Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

I didn't think I'd care enough about the NIT to watch, but there I was Wednesday night at my favorite bar where I watch almost all of the games doing the customary victory shot with a few other regular SU fans.

Andrew White can shoot. Battle just keeps getting better. Gillon is Gillon. Lydon could be dominant with less hesitancy.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think I'd care enough about the NIT to watch, but there I was Wednesday night at my favorite bar where I watch almost all of the games doing the customary victory shot with a few other regular SU fans.

Andrew White can shoot. Battle just keeps getting better. Gillon is Gillon. Lydon could be dominant with less hesitancy.

At Bona, we had more fans for the first round NIT last year than SU did this year, which is kind of crazy...........And, it was the loudest crowd I've ever heard there..............But, the team didn't show up - at least SU"s players did for the first game.

At Bona, we had more fans for the first round NIT last year than SU did this year, which is kind of crazy...........And, it was the loudest crowd I've ever heard there..............But, the team didn't show up - at least SU"s players did for the first game.

Yeah. The blizzard didn't help attendance the first game.

I don't think it is bad for us. I never liked the coach in waiting concept. I also think this may mean JB stays longer, which would be a positive, in my view. I also think Autry and GMac have been solid recruiters.

Tough move for Hopkins. He is going to have to tap into more of the west coast recruiting market, though maybe he

Already has been while at Syracuse.

Little tid bits I have heard...

This move by Hop was the result of an ongoing quarrel that has developed between JB and Hop over the past couple seasons. Allegedly, Hop has been frustrated with JB's lack of involvement in recruiting as of late, and essentially JB has "vetoed" several recruiting decisions that Hop wanted to make including offering schollys to a couple different JUCO transfers. Allegedly, Hop was at the end of his rope, and with his impending takeover of the program, felt as though he should have been given more say in the decision that would help shape the team for when he took over.

I am also hearing that GMac and Jason Hart (current AC at USC) will follow Hop to Washington. Also, FWIW, I am hearing that JB will not be the HC beyond next season.

Again, take it or leave it...just what I'm hearing from some folks in the know.

From Scott Pitoniak:

Some quick takes on Mike Hopkins taking the University of Washington head coaching job.

* It indicates to me that Hop no longer was the designated head-coach-in-waiting at SU, that the succession plans had changed under new athletics director John Wildhack, who is friends with Jim Boeheim.

* Boeheim is one of those guys who will have an extremely difficult time adjusting to life after coaching, which is why these legacy coaches don't want to retire. Coaching is their oxygen. They can't live without it. So, he wants to continue coaching beyond this year, and probably had that conversation with Wildhack.

* Hopkins was a loyal assistant and solid recruiter. But it's a whole different universe when you slide over to the head coaching seat. I don't know if he'll succeed or not. I've covered many good assistants who became mediocre head coaches through the years.

* It will be interesting to see if Syracuse rebounds from this disappointing season next year. The Orange men have to hope that Tyler Lydon and Battle come back, Thompson takes some big steps forward and their incoming freshmen can have an impact, particularly at point guard. Should SU experience another season like this one, the natives in Orange Nation will grow even more restless, and will raise questions about Boeheim's age, etc.

From Scott Pitoniak:

Some quick takes on Mike Hopkins taking the University of Washington head coaching job.

* It indicates to me that Hop no longer was the designated head-coach-in-waiting at SU, that the succession plans had changed under new athletics director John Wildhack, who is friends with Jim Boeheim.

* Boeheim is one of those guys who will have an extremely difficult time adjusting to life after coaching, which is why these legacy coaches don't want to retire. Coaching is their oxygen. They can't live without it. So, he wants to continue coaching beyond this year, and probably had that conversation with Wildhack.

* Hopkins was a loyal assistant and solid recruiter. But it's a whole different universe when you slide over to the head coaching seat. I don't know if he'll succeed or not. I've covered many good assistants who became mediocre head coaches through the years.

* It will be interesting to see if Syracuse rebounds from this disappointing season next year. The Orange men have to hope that Tyler Lydon and Battle come back, Thompson takes some big steps forward and their incoming freshmen can have an impact, particularly at point guard. Should SU experience another season like this one, the natives in Orange Nation will grow even more restless, and will raise questions about Boeheim's age, etc.

Lydon, he's gone. As of right now, Battle and Thompson are staying. Battle likely to go through NBA combine anyway. Again, take it or leave it...Boeheim will not be the HC after next season.

Thanks for the inside scoop!

All seems pretty plausible, but I am surprised that GMac would go with Hopkins.

No probs. I also was surprised when I heard about the GMac thing. I hope it's not true, actually. One would think that GMac would be torn due to his history with the program and JB, but there is no guarantee now with Hop gone that he will have a job with JB's successor (which I suspect will be an external hire). My peeps tend to be pretty on the money with their info, but they have been wrong before.

This seems to indicate gmac is staying, him leaving would be a pr nightmare that would dog him for a long time.

Actually, reading the article really doesn't say gmac is extended or anything. Just that he has been a valuable member of the coaching staff

http://cuse.com/news/2017/3/19/Boeheim31917.aspx

Edited by The Poojer