Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

Totally missed this somehow. I'll assume everything came out great, yes?

It did! Did two separate ones..but even with your warning and halving the salt, still too salty LOL. So need to cut way back!

But now when chuck goes on sale, easy to but, vacuum, freeze, and a great dinner.

BTW, mine was in the water for about 24 hrs.

It did! Did two separate ones..but even with your warning and halving the salt, still too salty LOL. So need to cut way back!

But now when chuck goes on sale, easy to but, vacuum, freeze, and a great dinner.

BTW, mine was in the water for about 24 hrs.

Salt aside, it's amazing how the sous vide turns that relatively less expensive meat into a great cut.

Okay folks, Kroger had rack of pork on sale today, so that is dinner tomorrow. Anyone have ideas? Not much on the web. I do have it brining now.

Most things i see say only 2-3 hours at 142. I think I will sear first again, then sous vide, then re-sear when it comes out. I have a nice cheery-port sauce I make that I usually use with rack of pork, so will use that unless someone has a better idea..i am all ears!

Okay folks, Kroger had rack of pork on sale today, so that is dinner tomorrow. Anyone have ideas? Not much on the web. I do have it brining now.

Most things i see say only 2-3 hours at 142. I think I will sear first again, then sous vide, then re-sear when it comes out. I have a nice cheery-port sauce I make that I usually use with rack of pork, so will use that unless someone has a better idea..i am all ears!

Sounds about right I never sear pre though I also recommend to double bag meats just in case. Had an instance with short ribs where the bag broke. This is my go to site. Good luck.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/sous-vide-pork-chops-recipe.html

Pork came out great. 4 1/2 pound rib roast.

I brined it for about 18 hours, in fridge for about 3 hours to try and get as dry as possible, pre-seared , did some thyme and garlic in the pan for 30 seconds then into the bag as well. In the water for 3 hours at 145.Added Quick sear again when it came out. Served with a cherry portsaucee that does not require any fond etc.

Excellent!!! Will say I think the brine was needed.

So my wife didn't get the hint and I didn't get the avona for

My birthday. So I guess I will continue to lurk here until I pull the trigger and buy it myself.

I did get a spaetzle maker of all things for my birthday and made a mean batch last night!

Maybe you should work on your hinting skills?

Happy birthday, and you have my permission to just go ahead and pull the trigger!

My birthday. So I guess I will continue to lurk here until I pull the trigger and buy it myself.

I did get a spaetzle maker of all things for my birthday and made a mean batch last night!

Time to take matters into your own hands - so to speak. :blush:

Next big event - her Bday, your Anniversary, whatever... get one as a present for her.

As I mentioned up thread, I got the Joule for Christmas. So far, so good.

1) Rib eye steaks: Steaks had perfect doneness. I seared on the stove. Next time, I will do it on the Big Green Egg.

2) Chicken breasts (Costco/Kirkland): I made chicken breasts for dinner last night. Again, perfect doneness. I seared on the stove afterward. These were as good as I have made.

3) Bacon (Costco/Kirkland center cut/thick): I cooked overnight for about 14 hours at 147 degrees. According to the recipe, you can cook them anywhere from 8 to 48 hours. I was able to cook in the original packaging, which made it easier. When I took them out of the bag this morning, I seared them on one side as recommended in the recipe. Perfect combination of crunchy on one side and meaty on the other.

I have been cooking in a pot so far. I went ahead and ordered the 3 gallon Lipavi sous vide container, corresponding lid, and the rack on Amazon. The lid and rack arrived on Saturday, but the container does not arrive until sometime today. I am not sure the container is going to be big enough for the larger things I may want to cook, but I think it will be satisfactory for every day stuff. I suspect that I will have more flexibility than cooking in a round pot.

Edited by Peter

Same here, man. No Anova for me. Will go shopping soon.

ok, what features, ie wattage, volume, brand etc do y'all recommend?

The Anova Precision Cooker seems to be most popular. I love mine. Very simple. Usually $199 but goes on sale for $149.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/anova-precision-cooker-bluetooth/5550900.p?skuId=5550900&ref=212&loc=DWA&ksid=b1adea39-174c-4820-be02-46b948ef7945&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg226068&ksdevice=t&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=CPXOguKux9ECFdY2gQodzRUJsQ

ok, what features, ie wattage, volume, brand etc do y'all recommend?

I got the Joule from ChefSteps.

https://store.chefsteps.com

https://www.chefsteps.com/joule

https://www.amazon.com/ChefSteps-CS10001-Joule-White-Stainless/dp/B01M8MMLBI/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1484595510&sr=1-1&keywords=joule+sous+vide

I asked for this one for Christmas because:

1) It is much smaller than the other ones that I saw. My wife always complains when I want to get something: "Where are we going to put that."

2) ChefSteps seems to have some great recipes.

3) I can control it with my iPhone. The app is great and has a visual doneness feature so that you can look at photos of what the food will look like after cooking at various temperatures etc. I like it.

4) It works with Amazon's Alexa as well.

5) It has a magnet at the bottom that helps it stand up when using it in a pot.

FWIW, Amazon says that the Joule is the number one new release in Amazon launchpad kitchen and number 2 best seller in this category between the $148 Anova (number 1) and the $199 Anova (number 3).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/boost/12034499011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_k_1_3_last

Take a look at the various ones available and determine which is best for you.

Edited by Peter

Not to throw this thread off, but as it has become something of a "cooking" thread...

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas. I've never used a pressure cooker before, and it takes some getting used to, but lemme tell you...it kicks ass. A very nice tool for fresh, healthy weekday cooking without sacrificing flavor and texture (like you do with a slow cooker).

Not to throw this thread off, but as it has become something of a "cooking" thread...

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas. I've never used a pressure cooker before, and it takes some getting used to, but lemme tell you...it kicks ass. A very nice tool for fresh, healthy weekday cooking without sacrificing flavor and texture (like you do with a slow cooker).

Pressure cooker is amazing. Perfect short ribs with a one hour braise rather than 5 hours, no stir risotto in 15 mins, make stocks in 1/10th the time. And if you're angry at the government, fill it up with screws and semtex. Its an extremely versatile tool.

yikes!

Pressure cooker is amazing. Perfect short ribs with a one hour braise rather than 5 hours, no stir risotto in 15 mins, make stocks in 1/10th the time. And if you're angry at the government, fill it up with screws and semtex. Its an extremely versatile tool.

Now TBD is on the watch list. Nice, Fergy.

As someone else mentioned, turning a bit into a cooking thread...sooo

Been trying to eat a tad healthier in the new year and came across this recipe for brown rice.I love white Basmati, typically hate brown due to texture.

This recipe actually gives you nice, fluffy, brown rice. Still not much flavour without the green Habanero hot sauce I put on it, but I guess healthier than the white. Have made it 3 times now, perfect every time.

http://www.saveur.com/perfect-brown-rice-recipe