Game Day Thread: Election 2016

KD in CA

I'm not sure if this has been posted but this does a great job explaining why Trump won. I grew up in one of these small towns. Just 25 miles from Buffalo but probably not heard of by 90% of you here. I very progressive friend of mine posted this on FB and the light switch was turned on. She said "I think he's on to something." On to something?? Get your heads out of your asses progressives. He's abso!@#$inglutely on to something.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

Edited by Chef Jim

I'm not sure if this has been posted but this does a great job explaining why Trump lost. I grew up in one of these small towns. Just 25 miles from Buffalo but probably not heard of by 90% of you here. I very progressive friend of mine posted this on FB and the light switch was turned on. She said "I think he's on to something." On to something?? Get your heads out of your asses progressives. He's abso!@#$inglutely on to something.

Trump lost?

But the rural vs urban divide has always been a key factor in US politics, and that's why very wisely the founding fathers devised the system of government that recognized that divide.

The moron commentarians who don't know their US history don't realize that without the original compromises between the delegates on the system of government, there would have been no USA.

Edited by GG

I'm not sure if this has been posted but this does a great job explaining why Trump lost. I grew up in one of these small towns. Just 25 miles from Buffalo but probably not heard of by 90% of you here. I very progressive friend of mine posted this on FB and the light switch was turned on. She said "I think he's on to something." On to something?? Get your heads out of your asses progressives. He's abso!@#$inglutely on to something.

Trump won you numbskull. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if this has been posted but this does a great job explaining why Trump won. I grew up in one of these small towns. Just 25 miles from Buffalo but probably not heard of by 90% of you here. I very progressive friend of mine posted this on FB and the light switch was turned on. She said "I think he's on to something." On to something?? Get your heads out of your asses progressives. He's abso!@#$inglutely on to something.

That was honestly a great read .... Thanks

There is no way Trump appoints Cruz, and even if he did, there is no way the Senate confirms him.

It would certainly be an interesting choice, given his reputation in front of the bench. SCOTUS might be the job he's best qualified for, frankly.

Commentary: The unbearable smugness of the press

FTA:

But much of that starts from the assumption that Trump voters are backward, and that it’s our duty to catalogue and ultimately reverse that backwardness. What can we do to get these people to stop worshiping their false god and accept our gospel?

We diagnose them as racists in the way Dark Age clerics confused medical problems with demonic possession. Journalists, at our worst, see ourselves as a priestly caste. We believe we not only have access to the indisputable facts, but also a greater truth, a system of beliefs divined from an advanced understanding of justice.

You’d think that Trump’s victory – the one we all discounted too far in advance – would lead to a certain newfound humility in the political press. But of course that’s not how it works. To us, speaking broadly, our diagnosis was still basically correct. The demons were just stronger than we realized.

This is all a “whitelash,” you see. Trump voters are racist and sexist, so there must be more racists and sexists than we realized. Tuesday night’s outcome was not a logic-driven rejection of a deeply flawed candidate named Clinton; no, it was a primal scream against fairness, equality, and progress. Let the new tantrums commence!

That’s the fantasy, the idea that if we mock them enough, call them racist enough, they’ll eventually shut up and get in line.

Much more at the link: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-the-unbearable-smugness-of-the-press-presidential-election-2016/

But the rural vs urban divide has always been a key factor in US politics, and that's why very wisely the founding fathers devised the system of government that recognized that divide.

Further to your comments is this article from the NYT examining why she 'really' lost, and in the end, her campaign refused to listen to Bill, who was pleading with them to go into those area.They

They thought they'd get the black and female vote to compensate...because, y'know, they're Democrats.

This was my favorite part of the article...especially Dunn's comment with the use of the word 'yet.' So telling.

In the end, Mr. Trump’s simple promise to “Make America Great Again,” a catchphrase Mrs. Clinton dismissed as a vow to return to a racist past already long disappeared, would draw enough white Americans to the polls to make up for his low minority support.

And she ceded the white working-class voters who backed Mr. Clinton in 1992. Though she would never have won this demographic, her husband insisted that her campaign aides do more to try to cut into Mr. Trump’s support with these voters. They declined, reasoning that she was better off targeting college-educated suburban voters by hitting Mr. Trump on his temperament.Instead, they targeted the emerging electorate of young, Latino and African-American voters who catapulted Mr. Obama to victory twice, expecting, mistakenly, that this coalition would support her in nearly the same numbers. They did not.

“The emerging demographic majority isn’t quite there yet,” said Anita Dunn, a Democratic strategist and former White House communications director. “The idea you can get to a presidential campaign and just press a button and they’ll vote, it’s not there yet.”

Trump lost?

The moron commentarians who don't know their US history don't realize that without the original compromises between the delegates on the system of government, there would have been no USA.

Yes that divide has always been there no doubt. But the rural folks finally had enough of the left and right coast elites looking down their noses at them. They stood up and made it very clear they are mad as hell and are not taking it anymore. Trump wisely tapped into that even though he himself is a right coast elite. I've made if very clear here for a long time I am no fan of the elite celebrities in this country and they got their asses handed to them Tuesday and I absolutely LOVE it!!

Further to your comments is this article from the NYT examining why she 'really' lost, and in the end, her campaign refused to listen to Bill, who was pleading with them to go into those area.They

They thought they'd get the black and female vote to compensate...because, y'know, they're Democrats.

This was my favorite part of the article...especially Dunn's comment with the use of the word 'yet.' So telling.

What disgusts me are the growing number of FB posts by the crybabies who are now blaming the rural folk for their predicament. They don't even realize how hypocritical their elitism looks, and is precisely the reason these voters were attracted by Trump's message. The morons don't even realize it was a similar message that siphoned off 45% of Hillary's base in the primaries.

Trump did shockingly well in New York State, Hillary had “no coattails”

FTA:

So much for that. Trump didn’t carry New York and in fact he didn’t even come close. But when you look deeper into the final numbers he certainly did exceed expectations. For one thing, there were a significant number of counties (more than a third of them) which went for Obama the past two cycles but this time flipped to Trump

As the historical data shows, Hillary Clinton won New York, but she reversed a trend which had been in place for decades. Democrats had been increasing their margin in presidential races since the early nineties.

Can someone explain to me when exactly Trump said he was going to outlaw homosexuality?

Nope. Because he never said it. Or even implied it. Actually at the RNC he gave a shout out to the LGBTQRS Community, but that's not what their handlers want them to know.

Nope. Because he never said it. Or even implied it. Actually at the RNC he gave a shout out to the LGBTQRS Community, but that's not what their handlers want them to know.

The implication came from his comments that he believes that marriage is an issue that should be handled at the state level.