Don't look now....Bills are now a "Top 10 Defense"

Big Turk

Bills have taken over 10th place in Yards allowed on defense and are 12th in Points allowed...

I think what this says is that scoring is up this year...

So for people saying the "D" is TERRIBLE...there are a lot worse this year...20 teams worse...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netYardsPerGame/position/defense

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills have taken over 10th place in Yards allowed on defense and are 12th in Points allowed...

So for people saying the "D" is TERRIBLE...there are a lot worse this year...20 teams worse...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netYardsPerGame/position/defense

Just for context, I always like to look at defensive points/game allowed (which removes all defensive TDs and special teams TDs scored by opponents).

In this metric, the Bills rank 17th.

Just for context, I always like to look at defensive points/game allowed (which removes all defensive TDs and special teams TDs scored by opponents).

The ranking the NFL uses goes by Yards allowed per game...

I hate to be the negative Nancy but the defense doesn't "feel" like they have played very well. Maybe my expectations were higher and maybe some guys that I didn't expect to struggle have? I don't know what it is but they feel like an average defense and I expected (and hoped) for a little better.

If Dareus keeps playing, it almost changes the whole D as far as what they can do and it will keep getting better. The DL is crazy good with him in there. This will help the safeties too. He has only played in 3 games and has been pretty dominant in the last 2.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The ranking the NFL uses goes by Yards allowed per game...

Indeed--I don't put a lot of stock into that metric though. It leaves too much emphasis on garbage-time yards, inconsequential yards (i.e. a 19-yard gain on 3rd and 22), etc.

I keep my own numbers for offensive points per game generated and defensive points per game allowed because I think it's a better indicator of what we can expect performance-wise.

I hate to be the negative Nancy but the defense doesn't "feel" like they have played very well. Maybe my expectations were higher and maybe some guys that I didn't expect to struggle have? I don't know what it is but they feel like an average defense and I expected (and hoped) for a little better.

They haven't. They were actually 21st in defensive points per game allowed prior to the Cincinnati game. The last 2 weeks they've jumped a bit, up to 17th. That's still not good, and it's well below what my expectations were in year 2 of this defensive system.

My main problem is that a system should not be so heavily reliant upon one position (safety) to be successful. The team was playing solid defense (the Jets game notwithstanding) before Aaron Williams left. It's a major indictment (IMO) of the system that the loss of one guy should cripple the entire unit's performance so badly.

yup, agree with this. Thanks for pointing this out. They're 16th according to FO: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef.

Edited by dave mcbride

Considering the losses of Ragland, Shaq, Dareus, and AW the defense has been pretty good majority of time. I understand that Shaq and Ragland are rookies and much shouldnt be expected anyway, but one area where it does hurt is depth.

They can still improve substantially as a unit. Especially in the red zone.

Indeed--I don't put a lot of stock into that metric though. It leaves too much emphasis on garbage-time yards, inconsequential yards (i.e. a 19-yard gain on 3rd and 22), etc.

I keep my own numbers for offensive points per game generated and defensive points per game allowed because I think it's a better indicator of what we can expect performance-wise.

They haven't. They were actually 21st in defensive points per game allowed prior to the Cincinnati game. The last 2 weeks they've jumped a bit, up to 17th. That's still not good, and it's well below what my expectations were in year 2 of this defensive system.

My main problem is that a system should not be so heavily reliant upon one position (safety) to be successful. The team was playing solid defense (the Jets game notwithstanding) before Aaron Williams left. It's a major indictment (IMO) of the system that the loss of one guy should cripple the entire unit's performance so badly.

The reason that there is such a disparity between your metric and the actual points allowed # is that the Bills offense simply doesn't turn the ball over. And Christ, the INTs Taylor throws are usually the equivalents of punts (like against Seattle and AZ).

The reason that there is such a disparity between your metric and the actual points allowed # is that the Bills offense simply doesn't turn the ball over. And Christ, the INTs Taylor throws are usually the equivalents of punts (like against Seattle and AZ).

Yep...Bills are one of 9 teams that have not allowed an opponent to score a defensive or ST touchdown.

The Bills have only allowed 2 defensive/ST points to opposing teams all year (the safety against Arizona)

With our current defensive play, any turnover on our end of the field would pretty much be an automatic TD for the opponent.

Why is our turnover differential so good? It has more to do with the offense's lack of turnovers than it does the defense's efforts.

Edited by bobobonators

It has more to do with the offense's lack of turnovers than it does the defense's efforts.

It's interesting to me how luck factors into our perceptions.

The Bills D has caused 20 fumbles, but only recovered 6 of them. Compare that to KC who has caused 21 fumbles but recovered 11 of them. The Bills D is tied for 2nd in fumbles caused but ranked 15th in fumbles recovered. There's not much a D can do but keep flying hard to the ball and hoping the ball bounces their way.

Not top 10 in my eyes because of the two stats you posted the one that means more is PPG and they are 12th

It's interesting to me how luck factors into our perceptions.

The Bills D has caused 20 fumbles, but only recovered 6 of them. Compare that to KC who has caused 21 fumbles but recovered 11 of them. The Bills D is tied for 2nd in fumbles caused but ranked 15th in fumbles recovered. There's not much a D can do but keep flying hard to the ball and hoping the ball bounces their way.

Thats a good point and its fair. Turnovers on defense are a hard metric to predict or replicate from year to year.

What cant be argued is the huge benefit this offense provides to the defense on a weekly basis by rarely turning the ball over. We complain about the 3 and outs and how it may affect the defense. I think it evens out when you take into account how we arent turning the ball over on our 30yd line and asking the D to make a stop. That part of the equation is easiy overlooked on this board.

Gross yards allowed simply isn't the best barometer.

Coaches and scouts key in on a few numbers to get an idea of how good teams are:

Yards per play for and against.

Yards per rushing attempt for and against.

Yards per pass attempt for and against.

Number of rushing attempts per game for and against.

Which way frames Tyrod the best ?

Yesterday, When i ranked the defenses the Bills have faced this season a poster on this board made me change it from "overall defense" to pts allowed bc "pts allowed is a truer metric". So theres that..

Edited by bobobonators