Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being mean or anything but could someone explain the reasoning behind 'Orangemen' as a mascot?

Pretty sure it has to do with Indians, similar to how st johns was the Red men, but then the PC police came out so they changed St Johns to the Red Storm and we just dropped the men part to be the Orange

officially it has to do with the color orange which they adopted after being pink and green(i believe), they say it has nothing to do with the Orangemen, the nickname of the Protestants living in Northern Ireland, but who knows

Not being mean or anything but could someone explain the reasoning behind 'Orangemen' as a mascot?

officially it has to do with the color orange which they adopted after being pink and green(i believe), they say it has nothing to do with the Orangemen, the nickname of the Protestants living in Northern Ireland, but who knows

I always thought it had to do with the Irish Protestants, but I guess not. It appears as though the name "orangemen" kinda happened by accident and was adopted.

The Orangemen as a nickname may have taken root in the 1950s. Ellie Ludwig of Manlius, Class of 1943, spent 20 years as alumni director at SU and said that's when she remembers hearing Orangemen first used. Ed Galvin, director of Archives at SU, said, "Don't hold me to it, " but the earliest reference he has found is in a 1956 Post-Standard story about Jim Brown running down and tackling an Army player from behind. Reporter Bill Reddy wrote that the play "saved the Orangemen." The Daily Orange hinted at the nickname in a 1903 headline: "Orange Men Promise Well For Contest."There's also a 1916 song called, "Bill Orange, " that contains the line, "last night, the sun set, or-ange, O-men, ev-er sure and true."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/index.ssf/2004/05/origins_of_orange_colors_nicknames_and_mascots_of_syracuse_sports_over_the_years.html

I always thought it had to do with the Irish Protestants, but I guess not. It appears as though the name "orangemen" kinda happened by accident and was adopted.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/index.ssf/2004/05/origins_of_orange_colors_nicknames_and_mascots_of_syracuse_sports_over_the_years.html

Glad to see I was wrong! I always just assumed it had something to with what I said, glad to see my preconceived notion busted.

Also found this, glad to see we didn't stay blue and pink!:

Syracuse University's first colors, in 1872, were "pink and pea green," but then a year later became "rose pink and azure blue." SU's color finally was changed to orange in 1890. How Orange was adopted as the color of Syracuse University was described in June 1940 at the fiftieth reunion of the class of 1890. The chronicler was Frank J. Marion '90, the motion picture pioneer. Marion said his class was responsible for the change from the colors pink and blue. He recalled:

"At the end of our senior year Syracuse accepted the challenge of Hamilton College to a track meet and...a number of us went along to cheer our team. We wore high collars, right up to our chins -- cutaway coats, baggy trousers, and rolled-brim derby hats. On our canes we had ribbons of the college colors, pink and blue.

Much to our surprise, we won the meet, and on the train coming home from Utica we tried to "whoop it up." What kind of "whoopee" can be made with pink and blue, the pale kind you use on babies' what-do-you-call-thems? It just couldn't be done!

So on Monday morning a lot of us went to see the chancellor in his office and told him our tale of woe. Chancellor Sims was a kindly old gentleman, a real father to us all, and he was very sympathetic. He agreed that pink and blue were not very suitable colors.

orange1.jpg "Professor J. Scott Clark was named chairman of a committee to find new colors", Marion said. "I recall that we seniors had a sneaking idea that we might put over the class colors, orange and olive green." Professor Clark consulted Baird's manual, then the authority on college matters, to see what combinations of orange had already been taken. Orange and blue were the most popular, but orange alone apparently was not claimed by any school and was Syracuse's for the taking. It was adopted unanimously by the committee, the faculty, the Alumni Association, and finally the trustees."

I'm not following this "The Daily Orange hinted at the nickname in a 1903 headline" - how could the Daily Orange have been around way before they became the Orange anything?

And, I used to hear that they were called the "Saltine Warriors" before the Orangemen?

I'm not following this "The Daily Orange hinted at the nickname in a 1903 headline" - how could the Daily Orange have been around way before they became the Orange anything?[/size]

And, I used to hear that they were called the "Saltine Warriors" before the Orangemen? [/size]

The mascot definitely had Native American roots. He was called the Saltine Warrior and was retired in 1978 after local Indian leaders protested to the university.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_the_Orange

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

The mascot definitely had Native American roots. He was called the Saltine Warrior and was retired in 1978 after local Indian leaders protested to he university.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_the_Orange

Syracuse is the salt city. What better a mascot than the salty cracker? Damned PC pigs.

K State winning this game would not be good for us, BTW.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

hahahahhaha duke in the championships for the ACC

boheim, i used to like your team but after talking **** about this much better state you can kiss my ass in the mens bathroom - which you're not allowed in. don't forget to sit, you trash.

even the city of greensboro put that asshat in his place

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria

Boeheim on the ACC Tourney:
"There's no value to playing in Greensboro. None."

.@AdamZagoria @ACCSports We kindly disagree. But I guess you can lose in the 1st round anywhere. At least it's a quick ride home.

Edited by Boyst62

Boeheim wasn't talking **** about North Carolina or Greensboro, he was actually right. Greensboro is a great town but it's not one that can host a grand stage. The ACC outgrew Greensboro years ago. Charlotte is where it should be. I'm not a fan of rotating the tournament. And for the record, North Carolina isn't a much better state than NY in any way, shape or form

hahahahhaha duke in the championships for the ACC

boheim, i used to like your team but after talking **** about this much better state you can kiss my ass in the mens bathroom - which you're not allowed in. don't forget to sit, you trash.

even the city of greensboro put that asshat in his place

Boeheim wasn't talking **** about North Carolina or Greensboro, he was actually right. Greensboro is a great town but it's not one that can host a grand stage. The ACC outgrew Greensboro years ago. Charlotte is where it should be. I'm not a fan of rotating the tournament. And for the record, North Carolina isn't a much better state than NY in any way, shape or form

yet it has for a very long time. and the coliseum is one of the largest in the world.

You're right NC isn't a much better state. Its a lot better state

Means that getting all hyped up over Duke getting a 4 or 5 seed in the ACC is a joke. They are in anyways, probably playing close to home the first weekend of the madness.

Old enough to remember when the only team in the NCAA tourney were the winners of the conference championship games. The ACC had to leave 2 teams in the top 5 nationally at home every year.

Midmajors had more sway than the top conferences, lots of them beat nobody to get well into the later rounds and a few finals.