MMQB: Bills-Seahawks: Bad calls and more bad looks

YoloinOhio

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carp kicked the ball.

I'm not remembering that correctly then. I thought Sherman hit Carpenter before his foot made contact with the ball and that's why the kick was so off. If he got the ball off first and Sherman hit him afterwards without having touched the ball, then it should have been a penalty.

Edited to add: Looking at images of the play it does look like Sherman hit Carp as he was kicking the ball. That makes it a legal hit if the whistle hadn't blown.

Edited by BarleyNY

The people who write the NFL rule book admitted the sequence of events was called incorrectly. All of it. Yet on Mike and Mike this morning on ESPN, two of those dummies on the show insisted Sherman did no wrong because the whistle blew late. He was just playing out the play. So ridiculous.

The people who write the NFL rule book admitted the sequence of events was called incorrectly. All of it. Yet on Mike and Mike this morning on ESPN, two of those dummies on the show insisted Sherman did no wrong because the whistle blew late. He was just playing out the play. So ridiculous.

They must be the only members of the media that have that opinion.

The league doesn't care. They just don't. Times like these I miss Ralph, he'd at least have the stones to call out the league publicly and complain like hell privately.

Yes Ralph was willing to be the lone dissenter and bad mouth the league and the referees when necessary even if it cost him money and from all objective measurements Bills were punished for this. Sometimes you need someone to state the Emperor has no clothes.

Except they are correct. It's up to the refs to blow the whistle for unabated. If they don't, then the defender has to assume it is going to be called an offsides. That means a free play for the offense. So the defender has to go after the ball/kicker/QB.

Except they are correct. It's up to the refs to blow the whistle for unabated. If they don't, then the defender has to assume it is going to be called an offsides. That means a free play for the offense. So the defender has to go after the ball/kicker/QB.

That seems to be the issue that set off the whole chain. Once they failed there they couldn't throw the personal foul, which means that carpenter has to come off... and I think the clock issue was just them being caught up in how bad they just messed up

So maybe in the end Richard Sherman is just as brilliant as he thinks he is. He somehow knew the rules and how they would be enforced in split seconds (i.e., unabated, reaching out and touching the ball, knocking Powell to the ground and knowing he won't get flagged for it).

So maybe in the end Richard Sherman is just as brilliant as he thinks he is. He somehow knew the rules and how they would be enforced in split seconds (i.e., unabated, reaching out and touching the ball, knocking Powell to the ground and knowing he won't get flagged for it).

All it would take is knowing to play til a whistle (simple), and go for the ball (as an edge guy there, it should be a day 1 lesson)

the Powell play was likely playing past the edge of reasonable play even knowing the rule

The thing I'm wondering is if any of the officials bothered to blow his whistle or not. If not, why not?

There was a clear unabated rusher and that means they should blow the whistle, killing the play, before someone is seriously hurt.

"We're all about safety."

It's a penalty whether the play was fully live or he was offsides and blown dead. He hit the kickers leg. Hard. It's roughing. It's totally on Sherman.

Its pathetic. Listen for me its simple. If you miss a bang bang play fine. It happens. But how in the WORLD do you get the Sherman fg call wrong?! Nothing else was going on in the field at that point. And then they follow it up with the spotting/play clock debacle. Someone should be fined or suspended on the officiating side. But they wont.

This really captures it for me, and also explains why ratings are down. How is it possible to miss that call, and then compound it by further screwing the team you just hosed? Why bother to watch a game so incompetently officiated that it's very integrity is legitimately called into question?

If the NFL can tweet during the game that the officiating was wrong, it can fix the calls during the games.

Exactly!

The league doesn't care. They just don't. Times like these I miss Ralph, he'd at least have the stones to call out the league publicly and complain like hell privately.

This here. The league is getting publicity in all of this. So they are benefiting.

F)*& them.

Everything wrong with the officiating on this play stemmed from the lack of an early whistle. I rewatched and there is not an audible whistle until after Sherman hit Carp. You can't call a penalty on him if that was the case. The refs called an unabated penalty which was an immediate indication that they knew they should have blown the whistle early. Carp gave a good soccer dive, but Sherman didn't hit him hard. The side view showed that he clipped him across the thighs. It looked a lot worse live and from the front.

So are you saying that if a linebacker, trying to anticipate the snap, blows through the stationary offensive line and destroys the QB, there wouldn't be a roughing call simply because the refs didn't have time to blow their whistles?

did anyone else think that Carp was faking it a bit? He was trying to coerce on a flag. He looked injured at first, but when the med staff came over to him, he was pushing them away frantically, because he saw that there was no flag and he knew he would be taken off the field for a play.

it was a dirty hit to be sure, but that's what i saw.

did anyone else think that Carp was faking it a bit? He was trying to coerce on a flag. He looked injured at first, but when the med staff came over to him, he was pushing them away frantically, because he saw that there was no flag and he knew he would be taken off the field for a play.

it was a dirty hit to be sure, but that's what i saw.

Yeah i noticed that right away. It's typical of all kickers. The refs called his bluff. Bottom line it was off sides, unabated to the kicker and refs should have thrown the unnecessary roughness flag. I really don't think Sherman was being dirty...but he knew the rules cold. No whistle, play through the play. He got lucky no roughness penalty was given. The icing on the cake was the ref standing over the ball.

Edited by zow2

Yeah i noticed that right away. It's typical of all kickers. The refs called his bluff. Bottom line it was off sides, unabated to the kicker and refs should have thrown the unnecessary roughness flag. I really don't think Sherman was being dirty...but he knew the rules cold. No whistle, play through the play. He got lucky no roughness penalty was given. The icing on the cake was the ref standing over the ball.

yeah there was all sorts of wrong in that sequence, i wonder if that was the refs way of showing Carp his faking was not appreciated.