First Cleveland, Now the Cubs.....

chaccof

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills brought in the football equivalent to Theo, i would be cool with it. I am trying to think who that would be.

Yeah, if you know so-and-so will definitely win you a title, you'd wait as long as it takes right? So who do you hire for the Bills? Who is the lead pipe cinch GM that will guarantee the Bills a title? And if it took this guy 5 years, like it did Epstein, could you be patient? Or would you be ready to clean house after a season and a half when you go 8-8 and 4-4?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Well, it looks like Brady might play another 108 years, so we're all screwed.

At the end of the game last night, Fox put up a list of the longest championship droughts. The longest in the NFL is the Cardinals, going back I think to the 1940s. The Lions' drought goes back to the 1950s. So it turns out we don't know from suffering, compared to Detroit. And the Cardinals keep breaking the hearts of cities just by moving, not by losing. I believe they were in Chicago, then LA, then St Louis, now back to LA.

2 in the last 16 years. 2000 and 2009. Drought

Now they look up at the blue jays and Orioles.

Haha that sounds like criticism someone might say about the Pats. They only won 1 superbowl in the past 11 years but that's hardly a drought because they are right there every year just like the Yanks have been besides this year

By may calculations, it's Buffalo by a year if you don't count AFL titles but start with the AFL-NFL merger year.

Bills 48 years, Sabres 46 years, Braves 8 years = 102

Chargers 48 years, Padres 47 years, Clippers 6 years = 101

However, if you count the AFL titles as the equivalent of winning a Super Bowl, it becomes Buffalo 105 years, San Diego 106 years without a championship.

The race is on! But I gotta say ... no offense to Buffalo, I grew up there and love the place. But as an adult I've lived in San Diego on a couple occasions. Nobody should feel sorry for people who live in San Diego, sorry sports teams or not.

Yeah, if you know so-and-so will definitely win you a title, you'd wait as long as it takes right? So who do you hire for the Bills. Who is the lead pipe cinch GM that will guarantee the Bills a title? And if it took this guy 5 years, like it did Epstein, could you be patient? Or would you be ready to clean house after a season and a half when you go 8-8 and 4-4?

What is the Bills plan for success? Play defense and run the ball well?

Why are we firing OCs after 2 games?

Why were relying on Greg Salas and Marquis Goodwin for sustained production at WR when we knew Watkins was already injured?

Why do we have absolutely no talent behind the "one-hit-away" Aaron Williams at S?

These aren't questions brought up in hindsight. They were there before training camp.

To say Bills fans can't be patient is a joke. We are extremely patient. But no one is going to be patient when we are making bad decision after bad decision, just hoping things will work out.

Edited by BrooklynBills

Hey...I know he is a baseball person, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of what's happening with Cleveland, as they hired a baseball person to head up their front office...

All I know is the man has ended two of the longest World Series curses in baseball in the last 10 years...whatever he touches turns to gold, and Pegula has the deep pockets to get him to come here...

That's if he is willing to change sports I suppose...

And yeah, I realize that they are two different sports, but it's his system of how he does things that is ultimately winning for him not his scouting ability. System's are portable and can be fit to the personnel you have at your disposal...just ask Bill Belichick...

Theo's system works within both the economic and talent-acquisition structures of baseball, which are both very different than in football. Theo also just signed a 5 year extention to remain in Chicago, abouthe a month that or two ago.

Doesn't mean he couldn't adapt to do well in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, he's not coming to Buffalo, but conceptually it's an interesting idea.

If the Bills ever turn into a well run organization, it will be because we hire a Theo-esque guy to run the show.

The trick is finding that guy in a football context, and no one currently within the organization, least of all Pegula, is equipped to do that. So the real first step is finding the guy who can find you the guy.

A GM consultant. I hope these are the ideas Pegula is working on for when Rex and Whaley are relieved of their duties, most likely at the end of next season.

It all started with the most recent owner, Tom Ricketts, who bought the Cubs and brought them out from under the Wrigley / Tribune corporate umbrella. Ricketts had a vision for the Cubs that included deals with the city for zoning and construction that allowed him to increase their revenue streams. With that revenue he sought the best of the best for his organization including team manager, general manager, executive VP and of course free agent players.

Ricketts took over in 2009 and it took him (7) years to build a champion.

As long as the Bills have a proactive owner interested in building a winner there will be hope.

Edited by jethro_tull

Hey...I know he is a baseball person, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of what's happening with Cleveland, as they hired a baseball person to head up their front office...

How's that going?

Depodesta fires his scouting staff (who favored Wentz over Goff) 3 weeks before the draft. Then he says Wentz would not be top 20 QB. He and Hue Jidiot were high on Goff. Then he decided that they would be better off not drafting a QB in the first and shopped their pick to stockpile more picks for whenever. His "moneyball" solution? Dust off fragile headcase RG3.

Then he loses his kicker to injury. His moneyball solution? To ignore his ST coach's recommendation (Gould) and sign Cody Parker---so they could cave 500k (on a team with 48 million in cap space). Result? Parker immediately misses 3 FGs in a game that could have been won had he made one of them.

They trade for Collins, a guy soon to be a free agent who will demand a boatload of money.

The Browns are winless. There defense is the worst. Their offense is near the bottom in points scored. Their coach coaches them to close game losses (the ones that are close anyway)..They will likely have the 1st pick in the draft coming. In fact the only thing Depodesta is proficient at is growing his cap space and stockpiling picks.

No thanks.

How's that going?

Depodesta fires his scouting staff (who favored Wentz over Goff) 3 weeks before the draft. Then he says Wentz would not be top 20 QB. He and Hue Jidiot were high on Goff. Then he decided that they would be better off not drafting a QB in the first and shopped their pick to stockpile more picks for whenever. His "moneyball" solution? Dust off fragile headcase RG3.

Then he loses his kicker to injury. His moneyball solution? To ignore his ST coach's recommendation (Gould) and sign Cody Parker---so they could cave 500k (on a team with 48 million in cap space). Result? Parker immediately misses 3 FGs in a game that could have been won had he made one of them.

They trade for Collins, a guy soon to be a free agent who will demand a boatload of money.

The Browns are winless. There defense is the worst. Their offense is near the bottom in points scored. Their coach coaches them to close game losses (the ones that are close anyway)..They will likely have the 1st pick in the draft coming. In fact the only thing Depodesta is proficient at is growing his cap space and stockpiling picks.

No thanks.

Saving 500k AND helping get the first pick all at once.... maybe they do have a plan!