaper

Who is this person we're going to find that has his game and is cheaper?

Edited by Chilly