OK, let's do this: Tyrod Taylor

What I see is this: career 13-11 now as a starter.

Doesn't make horrible mistakes that lose games. (Remember EJ in London last year? When is the last time Tyrod threw a Pick 6?) Appears that he doesn't see the middle of the field well, but even if he does (really, how do we know what he's seeing/not seeing) is extremely hesitant to throw over the middle because there's more of a chance of an interception by doing so. Uses his speed and elusiveness to provide another big play threat. Nice touch on long passes, but poor in anticipating/leading a receiver on shorter passes so he doesn't hit them in stride with to provide opportunities for big YAC.

Does anyone disagree with any of this? It's an unorthodox profile for an NFL starter in the NFL of the last decade or two. I put up a post in the offseason, something like "Who Does Tyrod Play Like." I had to go all the way back to the 1990s for my best comparison, Jeff Blake of the Bengals in his prime. Some people said Kordell Stewart. I think I heard a Mike Vick or two. Those guys can take you to the playoffs (well, Blake didn't, but still ...), but probably not to a conference championship. I think that's what we have in Tyrod. Ultimately Cincy wasn't satisfied with that. Neither was Pittsburgh. I imagine that'll be the case here too. Maybe you keep Tyrod, the defense improves, a few balls bounce your way, you win a playoff game or two over the course of his contract. Are you happy with that after 16 years of no playoffs? Some are, some aren't. I guess I'm just not understanding the endless debates since I don't think I've said anything here that 95% of knowledgeable TSW posters can't agree with ...

Yeah, but..

League history has many examples of middling/poor QB's who've been at the helm of their teams' Super Bowl seasons. Earl Morrall, Trent Dilfer, Joe Kapp, Craig Morton (2 different teams), Vince Ferragamo, David Woodley, Tony Eason, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, Neil O'Donnell, Chris Chandler, Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme, Rex Grossman & Colin Kaepernick. Additionally, a couple crappy QB's led their team to SB glory coming off the bench in the playoffs via injury to the starter; Hostetler & Doug Williams. 5 of these scrap-pilers won the damn game! edit: including 2 against US!

My point isn't to blow your point out of the water -tough it's a nice effect, it's about good to very good teams winning through the playoffs, getting to the Big Game and sometimes winning it without stellar QB play. Through less than 2 seasons, is Tyrod Taylor a worse QB than Dilfer, Ferragamo, Woodley, Rypien, Humphries, Collins, Kaep & Grossman? Not IMO.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weak, even for you.

But pretty funny nevertheless for calling someone out for being ignorant while butchering the grammar.

Yeah, but..

League history has many examples of middling/poor QB's who've been at the helm of their teams' Super Bowl seasons. Earl Morrall, Trent Dilfer, Joe Kapp, Craig Morton (2 different teams), Vince Ferragamo, David Woodley, Tony Eason, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, Neil O'Donnell, Chris Chandler, Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme, Rex Grossman & Colin Kaepernick. Additionally, a couple crappy QB's led their team to SB glory coming off the bench in the playoffs via injury to the starter; Hostetler & Doug Williams. 5 of these scrap-pilers won the damn game!

My point isn't to blow your point out of the water -tough it's a nice effect, it's about good to very good teams winning through the playoffs, getting to the Big Game and sometimes winning it without stellar QB play. Through less than 2 seasons, is Tyrod Taylor a worse QB than Dilfer, Ferragamo, Woodley, Rypien, Humphries, Collins, Kaep & Grossman? Not IMO.

He is better than all on the list and fits this offense. How many times would EJ have assumed the upright fetal position behind this suspect pass blocking and taken a sack? This is not an O-Line for a pocket QB. Edited by jms62

He is better than all on the list and fits this offense. How many times would EJ have assumed the upright fetal position behind this suspect pass blocking and taken a sack? This is not an O-Line for a pocket QB.

I agree. This past week's Jags game showed how poor that Bills O-line can block at times. Five sacks on Tyrod and I can only think it would have been much, much worse with a pocket QB and someone not so elusive behind center.

While some Bills fans refuse to understand that Tyrod Taylor is the near perfect QB to run Rex Ryan's run first offense and only Russell Wilson, Cam Newton would be a possible better fit.

Like I said in an earlier post, it took Drew Brees a full two years of playing to develop into the player we see today. This may or may not ever happen and he could ultimately become either the two I mentioned or a Colin Kaepernick, RG3.

Taylor is 6-5 this year and I put two of those losses directly on the Bills defense against the NY Jets and Miami. The Bills could have won in Seattle save for some bad calls by the refs and again a defense that couldn't even slow down Wilson in the first half. The QB position isn't as big a concern to me as the Bills defense has yet to beat a QB with a winning record over the last two years. Oakland and Pittsburgh coming up.

But pretty funny nevertheless for calling someone out for being ignorant while butchering the grammar.

He is better than all on the list and fits this offense. How many times would EJ have assumed the upright fetal position behind this suspect pass blocking and taken a sack? This is not an O-Line for a pocket QB.

Comeon and hop on the excuse train.

Better than Rypien, Delhomme, ODonnell, Chandler and Pre injury Kap ? Based on emotions?

This is just silly talk.

Taylor is 6-5 this year and I put two of those losses directly on the Bills defense against the NY Jets and Miami. The Bills could have won in Seattle save for some bad calls by the refs and again a defense that couldn't even slow down Wilson in the first half.

Yea I would take the Miami game off the list. TT was MIA In the 4th and Tannenhill pantsed him. Don't be fooled by the garbagetime TD down two scores to end the game. The "bad calls" vs Seattle were gifted back to us vs the jags.

crusading can be quite exhausting

Says the guy with more posts in this thread than anyone. :lol:

StJtD

It's really pathetic actually. Sad and pathetic. But I have love for all of you. When you hop back on that bandwagon, we won't forget the crusaders that jumped off.

:wub::P:wub:

If we weren't fans of the team, sweetheart, we wouldn't be posting here.

Comeon and hop on the excuse train.

Better than Rypien, Delhomme, ODonnell, Chandler and Pre injury Kap ? Based on emotions?

This is just silly talk.

Yea I would take the Miami game off the list. TT was MIA In the 4th and Tannenhill pantsed him. Don't be fooled by the garbagetime TD down two scores to end the game. The "bad calls" vs Seattle were gifted back to us vs the jags.

Far and away better no questions asked.

I agree. This past week's Jags game showed how poor that Bills O-line can block at times. Five sacks on Tyrod and I can only think it would have been much, much worse with a pocket QB and someone not so elusive behind center.

While some Bills fans refuse to understand that Tyrod Taylor is the near perfect QB to run Rex Ryan's run first offense and only Russell Wilson, Cam Newton would be a possible better fit.

Like I said in an earlier post, it took Drew Brees a full two years of playing to develop into the player we see today. This may or may not ever happen and he could ultimately become either the two I mentioned or a Colin Kaepernick, RG3.

Taylor is 6-5 this year and I put two of those losses directly on the Bills defense against the NY Jets and Miami. The Bills could have won in Seattle save for some bad calls by the refs and again a defense that couldn't even slow down Wilson in the first half. The QB position isn't as big a concern to me as the Bills defense has yet to beat a QB with a winning record over the last two years. Oakland and Pittsburgh coming up.

offense needs a RT.....wait til Mack lines up on Mills.

defense needs a true run stuffing NT & a playmaking safety.

While I agree that the Dolphins almost screwed themselves with all the defensive penalties in allowing the Bills to move right down the field and score in the fourth quarter. And I also see that the Bills couldn't get their run game going against Miami as Shady shouldn't have even played with a bad hamstring, 8 attempts for 11 yards. Along with Gillislee 5 attempts for 20 yards.

I also saw a Bills defense give up 454 yards of offense to the Phins that day. With Miami RB Jay Ajayi rushing for 212 yards!!

Miami also had two scoring drives of 64 yards and 74 yards in the fourth quarter AND the Bills were dominated on both sides of the line that day.

EDIT: Oh, BTW. It was Bills 17 Miami 14 at the start of that 4th quarter and it was was the Bills defense that wore down in giving up those two long drives to the phins in the 4th.

Think of that! Without a solid run game, the Bills were winning that game up until the defense gave up those two long scoring drives to Miami!!

Edited by Nihilarian

Tyrod got sacked 5 times because he holds the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL. (3.7 seconds average vs. Jacksonville), and because he bails out the side of clean pockets running himself into pressure.

Tyrod got sacked 5 times because he holds the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL. (3.7 seconds average vs. Jacksonville), and because he bails out the side of clean pockets running himself into pressure.

show me the WRs on those sacks. those are coverage sacks. also clean pocket + bills O doesnt exist. you're acting like we have Dallas line and just has clean pockets for days.

man why does tryod keep bailing on all of those clean, clean pockets is something i've never said.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

show me the WRs on those sacks. those are coverage sacks. also clean pocket + bills O doesnt exist. you're acting like we have Dallas line and just has clean pockets for days.

You must not have access to the All-22 Film to make such a statement. It's just not true.

I agree he holds the ball far too long and yet he doesn't attempt to force something he isn't sure of...which is what kills even QB's with a better skills set. Tyrod will never be confused with Derek Carr and I doubt the latter would have survived in this teams offense.

I would love to have Derek Carr as the Bills QB or at least someone who would throw more than three times to Watkins all game. The thing is the Bills have Tyrod Taylor and are winning with him at QB AND he isn't the biggest issue with the current team IMO.

I agree he holds the ball far too long and yet he doesn't attempt to force something he isn't sure of...which is what kills even QB's with a better skills set. Tyrod will never be confused with Derek Carr and I doubt the latter would have survived in this teams offense.

I would love to have Derek Carr as the Bills QB or at least someone who would throw more than three times to Watkins all game. The thing is the Bills have Tyrod Taylor and are winning with him at QB AND he isn't the biggest issue with the current team IMO.

I believe Carr and any other QB would flourish with the Bills. TT is the only QB who cant. Watch the All 22. Smh

man why does tryod keep bailing on all of those clean, clean pockets is something i've never said.

It's obvious both in the stands and on the All-22 that guys are running open. I have nothing against Tyrod; I'm merely calling it like I see it.

You must not have access to the All-22 Film to make such a statement. It's just not true.

the cherry-picked pass plays from the all-22 you mean? i've seen joe b's arbitrary grading and Bocephuz's "Sufficient protection means that TT had time to hit his drop and had at least a second to scan the field." oh is that the official clean pocket definition?

Okay. The guy that can't average 200 ypg is better than all the qb's who made it to superbowls.

Are you old enough to see any of those qb's play or just throwing out some blind Tyrod love ?

You are failing to recognize he is throwing far far less than those guys. You are failing to recognize that his ability to escape is the only reason this team is putting up points. Continue cherry picking stats out of context to fit your warped 24x7 agenda of hatred towards Tyrod.. We are putting up the most points since 1992 because of his fit into this offense...

the cherry-picked pass plays from the all-22 you mean? i've seen joe b's arbitrary grading and Bocephuz's "Sufficient protection means that TT had time to hit his drop and had at least a second to scan the field." oh is that the official clean pocket definition?

Tell you what, if you're convinced it's otherwise, why not show us? There have been plenty of sources showing otherwise. Start right here:

http://www.cover1.net/

I mean, here's a guy with no skin in the game, that watches every game on All-22, every week:

Film: #Bills pass pro was great, but Taylor obscures that w/ tendency to move when it gets a little late in the down (eve if pocket clean).

#Bills #Bengals Film: Taylor no pocket poise early on, moved in a perfect pocket a number of times. Johnson sack was another example.

A QB could go to the Pro Bowl every year if he made half the throws that Tyrod Taylor leaves out on the field each week.

#Bills #Bengals Film: Taylor left a Clay 35-yd TD on the field not targeting trips LOS TE deep post (which was plays design).

#Bills #Bengals Film: 2nd play of game Woods open deep. Taylor, frenetic in a roomy pocket, threw to Bush (RAC made it 18 – still bad QBing)

Edited by thebandit27

You are failing to recognize he is throwing far far less than those guys. You are failing to recognize that his ability to escape is the only reason this team is putting up points. Continue cherry picking stats out of context to fit your warped 24x7 agenda of hatred towards Tyrod.. We are putting up the most points since 1992 because of his fit into this offense...

Isn't the entire league scoring more points than it was in 1992?