Bye Week Topic: Doug Flutie

Jkgobills

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best answer in my mind is found in his CFL days. Flutie set records there. He won the Grey Cup three times, Grey Cup MVP three times, CFL MVP six times ... all in seven years. It sounds amazing until you understand that he did it with three different teams. There was something about him that made teams want to unload him, even as he was the best in the league there at that time.

From what I could see ... it was ALWAYS all about him and proving everyone wrong about his height. He was not a team player.

Interesting insight..,,thanks!

For me it was it was Inside The NFL which you could only see if you had HBO.

Len Dawson, Nick Bonicotti and I believe Sonny Jurgenson.

Great show!

That was another great show.... Forgot about that one too

Selflessness

Team first kind of guy

Ultimate competitor

Ultimate desire

Got the most from his talent

At that time, this was how the available media described Flutie to those of us outside WNY

First of all, !@#$ YOU (for being right) !!!!!!!!!!!!

Second of all ... well ... !@#$ YOU!

Gug...I have stood next to both you and Flutie and your are actually taller....when you have those mail order shoes that I sent you last year for Christmas. No, no, no, all kidding aside, you have Flutie by an 1/8 of an inch!

Gug...I have stood next to both you and Flutie and your are actually taller....when you have those mail order shoes that I sent you last year for Christmas. No, no, no, all kidding aside, you have Flutie by an 1/8 of an inch!

You see this, BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

Thanks, Flutie Flakes.

First year Flutie started he played great and helped win many games. 2nd season, I think the Bills won in spite of him. By then teams had figured him out, keep someone in to limit his ability to scramble and don't let him complete passes over the middle, make him throw outside which his arm wasn't able to handle very well.

What I most disliked about him was his ability off the field to deflect all blame from himself, it was always something else. He'd never outright blame anyone else, but would turn it into a debate as to who or what was to blame. I can recall listening to him post game, I'm somewhat over-simplifying here but, if he was asked say about an interception he threw and what happened, he'd try to kind of spin it, well I don't know was it the throw, was the receiver not in the correct spot or not fight hard enough, or did something go wrong with the blocking scheme? Or imply the reporter is maybe asking the wrong question. Never blame anyone else directly, but would attempt to throw doubt out there as to what went wrong.

I also recall the year after the Music City game, new coach and GM, Greg Williams asked both QB's to live in Buffalo off-season to work out more with the team (can you imagine in todays CBA asking such a thing, probably lose a draft pick for even asking :) ) RJ said absolutely, no problem. Flutie basically told the Bill's to pound salt, believe soon after he was gone.

Maybe the years of never getting the chance he felt he deserved created the "chip on the shoulder" and the attitude, but never liked him that much off the field.

In summary he likely was one of the greatest "ME" guys to ever wear a Bills uniform.

I heard second- and third- hand more than once that Flutie was a narcissistic, arrogant putz. Have no idea if that was really true.

Personally, I just thought he was overrated. He would play like crap for three quarter but our great defense would keep us in the game. Then he'd score a TD in the 4th quarter and people talked about him like he was the miracle man.

If he was just an average QB, we wouldn't have needed a 4th quarter score to win. Just look at his stats. He wasn't good. Though, admittedly, he could be exciting in the 4th quarter.

Edited by hondo in seattle

First year Flutie started he played great and helped win many games. 2nd season, I think the Bills won in spite of him. By then teams had figured him out, keep someone in to limit his ability to scramble and don't let him complete passes over the middle, make him throw outside which his arm wasn't able to handle very well.

What I most disliked about him was his ability off the field to deflect all blame from himself, it was always something else. He'd never outright blame anyone else, but would turn it into a debate as to who or what was to blame. I can recall listening to him post game, I'm somewhat over-simplifying here but, if he was asked say about an interception he threw and what happened, he'd try to kind of spin it, well I don't know was it the throw, was the receiver not in the correct spot or not fight hard enough, or did something go wrong with the blocking scheme? Or imply the reporter is maybe asking the wrong question. Never blame anyone else directly, but would attempt to throw doubt out there as to what went wrong.

I also recall the year after the Music City game, new coach and GM, Greg Williams asked both QB's to live in Buffalo off-season to work out more with the team (can you imagine in todays CBA asking such a thing, probably lose a draft pick for even asking :) ) RJ said absolutely, no problem. Flutie basically told the Bill's to pound salt, believe soon after he was gone.

Maybe the years of never getting the chance he felt he deserved created the "chip on the shoulder" and the attitude, but never liked him that much off the field.

In summary he likely was one of the greatest "ME" guys to ever wear a Bills uniform.

I heard second- and third- hand more than once that Flutie was a narcissistic, arrogant putz. Have no idea if that was really true.

Personally, I just thought he was overrated. He would play like crap for three quarter but our great defense would keep us in the game. Then he'd score a TD in the 4th quarter and people talked about him like he was the miracle man.

If he was just an average QB, we wouldn't have needed a 4th quarter score to win. Just look at his stats. He wasn't good. Though, admittedly, he could be exciting in the 4th quarter.

More good insight into why people disliked him (beyond play on the field). Thanks

Selflessness

Team first kind of guy

Ultimate competitor

Ultimate desire

Got the most from his talent

I just can't imagine anyone who saw this guys carreer in Buffalo would ever say the first two items in this list, even if you see him as the greatest player of all time... which he wasn't.

The middle two I see, even the last one. He still sucked, but he really tried hard it seemed.

The infamous game against Miami and Jimmie Johnson, the Bills gave out those "life size" door posters of Flutie at the gate and had him listed at 5'10". That must have been with cleats on because I've stood next to him and he couldn't have been more than 5'8".

Also, back in those days I had some connections with the Bills security that would allow me, if I wanted, to hang out down in the tunnel after the game. Flutie would always have a Bills staffer bring his car down to him so he wouldn't have to deal with fans after a game. No other player I saw would do that.

The infamous game against Miami and Jimmie Johnson, the Bills gave out those "life size" door posters of Flutie at the gate and had him listed at 5'10". That must have been with cleats on because I've stood next to him and he couldn't have been more than 5'8".

Also, back in those days I had some connections with the Bills security that would allow me, if I wanted, to hang out down in the tunnel after the game. Flutie would always have a Bills staffer bring his car down to him so he wouldn't have to deal with fans after a game. No other player I saw would do that.

Yet, after a home opener a couple years ago, Fred Jackson drove by Hammer's Lot - knowing it was going to be bumper-to-bumper - and rolled his window down to actually speak to the fans.

Flutie is a dick.

I remember reading the D&C in home room when these guys were acquired. Rob was supposed to be the guy and Flutie just wouldn't go away. When Flutie won, there was just a spark out there and they found a way. The problem was, it wasn't very conventional and I personally believe it drove the coaches nuts. It was like the Tebow and Vince Young runs, it worked but it was thought to not be sustainable.

Rob Johnson had all the tools and when he was on, looked like a Hall of Famer. But he was rarely on. His best game was the season ender against the Colts, where he stole the starting job on the last game and took it into the Titans game. He left that field a winner, but the team didn't.

End result, neither guys played how you wanted them too and because Rob was supposed to be the guy, even though Flutie won, the chip on Flutie's shoulder that followed him from the CFL apparently led to some bad blood in the locker room. No one really knows what happened there, but there was enough smoke to insinuate fire.

Those were some tough years because we still expected the playoffs and didn't know what laid ahead of us.

Edited by Virgil

Nice, - Doug flutie thread. Perfect place to say I hate Doug flutie. Glad you cried your way outta buffalo and then cried more in San Diego. Had some nice moments, but I always felt the raging napoleon complex inside.

Most of the hate for Flutie can be attributed one man: Chuck Dickerson. He railed against him incessantly.

No, the hate comes from him being a little narccisstic prick.

Flutie was unsustainable as a long term option at QB, I always felt he was a gimmick that defenses were starting to figure out at the end of 99. I wasn't a fan, but he did provide some exciting football.

But not for nothing, a little less of that Flutie Magic in 1998 could have let to a better draft pick in 1999, which happened to be the McNabb/Culpepper year. Plus I wouldn't still have that Antoine Winfield jersey in my closet.